Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 50cc - 124cc

Old 01-17-2014, 05:51 PM   #1

2013 Tao Tao ATM 50 carb upgrade

Can anyone with more knowledge than I do recommend a good carb upgrade for my 2013 tao tao ATM 50? I just want something that is more reliable (starting, idleing, etc.). Improving top speed isn't important to me. Thanks for any advice you have.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 01-17-2014, 07:22 PM   #2

I can't help ya, But I just wanted to say... Welcome to SD.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy View Post
Can anyone with more knowledge than I do recommend a good carb upgrade for my 2013 tao tao ATM 50? I just want something that is more reliable (starting, idleing, etc.). Improving top speed isn't important to me. Thanks for any advice you have.
Your carb should good..only prob is TaoTao seals the carb so you can't adjust them..clean them..or set float height. Also they are jetted too lean and burn up the piston..so they need to be upjetted..but you have to drill the 'shear' screws out to do it..or just get a stock gy6 50 replacement carb. Here are a few links to good quality replacements at unreal prices. These are what I use for Scoots with sealed carbs.
This one is brand new.. http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Unused-D...e51f86&vxp=mtr
So are these..and all work on your Scoot.. http://www.ebay.com/itm/50CC-GY6-CHI...387da0&vxp=mtr

Old 01-18-2014, 12:16 AM   #4

http://www.scooterunderground.ca/pro...ters_photo.jpg
Carsdad is right, you need a CV 18 mm carberator that has an adjustable air/fuel mix.

Good link. Gln/.

--------------------------
2009 Jonway 50 4t
Old 01-18-2014, 02:49 PM   #5

Thanks folks for the warm welcome and advice. Carasdad, would the carbs you suggested have the desired larger jets installed or would I need to get a jet kit as well? Thanks again, I am a Chinese scooter virgin at this point.

Old 01-18-2014, 06:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy View Post
Thanks folks for the warm welcome and advice. Carasdad, would the carbs you suggested have the desired larger jets installed or would I need to get a jet kit as well? Thanks again, I am a Chinese scooter virgin at this point.
You can never tell. Some I buy come with a #80 jet..some come with a #85. sadly most of the stock carbs that come on Scoots are #72..#74 and #76. Which is too lean for most folks. As to what jet you need..well it all depends on your elevation and environment. Always start rich then go down in size until you have it running well and the spark plug is a nice caramel brown. Too lean and the plug will be ashen grey to white..which is dangerously lean. But as most here know by experience..TaoTao ships scoots with the carbs set lean to pass emissions testing. But what ends up happening is it burns up the piston. Jets are cheap..so just a wild guess to put you in the ballpark you could try a #82 if the engine is stock(no big bore kit) You may not need a jet kit..unless in the future you plan on adding a big bore kit..performance pipe or free flow air filter. Adding those will require you to change jetting..but that is not a difficult thing to do. In fact it is part of the fun that we folks here have in tinkering with these lil 50cc Scoots..cause nothing makes ya prouder than a well performing properly tuned Scoot..vice the out of the crate turtles we buy them as..
Old 02-12-2014, 01:02 AM   #7

a good replacement is the Keihin 19mm cvk carb, it comes with an #85 jet which is nice and rich for a 50cc, and will support the 47mm big bore kit. Usually around $50. and if you have a taotao THROW your fuel filter away, they let through enough particulate to clog your pilot jet in weeks.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:13 PM   #8

I jumped start to a 22 mm carb worked fin