Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Media :: Reviews :: Classifieds :: General > General Scooter Discussion

Old 01-30-2013, 07:50 AM   #1

Waterproofing Electrics.......

Hello!

I've finally got a delivery date for my ped after some delay in Royal Mail with the finance documents, and conveniently it's the day after payday! So I'll be around the local auto shops tomorrow with a list to follow that PDI instruction a few of you have been good enough to pass on (anti rust paint, oil change bottles etc).

I was just wondering, seeing as this is a commuting machine and will be abused in all weathers, is it worth waterproofing the electrics when I go through and check all the connections? My first thought was a quick squirt of Duck Oil as I secure each one. Has anyone got any experience of this problem, or product? I just don't want to be stuck halfway to work in the rain waiting for the breakdown cover I got with my insurance to show up! Lol

Thanks for your help,
Ian

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 01-30-2013, 07:55 AM   #2

Hi Ian
Try Corrosion X
http://www.corrosionx.com/electronics.html
Its also great for protecting any of the exposed metal components from rust water damage and corrosion
http://www.corrosionx.com/corrosionx.html
Take care and ride safely
Yours Hank
Old 01-30-2013, 10:25 AM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to techie610
After I redone all the ground points, connectors, and tied at the wires up nice and neatly to the frame, I sprayed them all with Water Proofing from a can. I used the stuff that gets sprayed on tents and such.
Even put some on the front of a pair of pants, incase I cant get my rain gear on in time. Just a little spray, and I bounced a cup of water of denim jeans. lol
68 ( GPS Verified )
76 MPG
Few Mods, Lots-O-Tweaks

2003 Vento Zip R3i TurboCam
50cc 2T
8,500+ Mi.
62mph ( GPS Verified )
90 MPG
Seriously Modded

Check out the new group for the Mountain Area!
http://www.scootdawg.net/group.php?groupid=4

Old 01-30-2013, 12:09 PM   #4

Always waterproof all connections. I did mine with silicone caulking gun, of course only the connections that are far away from heat sources.
50cc 139QMB, 7g sliders, manual petcock w/ transparent lines, Naraku CDI, Naraku belt, high output racing coil, 18.4mm CVK clone w/ #85 mj and #38 idle, needle @ leanest, OEM pipe mod, Kenda tires, NGK Iridium, lots of LED mods, 2.61L/100km (90 MPG)
Old 01-30-2013, 09:23 PM   #5

Dielectric Grease

A good product to use on your electrical connections is a silicone based dielectric grease, it will last for years instead of months.

Second best is a product you can spray on like this 3M Silicone Spray.

HAPPY SCOOTIN!

Old 01-12-2015, 04:02 PM   #6

This probably isn't kosher , but it isn't the first time that I used something because I was to cheap to throw it away. A few yrs ago , I bought some silicone spray (by CRC) to use on my garage door cables. I used it on my electric connections on my then present Bike & it worked fantastically. I wouldn't recommend it but it worked! Irish
Old 02-22-2015, 01:09 AM   #7

FYI, the best way to make the connections weatherproof is something like
http://www.americansealantsinc.com/3...rade-silicone/
Dielectric grease is good if you can assure that you coat EVERYTHING metallic in your connectors. DO NOT use regular silicone caulkings for this if you are interested in long term reliability - when they cure, they release corrosive fumes such as methanol.