Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Media :: Reviews :: Classifieds :: General > General Scooter Discussion

Old 02-14-2013, 03:56 PM   #1

Any thoughts about 50cc "Ice Bear" scooters?

In need of 2 new 50cc scooters and there's a dealer local selling BMS and Ice bear scooters. I know BMS would be better but more $$ so wondering about the Ice bears. anybody know anything about them?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-14-2013, 04:10 PM   #2

Hi
Welcome aboard
Pleased to meet you
You need you talk with Jim aka rapidjim as he is a top notch Icebear dealer, fellow member, and a great friend
http://www.scootdawg.net/member.php?u=4152
Take care and ride safely
Yours Hank
Old 02-14-2013, 04:48 PM   #3

Will do, thanks and its great to meet all of you guys here!

Old 02-14-2013, 04:50 PM   #4

Every one I know loves their ice bears. Take hanks advice and contact rapidjim, he's the guy you want to deal with.
Good luck.

Be Big,
AMAC

SYM RV200 Evo
Lance "Cali Classic" 125
MC-95-250 Reverse Trike

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/amac1680/rv200-evo
Old 02-14-2013, 05:05 PM   #5

Yep, RapidJim is smarter than the average (ice) Bear.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:15 AM   #6

Thanks so much for the nice comments. I really didn't want to answer this thread and be accused of trying to sell something. Firedreamer did send me a PM and I did answer it.

Again thanks all!
Old 02-15-2013, 09:32 AM   #7

Speaking of selling something, where can I get one of those cute fuzzy polar bears for my very own?
Old 02-15-2013, 10:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidjim View Post
Thanks so much for the nice comments. I really didn't want to answer this thread and be accused of trying to sell something. Firedreamer did send me a PM and I did answer it.

Again thanks all!

Jim/Owner
Rapid Repair
Perferred Ice Bear Dealer
Hi Jim
I cant pressume to speak for the others but i would never think that about you
Take care and ride safely dear friend
Yours Hank
Old 02-15-2013, 11:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by spandi View Post
Speaking of selling something, where can I get one of those cute fuzzy polar bears for my very own?

Which one
Old 02-15-2013, 11:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by inuyasha View Post
Hi
I cant pressume to speak for the others but i would never think that about you
Take care and ride safely dear friend
Yours Hank
Thanks Hank, sad to say but I have gotten a couple nasty replies to that subject before. Kinda makes one gun shy.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:58 PM   #11

I'd have to say, don't put your hopes up too high with BMS.
It's a great company for sure, but it's not like they create bikes that float over the ground neither.

My BMS TBX260 EFI would rattle and rumble, and the CVT belt was in need of replacement after only 2000 miles! The passenger's back support ripped open without reason (too much pressure on the foam?), and the exhaust bolts fell off resulting in a bad exhaust gasket.
The plastics did not match on the BMS (plastic holes and pins), and I had to mount the front windshield with 4 of the 5 mounts, because 1 mount was bad, and another mounting hole was out of alignment with the windshield.
Some of the items on the BMS are held together with plastic pins instead of screws; and the bike I had was way too complex for a commoner to fix. No mechanics want to work on it either; and there was very little on-line support from the community (like forums, youtube), to even figure out most of the issues.
I had to dis-mount most of the dashboard plastics, before I could reach the cooler tank, not to mention it took me over 30 minutes, working with sharp fingercutting plastics, that won't align with the holes on the frames they're supposed to fit on;
and from the factory, they put too much brake fluid in the reservoir,causing it to be under pressure.
The front brake caliper locked up in open position, and started to drag on the brake disc...

I sold it after 6 months, because of too many issues, and it really was a too heavy bike.
It's only a 260cc, but it was as heavy as a burgman. I could not push the bike out of my own strength on anything but solid ground, as the tires would sink in the sand, and that together with it's colossal weight of over 400LBS (with fluids), made it IMHO an overgrown, overpriced, disappointment!

I wasn't much impressed with it at all, as I am with the much cheaper Tao bike I currently have.
The tao runs way more quiet and smooth, is more fun to ride too.
Not to mention, the Tao is about 1/3rd the BMS price; so don't think because it's not a high priced BMS, that you won't at least have as much fun!

The BMS is more like a chinese mercedes scoot. I know how high Americans value Mercedes, and in the eighties, they where great cars! However in the nineties, they where one source of disaster in Europe, when they started to get all those computer chips in them!
Up 'till the nineties mercedes was solid mechanical, but in baby shoes electronical, and the cars would often just shut down, chip malfunction, speedometer or dashboard malfunction, just because of bad chips.
Mercedes quickly went back to analog cars, with electronic assist, instead of electronic control; and they gained back popularity, although by little.
Chips still malfunctioned, causing drivers to go nuts because of the non-stop 'fasten seatbelt' alarm that went off, without reason (probably faulty sensors); etc.

Mercedes only was able to correct itself in the 2000's, and started producing good cars again.

BMS is in that phase where they combine cheap chinese engines and transmissions, with quality materials, that have not been tested nearly as much as their engines.
So don't think too highly of BMS. They're good, but really not that good that it justifies a steep price increase over other bikes.

So far, the tao did better on my list of experiences, than the BMS (granted, the BMS was a way bigger, and more complex bike).

One thing BMS does, is it's using the same engine and transmission as the other bikes, but put more metal in their bikes.
Handlebar ends are made out of solid metal (weigh about 1/2-1 LBS each).
They have a lot of metal, and nicer stuff, like a gas strut to open the seat.
In actuality, as long as you don't drop the bike, a lot of the metal can be replaced with plastic easily, and you don't need to have a gas strut to open the seat (although it is pretty nice).