Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Media :: Reviews :: Classifieds :: General > General Scooter Discussion

Old 10-25-2019, 11:17 PM   #1

The wheelie of (almost) death!

So I have a 98 Zuma. Bone stock. Sat for years before I got it. Being cheap, I salvaged the OEM carb, even though it was mega-corroded and rotted out. It has been a reliable little tank for the last 3000 miles. So, wheelie of death? I was slowing down at a red light and it suddenly went WOT without warning. It wheelie'd up, threw me off the back but I hung on, managed to squeeze the rear brake, front came down hard and I fell on the nose of the Corbin seat, knocking the wind outta me, hit the kill switch (still tried to run for a few seconds) and it finally shut down. Zuma NEVER hit the ground! Little scooter is still minty fresh! Called the wife for a pick-up rescue. The throttle cable is kinda sticky but I think a reed cage screw backed out sucking in straight air. Or the top of the carb worked loose (JB Welded it on!). Gonna pull the whole intake system apart and buy new parts. I have it sold but the guy has yet to put down the remainder of the deposit, so I think I'm still owning it. Please dont re-use rotted out carbs, no matter how cheap you are! Bad things happen!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-26-2019, 07:54 PM   #2

You were really lucky (or really good). Most of my stuck throttle stories involved a tree and pain.
Old 10-28-2019, 10:02 AM   #3

Pure luck that I didnt drop it, or get hurt! If I was cat I would have cashed in 3 lives! Ordered a new carb as the OEM one is just plain trashed. Also ordered some go faster goodies because I never learn.

Login or Register to Remove Ads