Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Media :: Reviews :: Classifieds :: General > General Scooter Discussion

Old 01-26-2013, 03:12 PM   #1

Thumbs Up Scooter Blanket

I hate the cold.

I really hate it . I am basically a walking scar and scars don't care for the cold. Since I was trying to ride as much as possible this winter I started looking for ways to stop the cold. I wondered how the folks in Europe could ride year round and about that time some one on one of the forums I am a member of said something about scooter blankets. I googled them and there are some awesome ones 3-4 weeks away and over $100. Apparently no one in the US makes them. I didn't want to wait because the extra powerful cold doesn't last long around here and I didn't want to not ride for 3-4 weeks so I looked at them and figured I could make one. The hard part was the pattern of course and it took about 6 hours to sew something that worked and thank God my wife was around to take pictures of me on the scooter holding a measuring tape. So it's not perfect but it works.

Outside

Inside

It took about a yard and a half of heavy duty canvas and another yard and half of micro fleece, some heavy duty thread a bit of velcro, 2' of thin pre-made straps, a bit of elastic and time.

It works very well at capturing the heat from your engine and keeping you nice and warm. I still wear long-johns, pants, and riding pants under it and with all that I can ride in the early morning hours before the sun is up in sub zero temps and not be even slightly cold. The hard part was fitting it over the gas tank bump and figuring out how to attach it to me to keep it from flapping about in a way that I could still get my feet down. It straps to my waste doubly under my jacket and over my pants in addition to the 3 leg straps.

Do not fear mistakes. You will know failure. Continue to reach out.
- Benjamin Franklin

Join the HARDCORE

1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Last edited by scootnwinn; 01-26-2013 at 03:25 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:16 PM   #2

You one resourceful individual.
Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment[/SIZE]
Old 01-26-2013, 03:25 PM   #3

I have been looking at them and thinking about them . Post some more pic .

John

Old 01-26-2013, 03:29 PM   #4

What would you like to see and I'll take them. No one is home right now to take any with it on me and me on the bike but I can get specific close ups now let me know what you want to see.

- Benjamin Franklin

Join the HARDCORE

Old 01-26-2013, 03:34 PM   #5

does it attack to the scooter , so wait till you can get help with pics on the scooter .

John

Old 01-26-2013, 03:47 PM   #6

I thought about attaching it to the scooter but decided that may prevent my emergency departures so it attaches to me at my calves and lightly around my thighs. i'll take some good pics this evening when the family returns.

- Benjamin Franklin

Join the HARDCORE

Old 01-26-2013, 04:19 PM   #7

Thumbs Up

Hi Rob
Outstanding
Great job
Ive been looking for quite some time into getting one of these
http://www.corazzo.net/scooter-lap-apron
http://www.corazzo.net.au/heated-lap-apron
I may just try and whip one up as you did though now that ive seen yours
Take care and ride safely dear friend
Yours Hank
Old 01-26-2013, 04:21 PM   #8

I can whip one up for you guys if you give some measurements and some dough for the fabric. Or I can send you a detailed pattern drawn to scale

- Benjamin Franklin

Join the HARDCORE

Old 01-26-2013, 04:45 PM   #9

You know, one member once suggested me a ponjo. Those cheap $1 ponjo's; and they work quite fine in cutting wind.
Just as long as you got warm clothes under them, the plastic ponjo's don't allow the wind to go deep in your clothing, robbing you of precious temperatures!

I always have one with me on my scoot, not only for the rain, but also for the wind.

Which is something I'd suggest you to look at, if your blanket is rain proof or not...
Old 01-26-2013, 04:54 PM   #10

I hate cold and I am also a walking scar. I just keep adding layers, but then I sort of move like the Stay-Puf Marshmallow man. Hank, when did they start calling skirts lap aprons? Oh, it's a masculinity thing XD. Got it. Here's what you'll see in the future (if it doesn't already exist): something that is as portable and quick to set up as a shock-corded, fiberglass pole tent. It'll come in a few different sizes and basically enclose all but your head inside of it, attaching flexibly at handlebars, foot pegs, and rear rack. It will all fit into something half the size of a bread bag. Just a matter of when and who makes it Nice homemade work, scootnwinn; necessity is the mother of invention. Or improvisation, as it were.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutzthedeal View Post
I hate cold and I am also a walking scar. I just keep adding layers, but then I sort of move like the Stay-Puf Marshmallow man. Hank, when did they start calling skirts lap aprons? Oh, it's a masculinity thing XD. Got it. Here's what you'll see in the future (if it doesn't already exist): something that is as portable and quick to set up as a shock-corded, fiberglass pole tent. It'll come in a few different sizes and basically enclose all but your head inside of it, attaching flexibly at handlebars, foot pegs, and rear rack. It will all fit into something half the size of a bread bag. Just a matter of when and who makes it Nice homemade work, scootnwinn; necessity is the mother of invention. Or improvisation, as it were.
Hi
Thats a great idea bravo
I like this bet its toasty warm inside the enclosure
http://www.gizmag.com/honda-areodyna...version/14071/
Take care and ride safely dear friend
Yours Hank
Old 01-26-2013, 05:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodigit View Post
You know, one member once suggested me a ponjo. Those cheap $1 ponjo's; and they work quite fine in cutting wind.
Just as long as you got warm clothes under them, the plastic ponjo's don't allow the wind to go deep in your clothing, robbing you of precious temperatures!

I always have one with me on my scoot, not only for the rain, but also for the wind.

Which is something I'd suggest you to look at, if your blanket is rain proof or not...
I don't need the blanket when it's raining because the temp is above freezing. All my gear is water proof and is quite sufficient at temps above 20. The blanket is for temps under that and if we get precipitation at those temps it's snow and my windshield prevents all of that from hitting me as long as I'm moving and my commute has only 3 stoplights. Thanks for the suggestion and I think you mean a rain poncho which won't cover my legs like this does or trap heat all that well. I don't like the idea of that thing flapping around at 75 mph either.

Thanks for bringing this out though as it makes it clear the blanket only covers my legs

- Benjamin Franklin

Join the HARDCORE

Old 01-26-2013, 05:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutzthedeal View Post
I saw some of these when I was researching there are very similar things out there now hopefully someone will bring them over here some day.

Thanks for the props guys

- Benjamin Franklin

Join the HARDCORE

Old 01-26-2013, 05:31 PM   #14

I used to wear snowmobile pants. They were effective.

I also tried a poncho when it was raining but it was a storm and the wind blew it up in my face. I decided that was a bad idea.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenS View Post
I used to wear snowmobile pants. They were effective.

I also tried a poncho when it was raining but it was a storm and the wind blew it up in my face. I decided that was a bad idea.
I'm picturing this at 50mph or so, and as wrong as I know it is, I'm laughing. I hope the Gods forgive me.