Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 50cc - 124cc

Old 07-05-2017, 12:10 AM   #1

Tao tao atm50-wont start (49cc)

Hello folks!
So I bought this tao tao 1 month ago, I have 444 kilometers on it. And all of a sudden it wont start up.
I changed the engine oil at 300 as it says in the manual.
So What i found out is, the spark plug is fine, yet I replaced it. The fuel line to the carburetor is fine. I don't get any moisture on my fingers while pressing it on the spark plug socket and cranking the scooter.
So there must be something wrong in between the carburetor and the spark plug.
This is my first time dealing with scooters and I don't know a lot of stuff about it.

Thanks in advance for any help

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-05-2017, 10:19 AM   #2

Trial and error, Jack. Remove the plug and check for spark. Open the float bowl and check for a stuck float.
Old 07-05-2017, 01:46 PM   #3

I checked the spark plug, it's fine. Still replaced it with NGK.
Thanks for the tip. I'll open up the float bowl and revert back.
I don't remember where, but on some forum i read that fuel with ethanol is bad for the scooter. Is that true? I never really cared about that. I use the 93 octane premium but most of the gas stations have some % of ethanol.

Old 07-05-2017, 01:50 PM   #4

Sometimes, even though they are new or low miles, left over trash or gunk from the assembly process will clog filters and such. Wheelbender pointed you in the right direction. Look for spark (I use a spark plug tester from Pep-Boys) and pull the drain on the bowl of the carb and see what does or does not come out. If no spark some scooters have a fuse around the battery that will blow. Let us know what progress you have made or if you still hit a wall!
Old 07-05-2017, 02:07 PM   #5

Thank you so much. I'll get some time tonight and i will check that out. I love the quick responses here.

Old 07-05-2017, 11:21 PM   #6

So, I detached the carburetor, and let all the gas inside flow out, tried to figure out how to open it, couldn't, got frustrated, put it back together, Started the scooter and boom it's running. Lol I have no idea what was wrong and what worked out. But I am happy it's working now. Thanks all you lovely guys for the instant help. I am much indebted
Old 07-06-2017, 07:51 AM   #7

I'm guessing some dirt blocking the jet or a stuck float. Moving the carb around probably dislodged the dirt or jiggled the float enough to cause it to work properly again. You must have one of the newer EPA carbs. they don't want you opening those things and changing the jets but it can be done.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:21 PM   #8

Sorry for the late reply. I have been busy heavily with my internship. I think you are right and as you said the carburetor has lots of "screws" which can't be opened up. I never got any moisture on my fingers when pressing on the spark plug socket. I assembled everything because of frustration. And it worked out.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:26 PM   #9

Electric start is not working as intended.

So after the assembly and as the scooter started to work, It happens that when the scooter is idle overnight it would need to be started with a kick in the morning, the electric start won't work then. But after I ride it, it would work usually if there is not a big time gap after I turn off the engine. But again if it would lie idle for 4-5 hours, it requires a kick to start, does that mean my battery needs a recharge?
The battery is new as the scooter itself but I think I might have drained the battery when my scooter won't start up (the previous issue).
Old 07-18-2017, 10:22 AM   #10

Check the batteries voltage in the morning and see if the voltage is low. I know its a new battery but if its dis-charging for some reason you will need to find out whats causing it. I had a old car (60 Impala) and I had to put a quick disconnect on the battery when the car was off. Had a parasitic drain. Ended up junking the car so I never found out what the problem was. Now, if the voltage is correct and it just wont turn over, hence needing to kick it, I would guess the carb is slowly flooding out over night. Could also be the petcock is not fully shutting off thats causing flooding. Last thing is to see what voltage the stator is putting out. Could be weak and not properly recharging the battery. Double check the connections to the battery for tightness and cleanliness. Finally, find the main ground on the scooter if possible and check that connection just like the battery connections. The fact that you said you pulled the carb and it started working makes me think its carb related. Float issue or petcock seeping when turned off.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:53 PM   #11

If you have a vacuum valve which will open to get fuel you need to check for hairline cracks. or just jump it out to test to see if that's the problem. As far as charging the batter you should check all connecting points to be clean and tight.

Tags
49cc chinese scooter, taotao