Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > Custom Builds

Old 08-12-2013, 09:27 PM   #16

My bike is currently accumulating rust.
I stopped the project, because it became more expensive, and less reliable than a scooter.
Gas mileage is similar to my ATM50 anyway.
The 2 stroke engines have a very low Torque at low RPM, meaning at peak RPM, they could pull a 32T sprocket, but you have to pedal the heck out of them, in order to just be able to maintain 15MPH!
The torque is not high enough to overcome 15MPH with a 32T sprocket, but should you somehow miraculously get the bike to 35+ MPH, I suppose that the engine torque will be higher, and maintain a speed of ~40MPH.

36T is really the smallest I'd go on these engines, should you still want to be able to accelerate somewhat!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-14-2013, 10:12 PM   #17

Motorized bikes do require attention before and after almost every ride. My 2t was stock, and cruised at 25mph with a 39t rear sprocket. It was much easier to maintain and ride in traffic after I installed a centrifugal clutch. I reluctantly sold it two weeks ago. I enjoyed the tinkering.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:52 AM   #18

I've had two of these in the past. They're a whole lot of fun, feels a little more exciting going 35 on a bicycle than on a scooter! Just make sure you get some real high quality tires rated for speed, I had a tire slip off the rim while I was going around a corner (pretty wide corner) at 35 and fell real hard. My head smacked the ground hard! Thankfully I was wearing a motorcycle helmet!

Old 04-12-2015, 09:42 AM   #19

I'm glad your weren't hurt, Gy6. You are dead on about the tires. Once you begin to cruise at speeds above 30 mph, in my opinion, you need tires, wheels, brakes and other components from a good downhill mountain bike. The downhill bikes are heavy, but designed to be durable at speeds above 30 mph.
Old 05-02-2015, 09:22 AM   #20

Here is my e-bike. The kit came with the batteries and controller mounted on the rear cargo rack. Low speed handling was terrible with all that weight on the back. I moved the hefty SLA batteries to the frame triangle and mounted the controller in an old fuel tank. I still have some work to do on that battery box, but the bike is much easier to ride now.

Last edited by wheelbender6; 05-02-2015 at 09:24 AM. Reason: spelling