Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 125cc - 249cc

Old 05-12-2016, 11:39 PM   #1

Question Chinese Scooter Frame Stretch

Hello to all Scoot Dawgz!

This is basically my first post on the forum aside from my hello post in the noob section. I hope I'm posting this question in the correct place!

I purchased a TaoTao BWS-150 to mess around with this summer about a month ago, it was $895 delivered to my door. I had the typical Chinese Scooter problems from the very get go, I had to replace spark plug, coil and ignition immediately on it. Front brake fluid looked like some nasty jello and sawdust from sitting in a hot TX warehouse for 3 years. Anyhow... on with my question.

My question is, who makes/sells frame stretch kits for TaoTao Chinese scooters?

I keep seeing these stretched scooters and I have to admit some of them look sweet.
The last thing I want to do is drop hundreds on a kit that I can't use though.
This scooter is sort of different so I'm going to message TaoTao directly with my questions about the frame on it. The scooter looks exactly like a Yamaha Zuma but it has the GY6 150cc engine in it that I wanted. My question for them is if the frame is identical to the Yamaha Zuma frame? If that is the case I should be able to buy a frame stretch kit for a BWS Zuma???

Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-17-2016, 06:32 AM   #2

"Frame stretching kits" do not exist. You can use a typical "maddog engine isolation mount" to really screw up your suspension and geometry, if you wish to, and you will need a longer brake cable for the rear, longer fuel line, and a longer throttle cable.

That said, stretched bikes handle like shit, routinely snap engine cases, brake poorly, and are far less stable at all speeds. I highly reccommend NOT stretching.

4T 150cc 157 qmj

24mm carb w 115 main jet and paper cone air filter

Manual petcock w Tygon fuel lines

Scrappy Dog Scooters Retro-slash stainless straight-thru exhaust

RED spring clutch

Adjustable CDI (brand unknown, it's blue and red and works great!)

KOSO high performance variator w 12g sliders

Gates Powerlink 835-20-30 belt

GPS verified 65mph on flats.
Old 05-21-2016, 08:59 PM   #3

Do you have welding experience, SwedishChef? If not, it may be better to stretch a few bicycle frames for practice before stretching a motor scooter.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-25-2016, 03:03 AM   #4

Unfortunately I have no welding experience wheelbender, I stick welded once and I sucked at it.

Thank you for the info on extending the frame BlueBoy, I suppose I should rethink doing it, since it messes up the geometry and suspension. Last thing I need is for it to handle like shit. I was aware of the longer rear brake cable and throttle cable. I just naturally assumed they handled ok since I see so many of them in the local scooter clubs.

Tags
bws, frame extension, frame stretch, gy6 150cc, zuma