Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 50cc - 124cc

Old 04-05-2014, 01:05 AM   #16

Send a message via Skype™ to NickDH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhompin45 View Post
Does any one know if that needle is fixed or adjustable?
Whatcha mean?
You can bend it back in place. It's really hard to line it up just right though.
Either have some good teeth, or needle nose pliers. It happened to me twice today.
Or by adjustable, do you mean moving the washer?
Speaker System
Accessory Outlet added

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-05-2014, 04:36 PM   #17

Ya lol some carbs you can adjust the washer up or down to adjust fuel.its mostly on like dirtbikes though. I have never opened my scooter one up before.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:44 PM   #18

Thank you everyone, I've got the feeler. There were several sets of different sizes, I got the smallest, and hope it's the right size!

The valve is beneath the top? I keep delaying the next steps as I worry I'll screw something up I don't know how to fix, but it's not exactly running now.. That needle popping out was just one example.. Yes, I did get the needle put back in Rhomp, but it's really soft, and while I straightened it, I just straightned it with my fingers, and I think it's still slightly wavy.. (?)

That's good to know that a scooter has an automatic valve peacock and motorcycles have a manual one. That's the one I'm looking for that might be stuck open, right? Does 'valve peacock' mean it's in with the valves? Are the valves under the carb?? Since I've had speed throttle issues too, maybe that's all related, and simply cleaning up the area and adjusting the valves will resolve both issues.................... :-)

Rhomp, when you say 'inside the bowl, is that the part immediately under the spring pin, plastic part, and rubber ring? Do I have to take the whole thing out?

I'll get back to work tomorrow seeing what I can figure out, and fixing the parts I can first. I'll re-post after my efforts, things just don't look the same in person. With pins flying, springs popping, and more bolts when I put everything back together then there was when I started, I'm seriously thinking about recording, and posting for your entertainment-

Thank you for all the support!

Ride like your life depends on it!

Old 04-05-2014, 09:56 PM   #19

Ok where to start... The valve petcock just means it has a valve ( a turntable knob) to shut the fuel off and on. The valves are the very front of the motor you have to pull the head valve cover off which is 4 or 6 bolts depending on which style you have. Ill look for a video for you. When I refer to bowl on the carb it's on the bottom of the carb. The carb has to be removed for this. The whole unit that the spring and needle that you took out is the carb. Usually it can be removed with just a screw driver to remove the clamps on both sides and pull the vaccum lines off. Ill look for a video on this also.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:09 PM   #20

Here is a valve adjust video. Check out this video on YouTube:<br/><br/> Here is one for carb removel it's not a great video but gives you an idea. Check out this video on YouTube:<br/><br/>http://youtu.be/ejIXxf32Aag Maybe try a google search of gy6 carb removel or YouTube and just watch videos I forgot to say another step before you also have to remove the throdle cable on the side I'm sure there are better videos that show this process.

Old 04-05-2014, 10:12 PM   #21

If I was a bit more of a techie I would post my own video but my phone memory is full and I don't have a video camera.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:31 AM   #22

Send a message via Skype™ to NickDH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhompin45 View Post
Ya lol some carbs you can adjust the washer up or down to adjust fuel.its mostly on like dirtbikes though. I have never opened my scooter one up before.
My GY6 has it.
Sorry for hijacking.
Speaker System
Accessory Outlet added
Old 04-06-2014, 01:32 AM   #23

Don't worry your fine. It's all related to this topic. I am bad about hijacking some times. I get yelled at over at advriders for it. But people are more chill here.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:59 PM   #24

Hi Everyone!

I've been tinkering with the scooter, and haven't been able to find out that much. I couldn't find the real carburetor under the pin, but finally decided it must be right in the pipe behind the tube, but can't figure out how to get to it! I think I have to take off more of the seat, or something.

The bike was spilling gas from that very area though, so I'm sure it's the problem. There is a flexible rubber tube that runs from the bottom of the carburetor to an air filter, or something, and the gas seems to have run from the carburetor, down that tube, and flooded out the foam filter under the panel. I've been researching the manual, but haven't gotten it apart to the true carb-

I was already having gas problems, but when I put the carb pin back in, it was still slightly wavy, with a long, slight bend. It still drops straight into the hole, so is it okay that it isn't 'perfectly' straight?

As soon as I can figure out how to get to the carb, I'm going to spray it out with carb cleaner, which I think will help. I think something is stuck open with gunk, or something..

Old 04-10-2014, 06:09 PM   #25

Check out my posts. Especially the one flooding BAAAAAAAD. Maybe it will help. I try to be very detailed as far as symptoms and corrections. It will run like crap for a while if you overfill the fuel tank. My float stuck at 100 kilometers or less and left me stranded. She's purring now though and I've had worry free 900 kilometers after the work.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:14 PM   #26

WHOA!

Overfilling the gas tank is bad?

When I ran out that other day before it did this, I asked for 4.00, but as soon as I put the nozzle in, it shut off, since it went basically to the bottom of the tank. I held it at the opening to fill, and filled it till it was FULL...

Could that perchance be related to the problem?

I will check out that post before I try removing seats tomorrow.

Thanks!

Old 04-11-2014, 01:31 AM   #27

It depends yes if it's to full it can cause problems. I have a metal cross piece about an inch below the top of the neck I just fill it up to there. It needs some space for air. The gas tank needs to breath. I was riding around with my friend once and his just died so we checked the gas and it had some fuel in it and it started back up but another couple miles it died again. Needless to say he had to keep the gas cap off till he got home. I just don't remember what was wrong. He had to replace either the gas cap or there is a vent hose on the top of the tank that might of been kinked or something I just remember it was a simple fix.
Old 04-12-2014, 05:30 PM   #28

The reason why mine used to goof up if overfilled is because the vent to the fuel tank goes through the emissions system. It will get raw fuel into the "charcoal" canister which makes it's way into the vacuum line and the scooter runs very very rich until the tank level drops and the evap system drys out. I fixed mine so it will never do that again.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:38 PM   #29

...But, What KIND of Carburetor??

Hi Y'all,

I'm getting a new carburetor for my 2010 Taotao 50, and don't know what to buy. I saw a couple links to some auctions, but they've expired, and I don't know what identifiers I'm looking for.

Could someone tell me what kind of carb to buy? I only recognize the shape, and don't know that that identifies it as the right kind.

I typed in Taotao, and found a 150 cc 27mm one, but is that too big for my engine?

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Luked; 04-13-2014 at 09:28 PM. Reason: added details
Old 04-13-2014, 10:20 PM   #30

Its not that hard all u need is basic tools put it back together the way it came out .. if u have grage put a piece of board down and put the parts u take of on that do not be on grass or gravel is to lose little screws ... take ur time look up things on u tube .. it could be flooded or u need a nee needle .. hope u get it back going feel free to ask me q's im on my 5th gy6 I know how it can be .. I taught my self alot just messing round with them and from youtube as the form