Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 50cc - 124cc

Old 05-14-2014, 03:56 PM   #1

New to scooter repair/headlight & idle question

I repair our motorcycles but am new to repairing scooters. My son has a 2008 50cc Eagle scooter GY6. Ive replaced starter, carb, fuel lines, fuel filter and valve head. And spark plug. Ive got a couple questions that may sound stupid by i honestly am not sure about because our big bikes are differeant and do not do this...lol
On the headlight: this scooter has 2 front lights that are on all the time. The middle light(headlight)only turns on when you push the high beam on. Is that normal. Or is the headlight bulb need replacing? Because if turn high beam off the headlight is off and just the 2 small lights stay on. I know crazy question. Sorry.
Also is there a way to adjust the headlight, since to be higher then should be, but that could be normal too.
Rear brake:
Our bikes do not do this either so need to be sure if this is normal with scooters or not. Ok, ok when were adjusting the idle speed on the carb (new) we noticed with scoot on centerstand if you press the rear brake(left side) (yes this one you have to press brake to start bike)- anyways when you press the brake while running it idles fast but you release brake and it idles down. Is this norm or why would this be doing this.

This scoot was in rough shape when he got it and just trying to help get it going good. Thank you for you time, help, and patience.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-14-2014, 11:59 PM   #2

The headlight should always be on. I would assume your low beam element is burnt out and its time for a new headlight.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:04 PM   #3

I have noticed that on my kids Tao the low beam doesn't turn on until the bike is running. It might be a protect the battery switch mechanism. I thought the bulb was shot but once the bike is running so does the low beam. Sadly the high beam will work with the bike off. Seems kinda backwards.

One tidbit of advice for people, from my motorcycle days, always run with your high beam (especially during the day) when you can. That way if an element burns out, it is your high beam and you don't have to worry about running at night with no light or blinding people coming at you.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:44 PM   #4

I have never thought about using the highbeam at day for that but it makes sense good idea.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:47 PM   #5

From my understanding the lights shouldn't work unless its started with ac system and they do with the dc system that one way of telling the difference. On mine nether would work when the motor was not running but I had it die on me a couple nights while riding so I rewired the lights so they come on with the ignition that way if it does stall I still have lights so people can see me.

Old 05-21-2014, 03:58 AM   #6

Quote:
anyways when you press the brake while running it idles fast but you release brake and it idles down. Is this norm or why would this be doing this.
Mine does not do that. I would suspect that the brake cable going to the rear might be interfering with the throttle cable or cables. Mine has two throttle cables, one pulls to open and one pulls to close.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:57 AM   #7

Hi
Your headlight setup sounds normal and correct to me
My aprilia has twin headlights on low beams only one side lights up, for high beams both light

Aprilia SR50 1 by inuyasha50, on Flickr
There is a mod that would allow both to light up for both low and high beams but have not done so yet
Take care and ride safely
Yours Hank