Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 125cc - 249cc

Old 01-29-2013, 01:18 AM   #1

This scoot (EVO) or that one (PX)?

Just thinking about buying a new scoot... A cheapo...
I hope soon I'll have the $$$.

I'm in between 2 choices right now:
1- The SP 150cc Scooter Type EVO:

or the
2- The SP 150cc Scooter Type PX (powermax):

Both are relatively new bikes. I like the EVO looks better, spes say it has 0.3HP more than the other bike, but the Powermax makes strong claims on the website (like being fast)....

Anyone got additional info? (like if the MPH/MPG rating is correct).?
Experience riding them?

I don't care about high quality products, just scooters that can entertain me for a few thousand miles...

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 01-29-2013, 01:42 AM   #2

The VIP should be a lighter fun scoot
Old 01-29-2013, 09:29 AM   #3

I like the VIP better too get the red one it will mock the .3 HP claim of the other bike

RED=FAST

Do not fear mistakes. You will know failure. Continue to reach out.
- Benjamin Franklin

Join the HARDCORE

1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing

Old 01-29-2013, 10:02 AM   #4

vip cause i like that body style had a 50cc like that style loved it but both look good where are you ordering from

2010 Cpi Oliver 70cc, naruku trans kit, downhill handle bars, tecnigas rsll pipe, s6 4g rollers, Vento R4 with 90cc 1e52qmf technigas next r 100cc pipe Naruku, 21mm race carb, s6 4.5 g rollers
Old 01-29-2013, 11:35 AM   #5

The Evo has 13" wheels and the vip has 12s stock. Speaking from an owners point of view, I swapped my 12s for 13s after 2 12" rear rims bent. I dont do motocross just normal riding so Im assuming bad manufacturing on the 12" rims. I got the 13s from the local dealer for 85$ rear w/ tire and 95 w/ tire for the front.
Minute hp claim differences are usually bs, I had two of the same scooters (TT CY50 T3) and one title said 3.9 hp and the other said 3.5 hp. Honestly it felt exactly the same.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:37 AM   #6

Gotta look for the other one now.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:43 PM   #7

evo

As being new to the world of scooters. I purchased a evo150 in Burgundy. The first machine was junk. However the second machine is night and day different. My experince so far is that everything on the Evo for parts can be readly obtained from a variety of sources including the sponsors. and local vendors. I believe the evo has a advantage because it has numerous back up components. example headlamps, kickstarter.I ride my scooter everyday.......... I also do my own maintence on scooter!
Old 01-29-2013, 02:46 PM   #8

Both scooters have plenty of repair material available online; they're chinese...

From the specs, the SP has 13 in tires, the EVO 12. But from the photo's it looks like the evo has the larger tires.

The EVO looks more luxurious.
I'd also like to know if the under seat storage space is about as large as the other. (I probably get a black or silver EVO, because I have a black/silver rear trunk that will fit the bike).

The VIP's exhaust seems like it will rust quickly, while the evo's aluminum.

The VIP does seem like it's a lighter bike, meaning faster acceleration, less wind resistance, probably more top end too; but those are things I'm less looking for (a 150 is plenty of fast enough for me).
What I care about is MPG, reliability, trunk space, and looks.
I guess they're pretty much the same on both...
Even price is the same!

I'm gathering more info on both bikes today.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:49 PM   #9

I own a 2012 VIP 150, they definitely come stock with 12s and the evo comes with 13s since I bought the wheels for an evo on my vip.
The vip is very maneuverable and I got near 75 mpg when it was stock.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodigit View Post
The EVO looks more luxurious.
This is interesting not sure I have seen that adjective used to describe a Chinese scooter

Do not fear mistakes. You will know failure. Continue to reach out.
- Benjamin Franklin

Join the HARDCORE

1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing
Old 01-29-2013, 03:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootnwinn View Post
This is interesting not sure I have seen that adjective used to describe a Chinese scooter
Hi Rob
My Puma Angel was quite luxurious for a chinese scoot

Scooter Tag 017 by inuyasha50, on Flickr

Puma Angel 031 by inuyasha50, on Flickr
Puma Cycles make an A1 top notch scoot imho

Take care and ride safely dear friend
Yours Hank
Old 01-29-2013, 03:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodigit View Post
Just thinking about buying a new scoot... A cheapo...
I hope soon I'll have the $$$.

I'm in between 2 choices right now:
1- The SP 150cc Scooter Type EVO:

or the
2- The SP 150cc Scooter Type PX (powermax):

Both are relatively new bikes. I like the EVO looks better, spes say it has 0.3HP more than the other bike, but the Powermax makes strong claims on the website (like being fast)....

Anyone got additional info? (like if the MPH/MPG rating is correct).?
Experience riding them?

I don't care about high quality products, just scooters that can entertain me for a few thousand miles...
Hi
I vote for the EVO based on looks alone, both should be quite close in terms of handling and performance so im going with the one i find more appealing to the eye
Either one you choose should serve you well
Take care and ride safely dear friend
Yours Hank
Old 01-31-2013, 03:40 AM   #13

Thanks for the opinions.
I've tried looking around.
It seems the EVO is a TaoTao EVO 150.
On their website they mention that the ATM50-A1 goes 30-35MPH, but I've been able to do 48 on those. And I've had 2,5k miles of worry free riding around, so I tend to be favorable to TaoTao.

Anyone knows where I can find more information about the VIP?
I've been looking around, but other than an occasional photo, there's not much real life experience out there.
I've seen the VIP scooters on south beach, and they all have rusted exhaust pipes, look old, and see a lot of them in the repair shops.

The EVO not only looks better, but seems to be bigger too.
I've heard stories of 150cc scooter frames torque-ing at high speeds, and I don't want to risk it with an unsafe bike. Though I like the fact that it comes in a 50cc size!
The TaoTao ATM50 at 45MPH probably torques a bit, but I believe the EVO150 looks bigger and stronger; so it might not be an issue.

Two things I would want to know:
1- Is it easy to replace the gears on these bikes, to rev them for higher gears (more topend, better MPG, less acceleration)?
2- Are the spark plugs and engine parts easily accessible? (like just screwing off a few bolts on the seat gives me access to the engine?)

I'm going to call TaoTao USA to verify some information on access to the engine tomorrow, and keep you guys updated about it.
On the ATM50, it's releasing 3 bolts, and the seat comes off, and you've got access to the engine.
On their CY50's that's not the case, and nearly all tupperware needs to be peeled off.

I'm leaning 75% for the EVO, 25% for the VIP so far. But perhaps there are still some arguments I've overlooked..?
One thing I'd like to know is how the VIP performs against the EVO, if it's really going to be that faster.
I've learned, that quite often chinese scooter speedometers have a 'secret message' in them.
They do over rate the speed somewhat, but when you see the red line at a certain speed (eg: 40MPH, you know the scooter can do ~40MPH on GPS, even if the speedometer shows 50MPH
Was the case with all 3 of my scooters!

Both EVO and VIP redline is at 50MPH though...

I'll quote superiorpowersports on the VIP:
Quote:
This sporty 150cc scooter comes with larger 13" tires, ...., which means that not only does it ride smoother and handle better but can easily handle two passengers. A powerful rock solid GY6150cc motor is packed into the smaller frame (smallest in our 150cc class) to make this one of the fastest and sportiest scooters we have.
Large 13" tires, small frame, and quoted to be the fastest and sportiest scooter they carry.

What stood out on the EVO review, was:
Quote:
high performance aluminum exhaust pipe, dual stage paint treatment, halogen bulbs, high quality polyurethane seat
Aluminum exhaust does not rust as easily,
Dual stage paint treatment, does that happen on a lot of scoots?
Halogen bulbs, and the seat looks nicer.

If the VIP scooter has exactly the same internals as the EVO, it will be faster due to it's larger tires, and acceleration perhaps the same due to it being lighter in weight.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:47 AM   #14

The TaoTao EVO150 has seemingly better mirrors, but worse rims. Only 3 spoke 12" rims, compared to the VIP's 5 spoke 13" rims.

The EVO comes without rear trunk, which makes me believe it's already at it's lowest price, and they could not squeeze in the trunk anymore.

I'll look around for other scooters in the same price range (~$850 delivered at door), but so far no luck.

EDIT: Bah, they raised prices. Now it comes to $900.
I'm going to look elsewhere for a 150cc scooter.
You can't justify a 599 scooter and end up paying 900, + taxes, this is ridiculous!
Old 02-02-2013, 03:21 AM   #15

Turns out all SP scooters on that site are TaoTao scooters.
So even the VIP is made by TaoTao, and is a Powermax 150 (PX150).

So now it's no longer a matter of brand, just of performance between the two.
I'll try to talk to a TaoTao dealer in Atlanta, as well as their main offices. See if I can get any info out of them...