Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 50cc - 124cc

Old 05-11-2017, 06:48 PM   #1

50cc Chinese Scooter - Bogs down at Full Throttle

Hello, hopefully, I can find my answer here. We have two scooters both 50cc. Mine is a 2015 and hers I believe is 2009. I went and bought new "Performace" parts for mine so I gave her my old carb since we felt hers was bad or old. My old carb ran perfectly. Even after the winter we just had. Everything was great. Put the new one in my scooter got it going and such. Now, we put my "Old" (Old but new.. only 100 miles on it ) carb on her scooter and I am having a lot of trouble. It will start up and idle for the rest of time. But, as soon as I give it FULL throttle it bogs down and dies in about 3-5 seconds. It will eventually bog down and die at like half throttle but it takes a long time. A lot, of people from work, suggested adjusting the air screw which seemed like a good idea because the air screw was covered by a little metal cover which I had to drill out. Now, I just adjusted the air screw back and forth finding a goodish spot ( I think ) and I'm getting the same results as before.. will idle forever but as soon as I give it full throttle it bogs down and dies.. any ideas?

Recap, worked great on mine, switched to hers and now scooter dies at full throttle.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-12-2017, 07:53 AM   #2

What I'm thinking, ... sounds like a fuel problem, possibly sediment in the bottom of the carb was disturbed when changing the carb from one to another and wound up in the jets. Also check your vacuum lines, vacuum is highest at idle and will open the petcock, I suppose at wide open throttle you might be losing enough vacuum to allow the petcock to close and shut off the fuel. ... Final thought, a failing ignition system, when it's just right (or wrong?) can mimic fuel problems. Unusual but I've had it happen. Let us know what you find and how you fixed it.
Old 05-12-2017, 01:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
What I'm thinking, ... sounds like a fuel problem, possibly sediment in the bottom of the carb was disturbed when changing the carb from one to another and wound up in the jets. Also, check your vacuum lines, a vacuum is highest at idle and will open the petcock, I suppose at wide open throttle you might be losing enough vacuum to allow the petcock to close and shut off the fuel. ... Final thought, a failing ignition system, when it's just right (or wrong?) can mimic fuel problems. Unusual but I've had it happen. Let us know what you find and how you fixed it.
I know nothing about the hoses so I'll try that second, even though it may be an easier solution. I'll take the carb apart and spray it out with carb cleaner and see if that helps.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-12-2017, 03:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
What I'm thinking, ... sounds like a fuel problem, possibly sediment in the bottom of the carb was disturbed when changing the carb from one to another and wound up in the jets. Also check your vacuum lines, vacuum is highest at idle and will open the petcock, I suppose at wide open throttle you might be losing enough vacuum to allow the petcock to close and shut off the fuel. ... Final thought, a failing ignition system, when it's just right (or wrong?) can mimic fuel problems. Unusual but I've had it happen. Let us know what you find and how you fixed it.
Holy smokes destroyed everything xD. The newer carb had like pins/screws things so I couldnt take the carb apart so I switched back to the old carb but Im trying to move any good parts that I can to the old carb. everything is broke and I put a deep DEEP cut in my thumb with a dremel.................................... almost done tho. I'm most likely just buying a new carb for like 30$ lol but this was fun atleast