Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Media :: Reviews :: Classifieds :: General > General Scooter Discussion

Old 03-30-2017, 07:59 PM   #1

Fuel for Genuine Buddy 125

In some reviews I have read, when it comes to the proper fuel recommendation. some of them say "regular" for the fuel required. Are the Buddy 125 built different than others, or was that a misstatement?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-31-2017, 08:51 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgunner View Post
In some reviews I have read, when it comes to the proper fuel recommendation. some of them say "regular" for the fuel required. Are the Buddy 125 built different than others, or was that a misstatement?

I googled that question ("what type gas for scooter") and there were many hits. The link below from that list is one from Scoot Dawg 2012 which answers it I think although it does not specifically mention Genuine Buddy.

http://scootdawg.proboards.com/threa...as-scooter-use
Old 04-05-2017, 09:37 PM   #3

Thanks Ozo...guess the confusion is between east & west..

Old 04-09-2017, 07:32 AM   #4

A quick check told me that your 125cc Buddy, has the same 9.2:1 compression ratio as my Chinese GY6 157QMJ engine. So it isn't built that much different.

My suggestion would be to run non-ethanol gas. In our area (Western NY), it is almost all 91 octane. Now, I know it is about $.60 more per gallon than an ethanol/gas blend 87 octane, but well worth it to me. In the 2,608 miles my scoot and I covered last summer, I used 31.3 gallons on gas.....so the higher priced, non-ethanol gas, added $18.78 to my operating cost for the whole year.

This link will help anyone find real gas, no matter where you are in the USA.

http://www.pure-gas.org

Old 04-13-2017, 08:23 AM   #5

Fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
A quick check told me that your 125cc Buddy, has the same 9.2:1 compression ratio as my Chinese GY6 157QMJ engine. So it isn't built that much different.

My suggestion would be to run non-ethanol gas. In our area (Western NY), it is almost all 91 octane. Now, I know it is about $.60 more per gallon than an ethanol/gas blend 87 octane, but well worth it to me. In the 2,608 miles my scoot and I covered last summer, I used 31.3 gallons on gas.....so the higher priced, non-ethanol gas, added $18.78 to my operating cost for the whole year.

This link will help anyone find real gas, no matter where you are in the USA.

http://www.pure-gas.org
Thanks for the link to pure-gas.org. I used it to find non-ethanol gas near me (Titusville, Fl) ; however, it seems to be outdated because the Exon station on the list near me no longer has non-ethanol gas but is now 10% ethanol.
EDIT: Oops. I was wrong. That station does carry non-ethanol gas (unbranded).

Last edited by Ozo; 05-05-2017 at 07:10 AM.
Old 04-14-2017, 06:52 AM   #6

Ozo, if you find one listed, that no longer sells non-ethanol gas, you can remove it. Then on the flip side.....if you happen on a station selling it, that is not listed, you can add it.

Old 04-15-2017, 08:51 AM   #7

I have always run regular gas in my Buddy 125 with no problems. Scooters that require higher octane fuels will normally have a decal near the gas cap saying so.
Engines with higher compression ratios require higher octane fuel.
Old 04-15-2017, 11:23 PM   #8

fuel

Mine tells me 91 octane. I do agree if u can find fuel without Ethanol that would be best. It is murder on Diaphragms in the Carb and on Fuel lines.
Old 04-16-2017, 12:08 PM   #9

There is a Mobil station in W.Melbourne Fla that has a sign in front that actually says that it has no ethanol. Irish
Old 05-25-2017, 12:59 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozo View Post
Thanks for the link to pure-gas.org. I used it to find non-ethanol gas near me (Titusville, Fl) ; however, it seems to be outdated because the Exon station on the list near me no longer has non-ethanol gas but is now 10% ethanol.
EDIT: Oops. I was wrong. That station does carry non-ethanol gas (unbranded).
So is it reasonable to expect a Gy6 150 should get and average of about 70 MPG? If you stay out of the throttle?
Old 05-25-2017, 01:07 AM   #11

In Michigan vendors are required to tag pumps that have ethanol in the fuel. I run Shell premium in my GY6 150 (no ethanol) 2.80 a gallon isn't gonna break the bank when you have .9 gallon tank LOL
Old 05-25-2017, 02:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneHead View Post
Mine tells me 91 octane. I do agree if u can find fuel without Ethanol that would be best. It is murder on Diaphragms in the Carb and on Fuel lines.
I read that 91 octane in China is much lower than 91 octane in US so regular gas is ok. Still I am using non-ethanol. The guy at my local scooter shop said that I should not use ethanol gas now as the two do not mix well and it may plug my filter if I do that.