Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Media :: Reviews :: Classifieds :: General > General Scooter Discussion

Old 02-07-2017, 10:55 AM   #1

How difficult can it be to get a loaf of bread?

Nice weather yesterday, almost 70 F ... and I could use a loaf of bread so why not? I fired up the scooter and headed out. Halfway there maybe a mile or two I remembered I forgot my high dollar teeth, so I turned around and at a stop light the motor died. Out of gas! The scooter did start and run enough to get me to the near by gas station, 2.85 dollars later 1.4 gallons. I head home, thinking about bumping fix the gas gauge up on the list and no bread. Later after dark and out of bread attempt number two... yeah I had my teeth, I got about a mile down the road and realized I'd forgot eye protection. Depending on the cop that could be just a warning or a couple of hundred bucks for a ticket, so back home .... attempt number 3 with the eye protection and teeth and I find nothing has changed in the last 50 years, a car pulls from a stop sign when it shouldn't have, no biggie slowed down a bit and we cleared. The rest of the trip was uneventful. Got the bread (100% whole wheat) and home safe and sound. On the list now... fix that damn rear view mirror that won't stay put, get the numbers off the belt so I can order a spare, fix gas gauge, install the new back brake shoes, put correct nuts on exhaust studs, order clear speedometer plastic, install new back shocks when they arrive, probably another dozen things. That rear view mirror... it's a metal sleeve inside the plastic housing, thus far it's been a problem finding the right stuff to hold the metal to the plastic. Any ideas?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-08-2017, 01:02 AM   #2

What happened to your teeth?
I missed that part.
Old 02-08-2017, 05:26 AM   #3

Have you tried jb weld, or a similar product?

As far as forgetting your teeth...I can't help you, and don't know what to say...except, been there and done that, many times. Usually, I don't go back to fetch em, but rather continue on my merry way.

Old 02-08-2017, 12:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
Nice weather yesterday, almost 70 F ... and I could use a loaf of bread so why not? I fired up the scooter and headed out. Halfway there maybe a mile or two I remembered I forgot my high dollar teeth, so I turned around and at a stop light the motor died. Out of gas! The scooter did start and run enough to get me to the near by gas station, 2.85 dollars later 1.4 gallons. I head home, thinking about bumping fix the gas gauge up on the list and no bread. Later after dark and out of bread attempt number two... yeah I had my teeth, I got about a mile down the road and realized I'd forgot eye protection. Depending on the cop that could be just a warning or a couple of hundred bucks for a ticket, so back home .... attempt number 3 with the eye protection and teeth and I find nothing has changed in the last 50 years, a car pulls from a stop sign when it shouldn't have, no biggie slowed down a bit and we cleared. The rest of the trip was uneventful. Got the bread (100% whole wheat) and home safe and sound. On the list now... fix that damn rear view mirror that won't stay put, get the numbers off the belt so I can order a spare, fix gas gauge, install the new back brake shoes, put correct nuts on exhaust studs, order clear speedometer plastic, install new back shocks when they arrive, probably another dozen things. That rear view mirror... it's a metal sleeve inside the plastic housing, thus far it's been a problem finding the right stuff to hold the metal to the plastic. Any ideas?
Did you remember your nose to perch the eye protection on? It's that thing that sticks out between your teeth & the eye protection! All that I can think of is a new mirror! You don't think that you use it much until it is broken or gone! Irish
Old 02-08-2017, 04:52 PM   #5

+1 on the JB Weld.
Scratch both surfaces with something like 80 grit sandpaper.

It works on teeth, eye protection, and noses as well. Just keep the holes clear (in all cases)

Old 02-08-2017, 06:12 PM   #6

False teeth, I usually take them out when drinking coffee so they won't stain. I had trouble with my teeth all my life and finally bit the bullet and got false teeth.
No scootering today because it turned cold. The mirror, I got some super adhesive and roughed up the steel sleeve and the surrounding plastic then gummed it up good with the adhesive. I'll let it set a couple of days this time.
When accelerating I hear an occasional popping sound from the intake, I suppose a couple of size larger jets ought to fix that? I might clean the carburetor first.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:36 PM   #7

Carb popping is usually a sign of a lean jet or a vacuum leak.
A lot of times you can get it richened up just enough with the mid range needle, and the idle mix screw.

Raise the needle a couple notches, and try richening the idle mix/

Teeth are also on my to-do list. I'v knocked my fronts out more times than you would think possible.Imagine a brick wall that has been self repaired 10-12 times by a shoe salesman... yep!
Old 02-13-2017, 04:41 PM   #8

I'll clean the carburetor and see if that cures the popping, it idles fine so I doubt it's a vacuum leak, also adjust the valves. The mirror, I decided to cut a slot in it and use a washer and screw and nut to bolt the damn thing solid. I got maybe 25 miles riding the scooter on Saturday, it was 80 F nice weather. Lots of cycles out and only one scooter (me). Then a cold front. And,.... the scooter quit starting, I took the starter off and it's oil soaked the brushes are all gummed up and one field on the armature is burned. A new starter is on the way. The shocks finally arrived also, I don't know how well they will work but they are pretty.
And the car has a flat the slow leak finally turned into a bigger leak, there's a nail in it. I suppose I better address the flat on the car. I'm down to only the pickup and there's always the bicycle, which I ought to be riding anyway for the exercise.
Old 02-26-2017, 06:00 AM   #9

Update,
New tire is on the back, new shocks on the back, new starter, a couple of really nice days last week and I put maybe 50 miles on the old scooter. It's getting better, three steps forward two back. Around here people just don't drive scooters, it's got to be a motorcycle and the bigger the better, but I'm finding the scooter is really practical and fun. I try to stick to the residential streets as much as possible, I'm not worried about how fast it will go but it's more than capable of keeping up with all city traffic. I think I finally got that mirror to stay put. All in all it's just the right amount of something to do when I feel like doing it. In the order of things .. walk, bike, scooter, motorcycle, car, pickup... lol, stages of life I guess.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:47 PM   #10

The dealers sell several upgrades to your bike which will fix all the problems. Unfortunately, they're rather expensive, and put the word "Honda", "Genuine", "Kymco", or "Yamaha" on the bike.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:02 PM   #11

It's running strong, I did run out of gas again and maybe a dozen things could use some fixing on it but it is what it is. Starts easy, keeps up with traffic and the brakes are good. The rear view mirror is finally staying put. Fix the gas gauge bumped up on the list of things that ought to be done.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
Suggestion-make a list & check it every time before you leave home!
!-teeth
2-gas
3-etc. Irish