Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 250cc +

Old 12-06-2014, 04:25 PM   #1

Weird staling issue

So earlier today I'm on the highway, because i was running late for work. Sadly there was an accident up ahead which litteraly brought traffic to a standstill and I was late for work.

We would move five to ten meters, stop and the bike would stall. 50 meters, stop and the bike would stall 25 meters, stop and stall. After a bit the bike started to stall out nearly all the time. I tried to keep the RPM over 2K and it still stalled out.

This continued till I got out of the traffic and was able to open it up. guess what, no stall.

I've never experienced that before and was wondering if it was something simple, like overheating, or something I should be more concerned about?

Help me out here folks.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 12-07-2014, 12:46 PM   #2

Could be any of a number of things causing the problem. Pilot screw could need adjusting,
could be an extra air leaking into the intake from a loose carburetor or damage to the carb
insulator or failing intake pipe O-ring.

Might be caused by weak spark, faulty ignition pulse generator, faulty ignition control module,
faulty SE(start enrichment) valve. Could be from overheating, but the coolant temperature
gauge should be indicating that.

Might even be because of a bad batch of gas (water in it, too much ethanol, dirty fuel)
Try running it with some seafoam for a while. Can't hurt to try that along with some fresh
gas.
BTW, I won't get gas from a place that just recently was filled from the fuel hauler. It tends
to stir up any of the stuff that had settled in the underground tanks.

So after that opening it up and getting back up to speed, do you still have low speed power
issues?
"Darkside" Honda Reflex.
"Yeah dude, that IS a car tire there on the back of my scooter."

Sometimes I'm so far outside of the box, the Hubble telescope can't find me
Old 12-08-2014, 04:28 PM   #3

You need to adjust the valves...257cc engine the valves are adjusted to .004 intake and .006 exhaust. The 244cc has a different setting. Take care of this first and then the idle can be set. Trust me...My scoot has over 11,000 miles and only one valve adjustment.

Old 12-09-2014, 06:21 PM   #4

Need to know your model and make, moreover wether it's fuel injected, or carb model.
First thing that comes to mind is that your issue is low speed oriented, so low speed circuit on the carb comes to mind. Use the center stand, run the scoot and have a can of carb cleaner handy. When it dies out use the carb spray to enrichen it ( spray a small amount into the air box). If this dramatically increases it's low speed running, it's fuel related.
I did however have the similar symptoms once. My clutch nut came loose, and the clutch shell was off center, causing the clutch to stay engaged. It stalled at traffic lights, intermittanly. On the center stand it would not stall nearly as bad, due to no load. Ended up just tightening the clutch nut to fix it.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:02 AM   #5

It's a Kymco Xciting 500. I'll say about 09 or 09.

For the past two weeks I've not been on my bike.

I had the flu for a week and training at another site so the bike has sat, covered, at home. I have to move the bike to get some boxes into the storage space attached to my house. I get on the bike to move it...think what the hell....and it turns over. No issues. Now it was warmer than it has been (about 20C). It's started every attempt since.

Given that the bike was having issues in stop and go traffic I'm thinking that I may have had a issue with the fuel line? Or fuel pump? I plan on riding today to see if the bike gives me any issues (At least 120 KM).

My question is this....any other ideas on what the problem may be? I don't want to go pulling apart the bike unless I answer all the possible issues.

Old 02-21-2015, 06:36 PM   #6

In another forum, someone also had the same problem as you on the Xciting, and it turned out to be the battery. Apparently the Xciting's ECM doesn't like low battery voltages. Just something to check.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:57 PM   #7

I'm going to bump this post. Kind of bothers me when issues are just dropped with no follow through or follow up. Folks coming across an issue unresolved are left to speculate on the outcome and can imagine the most ridiculous or gruesome things.

It's been about 8 months. What happened? Was the cause determined? then fixed?
"Darkside" Honda Reflex.
"Yeah dude, that IS a car tire there on the back of my scooter."

Sometimes I'm so far outside of the box, the Hubble telescope can't find me
Old 09-04-2015, 04:16 AM   #8

Welcome to the world of Chinese scooter forums. People do this all the time.They come with a problem, ask all kinds of information, get advice and disappear.

Classic case. Guy bought Rich Carmen's SYM, has a problem. Goes to Scooterdoc after finding out Rich was from there, finds solution and posts there with it but never returns here. It was a bad starter motor by the way.
2009 MC-114 50cc Cub Clone- 4,317 miles
twowheeler.yolasite.com/

That's 30,049 China Scootin miles and Counting.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:04 AM   #9

I think it bugs a lot of us when this sort of thing happens......especially when one has enough time to run his own scooter blog, but not enough, to post 1 or 2 lines stating that the problem was solved, and what caused it. Maybe he's so busy, or into so many sites, that he forgets what he posted, and where.

He is riding a scooter with a MSRP of $6300.00, and you would expect it to run ok, even when stuck in traffic. Never mentioned the temp gauge reading, or if the fan was on or off. Make and model of his ride had to be asked for. You would think he could have done a little better job communicating his problem.....and when fixed....found the time to enlighten the rest of us, as to the cause.

Old 09-27-2015, 07:39 PM   #10

I just had the exact same thing happen to me on a Piaggio BV 250.
The positive battery terminal screw was loose. That's it, the entire issue.
So now I have found out that EFI vehicles will not run without 9.6 volts coming from the battery.
Think about it, when you turn on the ignition it pressurizes the injector by running the fuel pump. That has to be running off the battery, as the stator is not in use when the bike is not running.
Disconnect the battery or the ground, the bike stalls. The stuff settles back down, the bike runs. And so on.