Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 50cc - 124cc

Old 08-01-2014, 09:48 AM   #1

Thumbs Up Another EGR block off post

First off, I would like to say hello and introduce myself. My name is Rob and I've been visiting these forums for awhile and they have served me well in the past. I've had a couple other fun scooters before and am now riding a 2008 Fly Scooters- iL bello. I know its a relatively cheap bike but it suits me fine.

A little about the bike before I get into the topic. I purchased it earlier this summer with just under 1000 miles from a submarine engineer who did all the work to it. He was very detailed, precise and documented everything that he did very well which was sort of a selling point to me personally. It wasn't some kid trying out a wrench for the first time. But it is a GY6 139qmb with a 100cc(83??) BBK, performance head, larger carb jetted with an 86(i believe), cdi unit, 7g rollers, some other parts in the CVT (i have a huge box of original parts just working through everything) & a performance exhaust. Previous owner was meticulous with break-in on the new engine parts and the scooter runs great. I've slowly been learning about the bike and working to understanding everything with it.

To the topic:
Sorry, I know this is kind of a dead horse to some. I have searched through the threads and still have a couple questions. Recently I've noticed a sort of metal ringing coming from the engine. It would increase with throttle and finally I found the issue while walking past the scooter this morning. The EGR tube that attaches on top of the head loose/completely off and hanging from the exhaust tube. The end that attaches to the port that goes into the exhaust is fine, but the flange on the other end has broken off of the tube. I need to remedy the situation soon, because I daily drive the scooter and as easily as possible, because I have about 6 other projects and not much spare time.
My options as I see them are:

1) Purchase a block off plate, bolt-on said block off plate, ride into sunset.
-Is this ok, or will having the rest of the system still there mess it up?
-Most places selling these block off plates don't sell a gasket. Is one required?

2) Purchase a new tube thingy, bolt-on said thingy, ride into sunset.
-This will definitely be more time consuming due to accessing and possibly removing the broken flange but if has to happen, so be it.

If anyone has any suggestions on what I should do, or where to get these parts I really would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!
-Rob

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-01-2014, 12:46 PM   #2

I would install a block off plate and remove the rest of the EGR system. A gasket can be easily made from gasket material obtained from auto parts stores. For that matter a block off plate can be as well.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:45 AM   #3

If I don't have time to disassemble the whole bike to remove the system right now, will it be fine running for a while with the plate just blocked off?

Old 08-02-2014, 06:30 PM   #4

It should run for now. You could put on the block off plate and leave the rest of the egr system in place but it will then just be extra inert weight. How ever you will have to disconnect the vacuum line to the egr system and cap it off to avoid any possible vacuum problems once you insall the block off plate.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:36 AM   #5

I pull the Pulse-air system off every bike I can, if they fail, and become stuck open, they create a lean in exhaust condition, where it is very easy to burn out a muffler.

I made my own block-off plate with a piece of steel plate I had laying around. It took about five minutes. It's also a good plan to get a sheet of fireproof exhaust gasket material ($1.50) and make a nice gasket. The whole thing should take about half and hour and cost about 5 bucks.

The just plug the relevant vacuum line ports, and remove the P.A.S entirely, it is not a benefit.

4T 150cc 157 qmj

24mm carb w 115 main jet and paper cone air filter

Manual petcock w Tygon fuel lines

Scrappy Dog Scooters Retro-slash stainless straight-thru exhaust

RED spring clutch

Adjustable CDI (brand unknown, it's blue and red and works great!)

KOSO high performance variator w 12g sliders

Gates Powerlink 835-20-30 belt

GPS verified 65mph on flats.

Tags
139qmb, egr, gy6, pair, spaghetti