Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Media :: Reviews :: Classifieds :: General > General Scooter Discussion

Old 08-18-2020, 12:42 PM   #1

In need of some guidance on purchasing my first scooter

Hey everyone,

I am new to the forum and also pretty new to scooters. I never considered buying a scooter, as my plan in the near future was to buy a bike; likely a Triumph Bonneville. However, I live in NYC and had the opportunity to use the scooter rideshare, Revel and I fell in love (as did my wife who often rode on the back). These things are just so convenient and fun, and they seem to make much more sense over a bike! Here’s the thing, despite being a professional researcher, I am really struggling to find a few suitable scooters that fit my price range, power and design preferences, and I think that has a lot to do with scooter models constantly being phased out (even despite a pretty serious spreadsheet…). It’s for this reason that I am reaching out, hoping that you can provide some assistance with your collective knowledge! Below provides a pretty good sketch of what I’m looking for.

Please note that I am perfectly fine with buying a used scooter. That said, I’d hate to sacrifice modern safety features like ABS and other similar features with an older scooter.

Price range: Ideally, under $2500

Motor: 200-400cc range. I know this is a large range, but it provides flexibility for price. I expect to be riding primarily on city streets and secondary highways, and I expect to often ride 2 up with my wife. I also want the ability to hit highways (and perhaps freeways once I gain more experience).

Wheel size: 16” wheels (or larger, if possible). I know that millions of riders are fine with smaller wheels, but I think there’s a good argument for larger wheels in terms of stability at higher speeds. I also live in NYC and the streets and highways in NY/NJ are often pretty brutal. The Revel scooters have 12” wheels and man, when you hit a sudden pothole it really calls into question whether you’re going to go flying.

Design: I’m drawn to the maxi-styling of scooters like Burgman 400 over the traditional Vespa style. More than aesthetics, it just seems more stable and comfortable (I’m 6’0, 200 lbs.). While I’m cool with the Vespa style around the city and on secondary roads, I have a hard time seeing myself feeling as stable, visible and ultimately safe with that style on a highway/freeway. The typical maxi style also just looks badass and has a nice hybrid feel

Thanks!!!
Mike

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-19-2020, 10:28 AM   #2

I have a Piaggio Liberty 150S. Great scooter in every way but I'm quitting riding soon and putting the Piaggio up for sale. Here are some things to consider.

Buy something you get to the dealer if needed for service. I currently haul the Piaggio 100 miles one way. It fits in my Subaru Baja but its still a hassle.

A Honda SH150 is a great scooter if you can find one.

Any KYMCO People series are nice scooters. I had the ugly 250cc first gen one. Dealers are always coming and going. Also consider a SYM HD200. Same situation with a dealer though. The SYM CityCom 300 is nice but I could NEVER get parts for mine. Paid $1000 and just drove it till it dropped and trashed it.

Honda is early releasing the ADV 150. If I wasn't hanging up my helmet I'd seriously consider one.

Any others you find refer to Motor Scooter Guide.net and Just Gotta Scoot.com

Big wheel scooters are not super popular in the USA, hence the reason I've owned a Kymco People 250 (1st gen), a SYM CityCom 300 (used for cheap) and currently a Piaggio Liberty 150. And various others "small" wheels. Owned...

Honda Elite 80. It got me into scooters.
LOVE the Honda Helix. Owned 3 of them.
Zuma 50s. Its a hobby. I currently have a 1998 going up for sale.
Zuma 125. Slow but reliable.
Hyosung Sense 2-stroke. Wife's. Loved that scooter.
2 Buddy 125's. Best value in scooters.
A PINK Buddy 50. That thing rocked for a stock 50.
Suzuki Burgman 200. Nice but a nightmare to work on.
Honda Silverwing. Wife has one. Converted to a MotoTrike. Still own.
Yamaha Majesty. Kinda miss it. Good scooter. Bought cheap.
Honda Metro. Bought cheap. Fun to ride but slow.

Let us know what you find and end up buying. Happy shopping!

Last edited by sc00ter; 08-20-2020 at 12:26 AM.
Old 08-23-2020, 09:08 PM   #3

Thanks so much for all of this information and sorry for late reply - very busy work week...

I'm definitely interested in a few of the SYM, especially the 2-300 models. Your point about servicing is really helpful, though. I am going to look into what dealers I have around here in the NYC area. I have a Toyota RAV4 that could probably handle a scooter, but I really don't want to have to deal with that...

Old 08-26-2020, 12:44 PM   #4

The Lance 200i scooters start at around $2900. Cycle Stash in Island Park carries them.
2009 MC-114 50cc Cub Clone- 4,317 miles
twowheeler.yolasite.com/

That's 30,049 China Scootin miles and Counting.
Old 09-20-2020, 12:17 PM   #5

I love Sym myself. Since you're in NYC, you might be in luck parts-wise.

Nearby on long island is https://www.unikmoto.com/ . They're a really big, really well equipped shop with a parts department. Despite their size they service only Lance, Kymco, and SYM. They also don't do mail order AFAIK, you gotta pick up the part in person.

This all keeps them well-stocked to service the NYC area.

Old 10-01-2020, 08:54 PM   #6

You should be able to get a new TaoTao or Bintelli 150cc and plenty of accessories in that price range.
-A used Japanese 125cc scoot
-A used Taiwanese 200cc or 250/300cc
Happy Shopping!
Old 05-22-2021, 01:58 PM   #7

One thing I should have thought about more before I purchased my scooter is hills. I have a 50cc scooter and I love it except when climbing hills.

I wouldn't have bought anything smaller than an 80cc now.

I thinks it's dangerous climbing hills at 10 to 15 mph with traffic behind you.

Will be getting a 80cc upgrade and I think that will suit me.

Love getting about 100 mpg but need to sacrifice my mpg with some power