Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 50cc - 124cc

Old 03-23-2024, 10:00 PM   #1

Oil cooler mod

Hello, looks like I waited too long and missed out on this oil filter adapter. (If anyone can find one or wants to sell me theirs LMK)
Oil Filter:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/GY6-139-QMB....m43663.l10137

I was thinking of modding a cooler adaptor, and instead of a radiator put an inline oil filter.
While searching, I thought of an (upgrade) idea for the cooler mod.

It would be to install an oil cooler and source 2 small matching fans for the radiator and have them wired in loop with the carburetor's auto choke mechanism.

That way the fans are delayed for faster warm-up.

Or finding a temperature activated relay (like the one in auto choke) to cut the fans on/off past a curtain temp.
Relay Idea:
https://www.amazon.com/bayite-Fahrenheit-Digital-Temperature-Controller/dp/B011VGAPOC?asc_campaign=7598ed1c4d65d9272251cb370f f806d4&asc_source=01GM66VQ8MWG1FM909PWS84WK4&psc=1 &ref_=fplfs&smid=A2EFSDTWMPHWEA&source=ps-sl-shoppingads-lpcontext&tag=namespacebran246-20

Either electric fans or somehow mounting the radiator in path of the engine fan

Has anyone run into an water cooled cylinder head for these. Would be nice to attack cooling from all angles.

My ultimate goal is to achieve super high efficiency cooling for my high rpm experiments. I'm experimenting with connecting rod bearing abuse tolerance.

In the past years I've only had 1 engine tolerate the high compression from a 50mm bbk and stock head.

All other engines (including the one I built with an upgraded crank/bearing that was supposed to withstand high rpm) failed prematurely.
I've read around about the crank needing to be balanced because the bigger piston throws its rotation off... IDK

In all the failed engines the piston/rings/cylinder were fine, just the connecting rod bearings failed.

I know 99.9% of people say just get a 150cc bike or higher and that the 139qmb simply can't withstand high rpm, but I beg to differ.
I feel that if a stronger rod/bearing was sourced and the engine temperatures were drastically cut down, tuning for high rpm runs is very possible. I've run into valve float more often than a bad piston ring. It takes me 1 hour to slap a kit on from teardown to test ride, so even its top end was ruined it wouldn't matter.

This is a hobby. I'm well aware of the consequences of irresponsibly upgrading these things.

Any incite is greatly appreciated!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Tags
139qmb, cooler, fan, filter, oil