Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 50cc - 124cc

Old 03-31-2014, 07:36 PM   #1

Taotao 4-strokd Chinese Scooter Issues!

Hi Everyone!

I got a 2010 Taotao that was only driven twice by a little old woman...

It needed a battery right away, as it had sat all winter, but I replaced that, and once I got it correctly connected, it started pretty much right up, and I rode it around for a day or two all day.

Something's wrong though. The first day, it seemed to have a little harder time going up a grade out of the garage, and the second day, It would not go. I had to push my Taotao up the grade on foot!

It has also been making more noise, not more as in louder, but more like it was struggling to move me. When I release the throttle, it seems to lose power too quickly. It has slowed more going up hills, and has started to die when I don't maintain any throttle pressure at a stop.

Because it's a Chinese scooter, I know there are mods I need to make right away to keep it running, and I don't want to burn anything up trying to get it to work.

Someone suggested I check the pistons, and I have no idea what that means. Others have suggested a ring job, and someone said the word 'compression', so I am totally lost.

Does anyone know what would cause my scooter to do that? It gets just a little worse every day, but I've really only driven it 4-5 days, two of which were all afternoon. I don't have money to fix everything that might be broken at a shop, and am working only with hand tools, and no information.

I appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

Ride like your life depends on it!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-01-2014, 01:20 AM   #2

The most likely problem is your valves have gone out of adjustment. It's a pretty simple procedure to adjust them. You just need a couple different size wrenches and a feeler gauge set. Set them somewhere between .003 and .005 I think. You should be able to find a 139QMB service manual online somewhere, that's the type of engine you have.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:14 AM   #3

Thank you Firehawk, I'll look into that! I'm having other issues now that'll slow it down, but I'll bet that's what I need to do.

Ride like your life depends on it!

Login or Register to Remove Ads