Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Media :: Reviews :: Classifieds :: General > General Scooter Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-18-2014, 09:31 PM   #1

Commonly mismatched parts...

One thing I have not seen anyone post about here are commonly mismatched parts.. The number one most common one I see on folks Scoots are replacement pistons that are not correct for the cylinder. I have though seen posts and incidents in person where someone orders a new piston and performance degrades from even worse than the worn original piston and rings. It seems we fail to remember that the piston ports must match the cylinder they are going in. Below are a few pics of different style pistons. Take note of how large and how small the piston ports are..how high up or low down they are from the piston skirt. If they don't match the cylinders porting..performance degradation will occur. The last pic shown here is of a new Athena Aluminum 2 ring cylinder kit I have. Note not only how small the cylinder port is in comparison to most kits..but look at the piston port. It is only a notch at the bottom of the piston and not 2 elongated holes in the piston like many kits. I myself have simply bought new piston kits..tossed them in..then wondered why it was hard to tune and performance stunk.. Now I match the old piston to the replacement one before ordering and have found the performance was back to its original power output. Just some food for thought..something to ponder..and a chance for you 2T gurus here that build some of these monster machines we see on this site..to possibly explain and enlighten us regarding this vast array of piston designs we see..and how each affects us. So please input as much as possible. I think this has been an overlooked and never discussed issue with our Scoots.. Thanks, Glenn

Lastly..this is the bizarre looking Athena kit..again note the tiny cylinder port..and notched piston port..blew my mind and makes me wonder if this thing will even run.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Piston 2.JPG (71.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Piston 1.JPG (59.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Piston 3.JPG (43.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Piston 4.JPG (32.3 KB, 9 views)

Login or Register to Remove Ads