Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > General > New Member Introductions

Old 03-09-2014, 03:52 AM   #16

Very cool, welcome! "Free" is the best kind of anything!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-09-2014, 02:47 PM   #17

Ok did a voltage test. Max output I saw was 13.5v running. Battery was dead this morning. I saw it was low on water so I put some distilled water in it and jumped it off. Let it idle for a little while. I can stop it and start it one time no problem. But cranking more than 5 seconds its dead.
86 Dodge Omni GLHS #314
66 Chevrolet Biscayne 283 powerglide all original
Old 03-09-2014, 05:43 PM   #18

HAHA, yeah you can't have a roof, windshield wiper, and stereo and have to kick it!

Old 03-09-2014, 05:52 PM   #19

Could be the battery. If it was de charged for awhile sitting the plates may be dead. You may want to invest in a little trickle charger if your gonna scoot. I charge my to full charge about once a week as I do on the Sport bikes. It will also tell you if that battery is weak. Or autozone could tell you. If your radio has a clock on it it's pulling . something of an amp all the time. With a weak little battery that could be the issue. You could also have what's caused static discharge. If your battery is sitting in a metal tray it is possible, never seen it with plastic tray but theoretically it could be grounding through bolts I guess that holds the plastic tray to the frame. If the electrolytes have ever spilled over the top you can actually get voltage to ground on the case of the battery. It will drain it just sitting. A good baking soda solution to clean the battery and tray real good would remedy it. I'm by no means a pro, just tossing ideas out.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:20 PM   #20

Well I let it sit most of today. Went out there and it fired right up. I don't think it has a drain on the battery anywhere. It's sitting in a plastic trey. I think it could have just been low on water in the battery. Hopefully it didn't ruin a cell. I had a parts store test it and it said good needs charge. I plan on getting a trickle charger. I was gonna ask which should I get? 1amp?
86 Dodge Omni GLHS #314
66 Chevrolet Biscayne 283 powerglide all original

Old 03-09-2014, 06:41 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by roachjuice View Post
Well I let it sit most of today. Went out there and it fired right up. I don't think it has a drain on the battery anywhere. It's sitting in a plastic trey. I think it could have just been low on water in the battery. Hopefully it didn't ruin a cell. I had a parts store test it and it said good needs charge. I plan on getting a trickle charger. I was gonna ask which should I get? 1amp?
Hi
I use one of these to charge and maintain my motorbikes batteries

http://batterytender.com/products/mo...-at-0-75a.html
Take care and ride safely
Yours Hank
Old 03-10-2014, 12:57 AM   #22

I use a black and decker vec1089abd. It's self sufficient, goes down to 2 amp. I use it on RV too. God little charger. It was a gift about 6 or 8 years ago and still going strong.