Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Media :: Reviews :: Classifieds :: General > General Scooter Discussion

Old 10-18-2021, 01:06 PM   #1

suggestion how to keep my scooter in good shape

Hello,
over the past year, I haven't ridden my scooter very much I've only accumulated 600 miles on the scooter since we bought it (new in 2020)

it is a jiangsu Gator50 with a GY6 motor that runs very well

what I do is I run it at least twice a week at least four miles

The first half a mile or so I go very easy very slow, so it warms up, and then I take it out on the main road and I run it 35 -40 miles an hour, and then I run it back home Is this enough to keep the scooter in good shape??

I change the motor oil every three months regardless of how many miles I drive. Any maintenance required to keep up on such as valve adjustments or anything else that the scooter needs I will surely do.

I don't want to have problems because it sits too long BUT it does stay in the garage, and I'm in Florida it is never driven in the rain and doesn't get wet.

Am I doing the right thing by at least running it twice a week at least five miles?

4 of those are ridden at 35-40 miles an hour. Some days I try to get 5 to 10 miles but most of the time though I follow my same route it's 2 miles out and 2 miles back and a mile or so in the neighborhood make sure the scooters warmed up before I go full speed at 40 miles an hour.
The main road isn't very busy, and it's 40 miles an hour speed limit lets me get moving up to 40 mph.

Opportunities come up once in a while where I drive the scooter ten or Twenty miles it's rare, but I'm hoping to get more of those days.

Last month I had it completely serviced all the fluids were changed including the transmission and motor oil. I had a new spark plug put in I had the carburetor replaced and any adjustments necessary were done.

I check the tire pressure often, wash and wax it often, and it looks like new.

I actually just took it out today for a 10-mile ride today and got to thinking about how not running it much may affect it and what to do to be sure I keep it in top shape.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Last edited by kram6319; 10-20-2021 at 04:08 PM.
Old 10-20-2021, 09:48 AM   #2

You seem to be doing a pretty good job so far. Regular oil changes and valve checks per service manual are the main thing. Some people suggest flushing out the original brake fluid with something better quality. That's a bit much in my opinion. I wash my scooter once a month. Give it a detailed bath and go over it with some spray-on wax. Its gotta look good as well. Especially the wheels, I hate dirty wheels! Cleaning helps you notice things and keep a look out for leaks and/or suspicious stains.

My scooter is my main transportation. Longest it sits is a week.
Tire pressure checked every Monday.
Oil every 3000 miles. Oil filter every odd number change.
Valve check per service manual.
Above bath schedule.
Reduction box oil when valves are done.
Might do brake fluid. At just under 20,000 miles right now.
Front wheel bearings checked whenever wheel is off of scooter.
I run a bit off Techtron Fuel system cleaner when I do the oil filter change.
Transmission overhaul every 6000 miles. Belt, rollers, v-slides, Check springs, grease torque driver.
Lube center stand.
Lube key holes with dry lube.
I'm sure I forgot to mention something......
Old 10-24-2021, 04:16 PM   #3

You're doing better than about 95% of scooter owners. The most important thing in this age of ethanol in gasoline is to keep fuel flowing through the carburetor regularly. The 50cc QMB GY6 is probably one of the most durable engines out of China. Regular use and oil changes keep it on the road.
2009 MC-114 50cc Cub Clone- 4,317 miles
twowheeler.yolasite.com/

That's 30,049 China Scootin miles and Counting.

Login or Register to Remove Ads