Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 250cc +

Old 11-11-2018, 04:13 PM   #1

Aeolus 300 story time, running rough.

I recently purchased my first scooter, (my 9th motorcycle) and have loved the damn thing to pieces. I bought it from a dealer that said it would just die randomly. I bought it, noticed the gas wasn't really gas anymore, sucked the old crap out and put some new Chevron 91 in her and had no issues. I rode the bike to and from work a few times, installed a replacement coil just in case the gas wasn't the only problem, and in my arrogance from being an automotive tech I didn't pay attention to which wire went where on the coil. Of course, this killed the new coil and the CDI on my way home from work and the bike died on the side of the road. I installed a new CDI and coil this weekend, got the wires right, and started her up, there's now new issues.

The bike was running super rough when I first started it up, popping out of the intake, loud backfires out the exhaust. I pulled the plug to find it had the wrong plug in it, a random Champion that wasn't actually long enough to sit in the chamber right. I replaced it with the factory NGK R Dr8ea gapped to 0.8mm. The bike runs better now, still not quite good enough. I have it warmed up now and it's idling a lot better, still not perfect.

I almost forgot as well, the stock intake rubber hardened up and no longer sits on the carb, so I ordered what I could and ended up with a filter on a 90 degree elbow. I know it will need a new primary jet if I keep this filter, however I'd like to get a more factory intake setup than this, preferably one with a nipple to route the PCV too. (pcv is currently routed to a filter I've tucked up in the body.)

The bike sounds like it's missing at random, I'll try and upload a video and post the link here. It will get better, then worse, and I have yet to actually see if it will ride now that I've replaced the spark plug, it was missing BAD before hand and would die out. Now it's still cutting out when it misses more than a few firing cycles, but it's much less consistent. If I can get it up to temp, where the coolant fan kicks on, it smooths out for about 5 minutes then returns to randomly missing. If I rev it up a bit while on the center stand, when it comes down and returns to idle it spits out of the carb pretty hard. The CDI I purchased was from goofit, the coil is an older style that goofit sold.

Like I said earlier, before all of this the bike ran like an absolute champ. It never missed, it always started right up and chugged down the road. It died once on the side of the road and now refuses to run right. I'll try and ride it up and down my street after I post this, if I don't add anything know that it missed, popped, spit, and died.

Sent from my LGL158VL using Tapatalk

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-11-2018, 10:17 PM   #2

Okay, second ride lasted 45 minutes of sub 20mph, it went well. It's still missing here and there, it cut out once and spit once, and the battery is totally shot, I had to keep my jump box on it the whole time. When it did miss it was in close succession and it jarred the hell out of my neck, but it only really happened once during my ride around the area. This week I'll keep an eye on it, pick up a new battery on pay day this week, toss my jump box into the seat storage and ride it into town. Hopefully I can also get a new air cleaner with a little more restriction so I can avoid rejetting for now. I still need to figure out the missing and spitting, this isn't an all fixed reply.

Old 11-12-2018, 11:28 PM   #3

Noticed a symptom, the lights flicker when it misses and they flicker for longer than a quarter of a second when it dies. I'm starting to think the issue is going back to coil or CDI shorting out intermittently.

Login or Register to Remove Ads