Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 250cc +

Old 07-01-2015, 08:40 PM   #1

Doh! New (Used) Sym Citycom 300i battery issues

So I just got this scooter the other day. It had been sitting for at least 4 months. The first day I looked at it, it wouldn't start, so we jumped it. I took it for a spin and bought it the next day. However, I couldn't get it to start again when I started to put it on the trailer, so I figured the battery was having issues.

Last night I put the battery on a charger for a bit and then put it and the scooter started right up. I left the battery in the scooter because I felt like i had ridden long enough for it to have charged.

Woke up this morning and it wouldn't start again. So I took it to Auto parts store and they tested it and said that it was good but it just needed a charge. Any advice?

Thank you! - Newbie.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-01-2015, 09:02 PM   #2

oh and its on a charger now. I am going to try to dig out my multimeter and test the charging system.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:38 PM   #3

Charged for a bit and then Put the multimeter on and got 12.5 with nothing connected. Then connected it to the scooter and tried to start, just clicking. Then put the multimeter on while the key was turned and lights were on and it was 11.63 and I don't think that is enough to start. It is back on the charger. This charger will do a 2 amp, 10 amp or 50 amp trickle charge. I guess I can't use the 10Amp option.....or I am scared to. Does anyone know if I can just try to jump it with the charger? it says to turn it to 50 to jump but it doesnt say anything about motorcycles.

Old 07-01-2015, 10:52 PM   #4

Bottom line is all I am getting is clicking at this point even when trying to jump it (read that I could do it). I put it back on the charger and will let it go all night.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:47 AM   #5

Others will jump in, I'm sure. If you have a car and cables handy, you can jump it from the car battery, but WITHOUT the car running. Also, I don't think I would try using the charger at 50amps to jump the scooter. I would try at 10amps, after letting it charge the battery up a while. A lot of the time, small batteries like these will test good, but simply fail under pressure. Once you have the scooter charged and running, you will be able to test the charging system to see if it is in working order. Hope that helps...

Old 07-02-2015, 11:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaraptor View Post
Others will jump in, I'm sure. If you have a car and cables handy, you can jump it from the car battery, but WITHOUT the car running. Also, I don't think I would try using the charger at 50amps to jump the scooter. I would try at 10amps, after letting it charge the battery up a while. A lot of the time, small batteries like these will test good, but simply fail under pressure. Once you have the scooter charged and running, you will be able to test the charging system to see if it is in working order. Hope that helps...
Thank you so much! I have had it tested at 2 different places and both places tell me its good. Trying to avoid spending $80 for no reason. I am going to have to really start to learn about these things....but this could be fun.
Old 07-02-2015, 02:02 PM   #7

Well...

I have now tested this battery good 3 times at 3 different places. It definitely seems like it is something else. Im wondering if I blew a fuse. I don't even know how to remove the seat I guess the next thing I will try is jumping from my car (not started). All I hear is the fuel injecting and then clicking.
Old 07-02-2015, 07:39 PM   #8

status update...

ok...so i checked the fuses in the front panel and none were blown (my fuse panel is lose in there). I tried to jump it with my car and it doesn't even try to start. I hit the starter and then I get one click. If i turn the throttle before hitting the button, i hear the fuel pump but still I get one click when I hit the starter. What other fuse can I check? or any other ideas?
Old 07-02-2015, 09:06 PM   #9

I am not getting a spark.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:49 PM   #10

If you're only getting a click, the starter solenoid is activating, but either the engine is seized, the starter is dead, the battery is too low to turn the engine over, or you have a wiring/fuse issue with the starter circuit.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfire View Post
If you're only getting a click, the starter solenoid is activating, but either the engine is seized, the starter is dead, the battery is too low to turn the engine over, or you have a wiring/fuse issue with the starter circuit.
Thank you! do you know if there is another fuse I should be concerned about besides those in the front panel? I am just about to go buy a battery to rule it out.
Old 07-03-2015, 08:00 AM   #12

You might check the charging system first. It could be the original battery that came with the bike. I don't recall Rich ever mentioning a battery change. I have a battery in my garage that I bought cheap. If I left it in the bike for a few hours off the charger it wouldn't start the scooter even though it read 12.5 volts. I bought one from NAPA and put it in. It will hold its charge for weeks and reads 12.75 volts. To me that was indication that the cheap battery had volts but low amps.
When you start the scooter your volt/ohmmeter should read over 13.5 volts with it running across the terminals. If you're having a voltage drop at the battery simply because you tried to start it I would think the battery is bad.
2009 MC-114 50cc Cub Clone- 4,317 miles
twowheeler.yolasite.com/

That's 30,049 China Scootin miles and Counting.
Old 07-03-2015, 08:13 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kz1000st View Post
You might check the charging system first. It could be the original battery that came with the bike. I don't recall Rich ever mentioning a battery change. I have a battery in my garage that I bought cheap. If I left it in the bike for a few hours off the charger it wouldn't start the scooter even though it read 12.5 volts. I bought one from NAPA and put it in. It will hold its charge for weeks and reads 12.75 volts. To me that was indication that the cheap battery had volts but low amps.
When you start the scooter your volt/ohmmeter should read over 13.5 volts with it running across the terminals. If you're having a voltage drop at the battery simply because you tried to start it I would think the battery is bad.
The only problem is, I can't start it at all. Even with a jump.
Old 07-03-2015, 11:09 AM   #14

Have you checked the kill switch? That might explain the no spark. Next jump the solenoid if it has one and see if the starter motor spins. I just find it hard to believe that scooter suddenly fell flat. Rich was using it every day right up until the end.
2009 MC-114 50cc Cub Clone- 4,317 miles
twowheeler.yolasite.com/

That's 30,049 China Scootin miles and Counting.
Old 07-03-2015, 11:15 AM   #15

Here is a video showing my issue: