Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 125cc - 249cc

Old 05-22-2018, 06:33 AM   #1

Cold Start Issue

Good Day Fellow Riders

Ok, so I have a Vuka XR125 with stock clone GY6 equipment. She stood for a year or so until I needed to use her as my main means of transport. When I leave for work in the afternoon she starts within a split second of pushing the starter button and idles nice and high till the Auto enricher engages and then idles fine.

The issue I'm having is getting her started in the morning. I can crank her till i'm blue in the face and the battery eventually dies, she will only cold start if I squirt a bit of petrol on the air filter and then keep her revved until she warms up. She stands outside under the carport but i'm now at the stage of wanting to wrap the old girl up in a blanket to keep her warm LOL.

Here's what I have done from reading many many posts and youtube videos to try and alleviate the cold start issue.

1. Drained and put fresh 10w40 oil, lower viscosity for the cold weather
2. Stripped, cleaned and reassembled Carb & Jets
3. New Spark plug
4. New Fuel, Vacuum lines and filter, checked intake for cracks and leaks, none.
5. Adjusted tappets to 0.005 on both intake and exhaust valves
6. Checked Auto enricher is working, it is retracted cold and extended once warm so it is functioning fine.

So, does anyone have a suggestion on what I might be missing? Once again, the issue seems to be fuel related only when bike is cold overnight.

Thanking you guys in advance for the advice

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-22-2018, 01:55 PM   #2

Your enrichener may look like it's working properly, but it sounds like it's not getting enough fuel when cold. If it starts with a spray and then won't idle when cold, and it starts and runs fine after it's been run that day, it sounds like it's not working 100%. I would replace that first and see what happens.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:55 AM   #3

I agree with the enricher not working 100% correct. Could also be a fuel petcock issue. I would replace the enricher first since its not a lot of money and if the problem persist then I would replace the petcock. Oh, and good for you for checking the valves. That was another thing I was going to suggest.

Old 05-27-2018, 01:07 PM   #4

I have found with my ride that if I turn the throttle one time after I turn on the petcock that it puts fuel in the carb & starts right up because fuel is in the carb. Irish
Old 05-28-2018, 09:11 PM   #5

For the overall problem I'd guess they the other posters are right.
That's a pretty common thing to flake on all the smaller carb'd scoots.
I have the opposite problem to a lesser extent with mine. It doesn't like to engage on warm days strangely.
To get around this I just make sure I'm solidly on the brake and "lightly" hold the throttle open while cranking. keep it a little cracked for a few seconds while vacuum establishes and the motor realizes it's alive, and good to go.

Old 05-29-2018, 12:28 PM   #6

Hard cold starts, take your pick, lean mixture due to the cold circuit not working properly, lean jet/partially clogged, weak spark plug, weak anything ignition, valves need adjusting, the petcock, vacuum leak and probably a lot more I've not thought of. Let us know what you find.