Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 125cc - 249cc

Old 06-07-2018, 06:35 AM   #1

Gy6 150cc 4stroke won’t start

Hi there, I’ve tried almost everything that I could think of. Changed the CDI, SPARK PLUG and Wire, and the stator 12 pole yet still have no spark. It gives same start as if I had the old set up. I keep going back and froth with the parts but still I don’t get spark. I have measured voltage out of cdi but than once I press the start button, it disappears. It sounds as the starter rotates but the stator won’t rotate. I need help or ideas as what to check or where to go.. thank you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-08-2018, 07:45 PM   #2

Sounds like your battery has a short in it. As soon as a load hits it, it's gone.
Old 06-09-2018, 07:59 AM   #3

The best GY6 ignition trouble shooting guide I know of .... https://www.buggydepot.com/tech-cent...uide-no-spark/
You can jump the scooter from a car battery but be careful you don't want to burn your starter up. Limit the cranking time to a few seconds and allow the starter cool down between attempted starts.

Old 06-10-2018, 03:36 PM   #4

Thank you guys, I actually have bought a recharger for my battery so I have charged up the battery to 12.8V and still it won’t turn. And actually it does sound as if wiring is playing a big role here. Because it won’t matter if the kill switch is off or on, it doesn’t effect anything. I already ordered new main harness along small harness that connects to the ignition and lights, btw I already installed new key ignition switch still didn’t made any differences.
Is there a way to upload a video that I have recorded while I was trying to crank my scooter?
Thank you guys!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-11-2018, 01:41 PM   #5

Just because you can charge your battery, doesn't mean it's good. I had a battery in my truck once, I turn the key, and nothing. I charge the battery, even though it didn't need it according to the meter, turn the key and nothing. I took it to Napa, and they told me there was a short in the battery, As soon as a load hits it, it shorts out and there is nothing. Don't fool yourself. Take the battery somewhere and have them load test it.

Old 06-11-2018, 02:11 PM   #6

I did took it to autozone and it took them three days to fully charge it. So I guess I’ll purchase a new one than

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-11-2018, 09:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
The best GY6 ignition trouble shooting guide I know of .... https://www.buggydepot.com/tech-cent...uide-no-spark/
You can jump the scooter from a car battery but be careful you don't want to burn your starter up. Limit the cranking time to a few seconds and allow the starter cool down between attempted starts.

They have the AC version. I think I have the DC as the power comes straight from the battery. Also I posted a video on you tube so anyone can suggest me anything.

Old 06-19-2018, 08:49 PM   #8

*******update*****
I have found the issue about engine not cranking which was the clutch starter. I changed that and now it cranks. However, there’s no spark. I have checked for voltage output from DC CDI pin and there’s voltage reading of 5.8V. I can’t seem to find the specs on voltage output from CDI and voltage requirements for spark plug to spark.
Can anyone help me on that?
As far as troubleshooting, I have purchased new DC CDI (orange color, similar size as the origins DC CDI), new sparkplug and it wire and still no spark, yet there’s voltage coming out of DC CDI pin. I’ve been going back and forth with new and old set up, and still the same outcome.

I’ve checked the ground and the green wire is the ground as the black wire delivers power everywhere after the key ignition is on. The red wire delivers power from battery to the key ignition.

I’m running out of ideas, please help.

Old 06-21-2018, 07:46 AM   #9

If you have a DC ignition system here are some wiring diagrams ... pages 8 and 9 for DC... looks like you need 12 volts from the battery to the CDI to charge it and then the trigger impulse from the stator to signal the CDI when to pulse the coil. So I'd be checking the clearance of the of the trigger coil pick up to make sure it's sending enough signal to the CDI and the output of the CDI to the coil. I don't know the values they should be for a DC system. http://www.jr-richscooterdoc.com/Hel..._explained.pdf
Old 06-22-2018, 05:50 PM   #10

Quote:
If you have a DC ignition system here are some wiring diagrams ... pages 8 and 9 for DC... looks like you need 12 volts from the battery to the CDI to charge it and then the trigger impulse from the stator to signal the CDI when to pulse the coil. So I'd be checking the clearance of the of the trigger coil pick up to make sure it's sending enough signal to the CDI and the output of the CDI to the coil. I don't know the values they should be for a DC system. http://www.jr-richscooterdoc.com/Hel..._explained.pdf

I’ve done that.... still won’t deliver that spark 🤯🤯🤯.... I’m trying to find DC wiring harness diagram but the ones I e found so far, they are for AC and DC but different than mine...
I still gotta look around and keep troubleshooting

Old 06-25-2018, 09:32 PM   #11

I have no mechanic skills but to me seems like you are doing everything right to me, why just try to reverse the trouble shooting, start from spark plug gap, then crank with spark out, then the trick with the screw driver in the boot, and make ur way back, , it worked to me, my coil pin was not working on a new coil.... just a suggestion
Old 06-26-2018, 03:54 PM   #12

take the wire off the CDI, the one that goes to the stater impulse signal. Crank the engine and make sure you are getting a good pulse. If you are then check the wires on the CDI and make sure they are connected properly. Then check for a pulse at the primary side of the coil. Also make sure you are getting 12 volts from the battery to the CDI. We need to get this thing going before winter set in....
Old 06-26-2018, 04:02 PM   #13

Quote:
take the wire off the CDI, the one that goes to the stater impulse signal. Crank the engine and make sure you are getting a good pulse. If you are then check the wires on the CDI and make sure they are connected properly. Then check for a pulse at the primary side of the coil. Also make sure you are getting 12 volts from the battery to the CDI. We need to get this thing going before winter set in....

I cirtenly will do the test, however, I live in Florida so winter is no bigi but yea that’ll be a long time. I’ll keep you you guys updated

Old 06-26-2018, 04:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuizzSF View Post
I have no mechanic skills but to me seems like you are doing everything right to me, why just try to reverse the trouble shooting, start from spark plug gap, then crank with spark out, then the trick with the screw driver in the boot, and make ur way back, , it worked to me, my coil pin was not working on a new coil.... just a suggestion

I’ve tested the coil plug via volt meter as I was cranking there was volt output of 5.8V And the spark plug is brand new. Has three caps instead of one (Sport version). I will try the pulse test as the other member suggested.

Old 06-28-2018, 06:02 PM   #15

It is not talked about very much, but when checking the "air-gap" on the pick-up module to flywheel clearance setting, make sure it is about .010". That is about the thickness of a standard business card which works well as a tool when setting it.