Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 250cc +

Old 04-05-2016, 01:18 PM   #1

Elite 250 - seriously heavy rollers?

So I'm going through and replacing all the maintenance stuff, and I've got most everything ordered.... except the rollers. The information available says the stock rollers are a whopping 22.6 grams! That's about 50% heavier than anything I've ever seen mentioned before on a scooter forum.

Anyone have experience with this? I wanna stick with rollers vs sliders this 1st time around, just to have a base to compare it to later on, but man, that seems really heavy when most people are debating 11-15 grams...?

~ SM

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-06-2016, 07:30 AM   #2

I love your scooter!!
My Honda Big Ruckus comes stock with 156 grams,@ 26 grams per roller.
Slugo off the line, ramps up 45mph decently, then you feel a bit of lag, but she will get up to and hold 72-75 or so, depending on where I'm riding.
So I swapped mine out, 3-20 gram sliders, with 3-17 gram rollers.
I Dremeled out 18 gram rollers and weighted them to 17 grams.
I was able to follow BRed's threads (with Vapor charts and graphs) over at TotalRuckus.com. Big Ruckus section/then under Performance threads.
He has a slew of excellent tutorials on how to get the lead of the BR's ass, and make it a much more fun machine without any engine machine work.
I also did the hot engine running valve adjustment, and reset my idle, and A/F setting.
Erlandson belts are over at Motorcycle Superstore, mine is about $50.00 or so.

I hope she gives you years of fun.
I bought my BR used, and drove to go get it. When there and looking it over, the guy, seemed to think I was going to walk, away and I was backing out of the deal.
He dropped his price, before I could open my mouth or take it for a spin!!
He did not know about TotalRuckus, (there is a Big Scooter section over there) and how the people were helping each other with how to get the lead out their scooters.
Hondas rear shock for the BR is/was worthless, we installed Ohlins? or YSS.
I think Partizilla, (probably others as well) the parts filch will show what parts can be used on different scooters, of the same brand.
I have come to have the greatest respect for Honda and her small engines. As a young man I hungered for power and speed, the 8 funerals in 1976, made me realize, there is more to life.
I did not ride again for more then 30 years, built a family, a career, put away some investments.
And then I saw a Big Ruckus, and it's ugliness made me love and treasure it!!
Now I get such great dismayed, and sad looks from the big bore folks, it makes me love it all the more!!
But hey, I see beauty in mud puddles, love to give the finger to standard thinking.
Have a blast on that great find man.
Old 04-06-2016, 08:13 PM   #3

Thanks man! I'm excited about it. My fav design is actually the Elite 150 with the pop-up headlight, but I really felt like I needed more oomph, and those 150's tend to be a little more collectible (read: $$$). I think it will serve well once I get it all sorted out. My biggest question is: what color (if any) do I paint it???

Believe it or not, I totally used to lust over the Big Ruckus when it first came out. Absolutely loved the look, and the seat was awesome. But at over $5k, well, I couldn't quite rationalize that for a 250cc.

~SM

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-07-2016, 07:21 AM   #4

[But at over $5k, ]
You are correct!!
I was building a pole building in 2006, and since I also hate payments, I'd save up, and build it as I could afford it.
So by, 2008 when I could pull some funds away from my pole building project, I got the scooter bug, and got myself a fun 150 china doll.
In my area, the hills and what not, had cars up my tail pipe, and I knew by then, I wanted to ride much farther away from home then I was comfortable on it.
I found a decent BR in Maine, went and bought it, for $3800.00
I found TR then got the lead of her ass, and wow what fun.
Bought another, down in New Jersey, with OEM leg shields, Polini variator, huge rear rack,bunch of parts, he was asking $2600.00 as I'm walking around it looking for haggling items, and could see none, he must of thought, I was walking away, and blurted out alright I'll take $2400.00 and I could not pay him and load it up fast enough.
I sold the first one a couple of years later for what I paid for it, found a OEM windshield,
for the one I kept.
I dont care to buy new anything anymore, I love their Forza, but not out of the showroom! I'll wait for a great price.
Have a blast man!! I'll be riding down to either CON in Winston Salem and /or to the Mountain Crawl in Townsend TN in June. I'm wanting to ride the tail down there.