Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 125cc - 249cc

Old 04-14-2013, 11:02 PM   #1

sudden loss of power out ofnowhere

So I suddenly lost power again and while i was trying to give it a little gas to get home it died on me and now it wont start? o.O might anyone know the problemo? I just did the valves by the way and shes been working alot better ever since I did that...I almost thought my loss of power problemo was over o.O;;;; thanks for anyones assistance

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-14-2013, 11:45 PM   #2

If it has the under seat air box, sometimes the snorkel comes loose from it at the bottom of the air box. Check the spade terminals on the coil for a solid connection.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:49 PM   #3

air box? I do beleive that is above my cvt case.... So I should check the Cdi and the coil? I might add everything is stock....I havent changed out the spark plug or anything I might add

Old 04-15-2013, 11:09 AM   #4

When you say it won't start, does it crank? If so, check to make sure your spark plug is tight, check those vacuum lines and intakes to make sure they are tight.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:07 PM   #5

yeah it sounds like she wants to start....and ill check the spark plug make sure all the lines are on good and tight when I get the chance (it rains here till friday)

Old 04-15-2013, 08:00 PM   #6

When checking if spark plug cap is tight and coil wire, you could take spark plug out and place in cap ground to the frame and crank it to see if your getting spark. plus how many mile from the last valve adjustment?
Old 04-15-2013, 08:21 PM   #7

I just did them about a week ago....though I barely rode my scooter without my helmet (for just half a block down and back) last night and i noticed my scooter is alot louder to o.O;;; I can also hear ticking even after my scooter has warmed up and will quicken or slow depending on the rpms and how much gas i give o.O;;;;
Old 04-16-2013, 11:49 AM   #8

Ticking is normal.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:23 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to erictheviking666
How many miles are on it? You mentioned you hadn't changed the plug out yet. If your using a standard non-Iridium plug, it needs to be at least CLEANED (preferably replaced) about every thousand miles to maintain best performance! Do your self a favor and get the Iridium plug it last 5 or 6 times longer than a standard plug. Also you should check your fuel flow and maybe replace the filter.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:05 PM   #10

A soft ticking is ok, a loud ticking should be adjusted in my humble opinion. Just turn the crank till the rocker is completely off the cam lobe, adjust to a tight .004in (take your time and make sure it's right) then do the other one the same way. The air box is the plastic housing around your air filter. Is your air filter cleanish? (some dust ok, oil bad) How old is your gas? Fuel filters clean? Petcock working? If it runs for a bit then stalls, it seems your carb bowl is running dry. Then when it sits for a while, enough fuel seeps in to let it start and run again, then stall. Is that your problem?
Old 04-16-2013, 02:12 PM   #11

Try with a new CDI!!! Had the same issue and it was the CDI dying on mine.
50cc 139QMB, 7g sliders, manual petcock w/ transparent lines, Naraku CDI, Naraku belt, high output racing coil, 18.4mm CVK clone w/ #85 mj and #38 idle, needle @ leanest, OEM pipe mod, Kenda tires, NGK Iridium, lots of LED mods, 2.61L/100km (90 MPG)
Old 04-16-2013, 07:43 PM   #12

like the last time I was riding I just started loosing power...and if i tried to give her gas she would just die faster unless i eased off the throttle (but ill usually dont turn back on the throttle fully only to keep her at her normal idle untill she recovers but she usually dies and ive only kept her from dieing like that one time only) and Ive got about 1,500 miles almost on her....but yeah after she dies I'll usually have to wait a while before shel start back up
Old 04-16-2013, 07:57 PM   #13

oh! and i also notice when i trying to start her back up my gas goes down a bit I THINK so perhaps its the petcock? i usually get gas somewhat often and i use a capful or two of seafoam about every other fill up around
Old 04-17-2013, 03:07 AM   #14

check your fuel filters. Pinch off the fuel line by the tank and pull the filters and put a clean piece of hose on the back end of the filter and blow through it. If you can't get air through it after the gas is pushed out then it's clogged and needs replaced. If thats ok check the vac line to the petcock and try bypassing the petcock temporarily. If it starts and stays running, check the petcock end of the vac line to see if you have good suction. If thats fine replace the petcock. Also slowly take your gas cap off after it stalls and listen for a air hiss as you twist the cap. sometimes the vent in the cap stops letting air in the tank and creates a vacuum. It seems that the problem is your only getting a trickle of gas down to the carb. As the bike sits, without running the gas slowly fills the float bowl, the gas in the bowl gets used up and it acts like it's out of gas because your not getting a good fuel flow to your carb. I would check all that before I started buying parts. All this assumes you have a gravity fed system with the tank behind the seat. Is your air filter clean and the fat tube that runs to the back of the carb secure and leak free?

Last edited by DW; 04-17-2013 at 03:45 AM.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:43 PM   #15

ehh.. will I be able to tell the difference between the air and gas lines? *feels dumb* lol I was suppose to have my uncle help me with this but since he seen my scooter actually hes since changed his mind o.O;;;; if it wasnt for scootdawg or youtube I wouldov never learned or been able to change the oils and do a valve adjustment myself....though I will check my air filter and what not today