Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 125cc - 249cc

Old 07-17-2014, 12:41 PM   #1

Tao Tao Roman 150 - PDI, upgrades, and eventually review

Received my Roman 150 yesterday. I will post more detailed information later but I have a quick question.

I have some Helix vacuum and fuel lines that I'm using to upgrade on the scooter. I got these lines along with a fuel filter from Rolling Wrench as part of their upgrade package. I'm having a difficult time getting the fuel line onto the nipples of the fuel filter. I've tried soap, dipping the fuel line in hot water...any other suggestions would be great.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Last edited by nwscooterboy; 07-26-2014 at 04:39 PM.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:26 PM   #2

Stick the tip of a pair of needle nose pliers in the tube to stretch it just a little bit.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:04 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madathlon View Post
Stick the tip of a pair of needle nose pliers in the tube to stretch it just a little bit.
Thank you for that! I actually ended up SLIGHTLY heating the end of the tube with a long lighter and that did the trick...that sucker was tight!

Last edited by nwscooterboy; 07-26-2014 at 04:39 PM.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:43 AM   #4

SUCCESS!!!

Well, I thought it might take me 3-4 afternoons but it ended up to be just a couple. I have 3-4 screws to put on the scoot and install the trunk but for the most part, it's done! Took me probably about 20 hrs total. (probably a lot for most but this is my first one)

Here's what I did....

Unpacked scooter and inspected all parts and welds.
Installed front wheel
Was going to put the liquid in the battery but SURPRISE! This Tao Tao came with a sealed battery compartment with the acid already in it!
Removed as much plastic/housing as I could
Replaced vacuum and fuel lines with Helix tubing and installed NGK sparkplug
More assembly and used loctite on all permanent bolts
Here's where I did a little overkill - opened up all electrical connections and put in di-Electric grease in connection then after closing it up, used silicone around any openings of the connectors to seal it. Living in the Pacific NW, moisture is aplenty here!
Changed motor and gear oil
Did a first start before putting all the plastic on....started right up! I did adjust the idle screw just a bit.
Reinstalled all plastic. Used loctite in appropriate places...also put a dab of silicone on screws that were screwing into plastic to make sure they don't vibrate loose over time.

That's where I'm at at this point. Of course there are like 5 million little screws that hold all the plastics on and I misplaced a few so I need to pick up a few of those today (looks like a common screw I can get at the hardware store), install the seat and then the trunk and I'll be good to go.

A few questions:
Does anyone use the center stand when they park at the store, etc after traveling there? Or do they use the single kickstand? That center stand is kind of a b&#*h to get down but I don't want to look TOO much like a newbie by using just my kickstand if I should be using the center stand all the time.

I know there will be breaking in period...I've noticed just riding it around the driveway today that the exhaust smell is pretty strong smelling. Is this normal for a brand new scooter? I noticed the PDI videos I watched that the guy in one video showed how you can screw out the little caps that are on a carburetor so you can adjust the mix. I wonder if my mix is off? But it might be too early to tell.

The scooter arrived from Scooter Madness (or wherever they have it shipped from) in one piece for the most part...however the "paint job" that is on the main rear body piece - well, check out the pic. Where the stripe is SUPPOSED to meet in the back is waaaay off. I've already submitted this to the company and after I spoke with Tao Tao on the phone, it looks like it will be replaced because obviously it's under warranty.

When I get time, I'll do a little review and give you my feedback after a few rides.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg roman102.jpg (96.8 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by nwscooterboy; 07-26-2014 at 04:40 PM.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:11 PM   #5

My buddy, who has been riding cycles since he was big enough to walk, told me that the strong exhaust smell that I smell is because the engine is cold and that it's running with the choke on and that it will go away once it's warmed up...sounds good to me!

Old 07-19-2014, 09:07 AM   #6

I always use centerstands when park my scoots, I've seen too many scoots fall over thet were on the side stand. The center stand is a bit of a trick, Face toward the side of the bike the centerstand is on. grasp left grip and seat or rack. Step right foot at ball of foot onto centerstand pedal. Push STRAIGHT DOWN with right foot. Should pop right up on the stand, DON'T 'pull' the bike onto it's stand, that's how they become busted.

4T 150cc 157 qmj

24mm carb w 115 main jet and paper cone air filter

Manual petcock w Tygon fuel lines

Scrappy Dog Scooters Retro-slash stainless straight-thru exhaust

RED spring clutch

Adjustable CDI (brand unknown, it's blue and red and works great!)

KOSO high performance variator w 12g sliders

Gates Powerlink 835-20-30 belt

GPS verified 65mph on flats.
Old 07-19-2014, 04:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueboy5000 View Post
I always use centerstands when park my scoots, I've seen too many scoots fall over thet were on the side stand. The center stand is a bit of a trick, Face toward the side of the bike the centerstand is on. grasp left grip and seat or rack. Step right foot at ball of foot onto centerstand pedal. Push STRAIGHT DOWN with right foot. Should pop right up on the stand, DON'T 'pull' the bike onto it's stand, that's how they become busted.
Thanks! I will try that...I was on the "left side" (or drivers side if talking about a car on US highways, lol) trying this - also same side as the centerstand kickstand is on - but I was using my left foot. I will try the right foot method.

I've also seen people put a scooter on the center stand while they were on their bike...like while straddling it. Does that sound right at all?

Old 07-24-2014, 07:18 PM   #8

Woo hoo! Finally got to do my first ride today! Took my knowledge test a couple of days ago...got my permit and I have 90 days until I have to get the wheel test done.

So I went up and down my main street just to practice because it's been quite awhile since I've ridden a motorized 2 wheeler...but it seemed to run really well. Accelerated nicely, braked quick, etc. I then went to the local gas station to check the tires and they were very close to the required 36 psi.

Question...I downloaded a GPS app that allows you to use your cell as a speedometer. The speedometer on the scooter seems to be a bit off and this seems like a common problem with the chinese scooters? (Or else my gps signal is crap, lol) It seems fairly accurate when going slower speeds but once I'm up to 30+ it seems about 7-8 mph off. (The scooter speedometer speed is slower then the gps/phone speedometer) I had a heck of a time installing the speedometer when I was putting on the front wheel but I don't think I installed it incorrectly....any thoughts?

Last edited by nwscooterboy; 07-26-2014 at 04:41 PM.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwscooterboy View Post
SUCCESS!!!

A few questions:
Does anyone use the center stand when they park at the store, etc after traveling there? Or do they use the single kickstand? That center stand is kind of a b&#*h to get down but I don't want to look TOO much like a newbie by using just my kickstand if I should be using the center stand all the time.

I know there will be breaking in period...I've noticed just riding it around the driveway today that the exhaust smell is pretty strong smelling. Is this normal for a brand new scooter? I noticed the PDI videos I watched that the guy in one video showed how you can screw out the little caps that are on a carburetor so you can adjust the mix. I wonder if my mix is off? But it might be too early to tell.

The scooter arrived from Scooter Madness (or wherever they have it shipped from) in one piece for the most part...however the "paint job" that is on the main rear body piece - well, check out the pic. Where the stripe is SUPPOSED to meet in the back is waaaay off. I've already submitted this to the company and after I spoke with Tao Tao on the phone, it looks like it will be replaced because obviously it's under warranty.

When I get time, I'll do a little review and give you my feedback after a few rides.
Man, you are one motivated individual. Hat's off to you.

I find that I almost always use my center stand. Once in a while I'll use the side stand, but that's usually when I'm at home. It just seems "tippy" to me. I always imagine a good stiff breeze or a shopping cart laying it over while I'm in the store.

I don't know if this is true for scooters, but growing up working on air-cooled VWs it was always a rule of thumb to let it warm up a little before making the engine push you down the road. I start it on the center stand and it revs high enough to spin the back wheel for a minute. Then, when the choke opens up, the idle spools down and evens out. The CVT stops spinning the wheel at that point, and I feel like I'm good to go. Not only does this allow the oil to splash around everywhere it's supposed to, but it also lets all the metal bits warm up and snuggle in. John Muir's "How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive" taught me a lot about air cooled engines and how to (and not to) take care of them.

Happy riding!

Hey, look what that idiot said!
Old 07-25-2014, 02:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamus26 View Post
Man, you are one motivated individual. Hat's off to you.

I find that I almost always use my center stand. Once in a while I'll use the side stand, but that's usually when I'm at home. It just seems "tippy" to me. I always imagine a good stiff breeze or a shopping cart laying it over while I'm in the store.

I don't know if this is true for scooters, but growing up working on air-cooled VWs it was always a rule of thumb to let it warm up a little before making the engine push you down the road. I start it on the center stand and it revs high enough to spin the back wheel for a minute. Then, when the choke opens up, the idle spools down and evens out. The CVT stops spinning the wheel at that point, and I feel like I'm good to go. Not only does this allow the oil to splash around everywhere it's supposed to, but it also lets all the metal bits warm up and snuggle in. John Muir's "How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive" taught me a lot about air cooled engines and how to (and not to) take care of them.

Happy riding!
I read that VW book! Awesome! Had many Beetles growing up and part of my adult life.

Thanks for your thoughts...did you see my post about speedometer issues?

Last edited by nwscooterboy; 07-26-2014 at 04:41 PM.
Old 07-26-2014, 05:19 PM   #11

[John Muir's "How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive" taught me]
that mice love to eat his book also!!
When I started to rebuild a 71 Karmann Ghia, I pulled out of a falling down barn, I never thought about it holding a thriving mouse colony.
Left my book under the front boot lid, and the next day, it was half eaten away!!

Back on topic, I'd not worry about the speedo, I dont think any of them are correct.
I could paint the face of mine black, as I just dont really use it much.
I'll make sure I'm doing the speed limit if I got a nut job on my buttocks.
I ride a speed where I feel safe.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:43 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwscooterboy View Post
I read that VW book! Awesome! Had many Beetles growing up and part of my adult life.

Thanks for your thoughts...did you see my post about speedometer issues?
Just did. I really should check mine, too, but I figure as long as I'm keeping up with traffic, I'm fine.

We have a summer car. It's a Porsche 928. The difference between driving that and the scoot is that I will never, ever, ever drive that car the way it is built to be driven. On the scooter, I can ride WOT and push it as hard as it will let me and still not get a speeding ticket!

I love living on the edge.

BTW, I had two copies of that book. One was in really nice shape and all color tabbed for chapters. That's the one I showed people. The one I kept in the van had holes and tears and tape, and the tune-up chapter was almost unreadable from oil and grease stains.

Good times, man.

Hey, look what that idiot said!

Last edited by seamus26; 07-28-2014 at 10:15 AM.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:19 PM   #13

I also purchased a Roman 150 during the past couple of weeks. I was somewhat dismayed by the condition it was in, beyond my cursory inspection upon delivery. There were missing parts (most noticeably the steering column bolt and nut), and the front panel was noticeably dinged. Truthfully, I wasn't surprised, but I started wondering what I was in for otherwise. My intent is to install the Rolling Wrench replacement stuff (quite spendy, imo), but since winter is coming where I live, I was curious to see if the thing would function as delivered. I got it all together, checked the engine space to see if there were any glaring anomalies, and *changed the oil*. I put some gas in it and proceeded to the acid test. Since the electrical was working properly, why not turn it over? It took about 5 tries and the thing started like a champ. I let it run for a half an hour, and stated it again just to make sure it wasn't a fluke. Great success -- purrs like a kitten, and yeah, it's *really* smelly. I ran it again today, and made 'garage laps' -- it was raining. I think this thing is gonna be really fun, and I'm gonna take it out this weekend.
My *detailed* PDI will probably happen in the spring, as the riding season here (MN) is fast winding down.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:24 PM   #14

Yes, do the PDI, if for no other reason than not to have to replace the screws and bolts that will fall off without the PDI. The online scooters of today are much better than the scooters of pre-2008. I keep reading of more successes than failures to even get them to start than I did five or six years ago. Tao Tao has made some fairly good strides in that department of the online scooters. While a Znen scooter bought from a dealer is still up there in the useful department, online scooters are becoming less of a crap shoot.

Enjoy, stay safe and Ride On.
2009 MC-114 50cc Cub Clone- 4,317 miles
twowheeler.yolasite.com/

That's 30,049 China Scootin miles and Counting.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:56 PM   #15

Yeah, I'll go through it with a fine tooth comb this coming spring. It's already getting cold here, and if I screw something up I don't want to have to troubleshoot against the weather clock.
That said, I've taken it around the neighborhood a number of times and have been very impressed by its performance. I was advised by the seller to keep speeds around 30 mph for a reasonable break-in period. It really hauls.
I appreciate the advise, and I can see that I'm really gonna enjoy this.