Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Media :: Reviews :: Classifieds :: General > General Scooter Discussion

Old 07-09-2014, 06:58 PM   #1

new guy/lots of questions

sup dudes, names ivan. i recently just bought a taotao bws for myself and a ssr metro for my girlfriend.

i got some questions about the engines. tao tao has a 150cc gy6? 157qmj? and the Metro says it has a 150cc engine but its a 152qmi?? thats a 125cc model? are they all just different sizes of the base gy6 engine? did i get that right???

other than that - what kinda plug would you run of each of those engines? (i dunno if they need to be different, heard some people use NGK CR7), and what weight gear oil?

any other knowledge you guys can drop on me would be great. i pretty much dont know anything about these. i just wanted one to put around town on nice days.

thanks

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-09-2014, 07:17 PM   #2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GY6_engine

This engines comes in lot of scooters and go carts. Stock sizes range from 50cc to 150cc but it can be modded all the way up to 200cc with lots of major case work.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madathlon View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GY6_engine

This engines comes in lot of scooters and go carts. Stock sizes range from 50cc to 150cc but it can be modded all the way up to 200cc with lots of major case work.
Cool thanks.

what about the other questions?

Also, what grade fuel do you guys run? Do these over heat ever? And what's this about adding or removing weight or something? What's all that about

Old 07-09-2014, 10:01 PM   #4

Assuming they're both new, most Gy6 engines recommended use 10W40 breaking in period first 500-1000 miles and some others switch to a synthetic. I didn't switch, and stuck with Mobil1 10W40 oil on all my scooters, but that's me…also you should do a full PDI inspection of both scooters new or used. and change all fluids. The plug is right or you could go to a iridium plug w/a orange wire coil, and orange cdi for longer/better starting performance and hotter spark, I have 4000miles on them and scoot starts first time all the time
The 157QMJ is a 150cc engine Check the engine casing by the vin# and the #152QMI
Did you get a manual for each scoot nu or used?lol savy

Enjoy, and lots of luck on your buys,Ivan
Old 07-09-2014, 10:26 PM   #5

On Mine my air cleaner was under the seat and would suck in super heated air and over heat (Summer here run in the 110f to 120f ranges at times) so I got an after market air cleaner and relocated it to the side beyond the body

This stopped my overheating issues

Old 07-10-2014, 12:27 AM   #6

Sup dude. I'd run the spark plug that came in it unless it was defective. Contrary to belief an NGK spark plug is not an 'upgrade' over a perfectly functioning spark plug of a different make.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:09 AM   #7

"Sup dude. I'd run the spark plug that came in it unless it was defective. Contrary to belief an NGK spark plug is not an 'upgrade' over a perfectly functioning spark plug of a different make."

How about an IMO with that statement?

Its common knowledge that nearly everyone changes out to an NGK and most of them an irridium. Much better reliability, starting and power...IJAEO (in just about everyones opinion)
Old 07-14-2014, 12:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeler View Post
"Sup dude. I'd run the spark plug that came in it unless it was defective. Contrary to belief an NGK spark plug is not an 'upgrade' over a perfectly functioning spark plug of a different make."

How about an IMO with that statement?

Its common knowledge that nearly everyone changes out to an NGK and most of them an irridium. Much better reliability, starting and power...IJAEO (in just about everyones opinion)
Yes, sorry it was my opinion. I myself changed to a regular NGK when I first bought my scooter. Mine originally came with a Torch plug and I suspect that most of them do. I only base my opinion on my experience with two pieces of equipment that also came with the Torch plug, and they perform just fine.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:19 AM   #9

gy6 bikes use NGKC7HSA plug.

4T 150cc 157 qmj

24mm carb w 115 main jet and paper cone air filter

Manual petcock w Tygon fuel lines

Scrappy Dog Scooters Retro-slash stainless straight-thru exhaust

RED spring clutch

Adjustable CDI (brand unknown, it's blue and red and works great!)

KOSO high performance variator w 12g sliders

Gates Powerlink 835-20-30 belt

GPS verified 65mph on flats.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:33 PM   #10

Sooo got the scoots and put the gfs together and rode a bit. Lots of smoke coming off the exhaust. ..This normal? Looks like the rubber rings are melting once things heat up? What's the deal?
Old 07-26-2014, 12:44 PM   #11

As long as it's coming off the exhaust that's only annoying, not harmful. Where are the rubber rings? I don't know of any near the exhaust.
2009 MC-114 50cc Cub Clone- 4,317 miles
twowheeler.yolasite.com/

That's 30,049 China Scootin miles and Counting.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:48 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madathlon View Post
On Mine my air cleaner was under the seat and would suck in super heated air and over heat (Summer here run in the 110f to 120f ranges at times) so I got an after market air cleaner and relocated it to the side beyond the body

This stopped my overheating issues
That is really cool. I am saving those photos for future reference. My air box is a PITA to get in and out from around my body panels. In fact, it looked like from the factory the snorkel to the carb had cracked at the air box and had been patched and re-cracked, so I patched it again.

BTW, is that radiator hose?

Hey, look what that idiot said!