Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 125cc - 249cc

Old 01-29-2017, 03:15 PM   #1

[Q]Piranha 150cc E Start vs Lifan 150cc E Start vs Pitster Pro 150cc E Start (HELP)

Okay I'll start off with what someone posted on another thread he said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50rider340
Hey I nknow this is a super old thread but thought I'd throw my O2cents in it. Depends if you running dirt or street. Street use lifan all the way 4th gear is less than 1.00 and the piranha is over 1.00. So for dirt I would go with the piranha. For street hands down all my buddies running the piranhas and even the yx160s band through all the gears before I even his 3rd. Its an excellent cruising motor. But they do have there problems you gotta always kick them over at top dead to avoid cracking cases but that goes for both engines. Out of the two I like the lifan the most just because the larger gear ratios. If you wanna see one rip that I managed to fit/machine a xr/crf50 takegawa F6 super head on which is a honda style head on the lifan mid block stud pattern and accept the 32tooth cam gear sproket, it ate up every YX motor even ones with 50 more cc's and V2 heads. heres a video. [video=youtube;818vn90UzVg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=818vn90UzVg[/video]
I'm trying to find out more info on this claim and where to get what I need to do this if I already had the Lifan 150cc engine and this is what I said and asked the person.

Is this the Lifan you're talking about 150cc Manual Electric Start Engine Motor PIT PRO TRAIL DIRT POSTIE BIKE THUMP US | eBay - http://www.ebay.com/itm/142102275764
Furthermore what does the 32tooth mod bring it up to in max speed and does it turn the engine into a 160cc? My mechanic at Acworth Cycle & ATV has been telling me I could put 500 miles on the engine and do a mod to it, so would or is that the same thing here, or would that bring this up to a 190 instead of a 180 mod?

I do like that fact it's a hundred bucks less than a Piranha and I need Electric start for my street lights and am looking for MAX Speed and Speed modificatios to put on this Pagsta Choppa

Right now its got a pit engine Lifan 125cc and gets up to 50/55mph max, I never seen a Lifan 150cc Electric start until after I made a down payment on the Piranha 150cc

But after 500mile mod which engine can I get to max top speed basically, not that I'd ride at that but just in case? LoL

Anyone here care to step in on this? I seen a guy on YouTube with a Pagsta Choppa and a 200cc engine, but all the right sized 200cc's had no electric start or cdi for lights either even, so I'm thinking the best safest and fastest mod I can do is one of the 2 150's better sprockets, maybe better carb and a fuel injector and then last but not least the 500 mile engine, valve, piston mod.

Or would this PitsterPro 150cc allow me the fastest engine modifications for more speed
PitsterPro PP-150-ES 150CC Electric Start Crate Engine | eBay- http://www.ebay.com/itm/162370413443
I see there's this 201cc bore kit 187-201cc Basic Big Bore Kit - http://www.ebay.com/itm/301085647369 - TBW9145 - YX/GPX/Zongchen 150/155/160cc Engines but not sure if it'd work with this engine.

Would the Pitster Pro allow for the largest fastest modifications?

Below you can see the space for the engines.

Piranha I was going to get - http://www.ebay.com/itm/252488189750

I've been longing to find a close to 200cc engine that would fit it properly and give me the speed I want instead of just putting it alongside the road keeping up traffic, and how would it hold up longevity wise on maybe a daily commute nearly or at least 4 days out of a week.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Last edited by CriZTiD; 01-29-2017 at 07:02 PM.
Old 01-29-2017, 03:18 PM   #2

Asking this on all boards cause I've already got $450 down paid on the Piranha 150 but if the PitsterPro does indeed have more afertmarket speed modifications available for it, I'll gladly tell him not to order the Piranha and get that one instead and I'm about to pay a hundred or so more on the Piranha, so need answers soon.
Old 01-29-2017, 04:51 PM   #3

What exactly are you looking to use these engines for?
It sounds like you have little understanding of the mechanical aspects or basics of how they work (no offense meant).
The reason I ask is, you can take ANY engine, and modify it to the verge of exploding but it is not always the best route to take.

It sounds like a few dollars here or there is important to you so I would ask "what exactly are you looking to use these engines for?'

Perhaps we can help you find the most bang for the buck in some other way besides highly modifying a cheap engine.

Old 01-29-2017, 05:09 PM   #4

This Pagsta 2008 Choppa, hence why I'm picking one's that are electric start and have the cdi ignition, so I'll have a all hours bike again and working lights once more. haha

Nope none at all taken, I know I'm mechanically declined and more digitally/technically inclined, can't help hence why I'm asking around before making a buy and a random shot in the dark.

But yes that's why I asked which of those 3 have the best speed performance modifications, I wouldn't wanna pick a unreliable one and poof one day going down the road or one that would only let me go so high up to a mod and then I'm stuck at that for good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tCbRKhz.jpg (72.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 8RYFHtl.jpg (78.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg TrgrYdN.jpg (81.5 KB, 3 views)
Old 01-29-2017, 07:06 PM   #5

Now onto this undetailed modification the user made claims and didn't fill anyone on how-to: "xr/crf50 takegawa F6 super head on which is a honda style head on the lifan mid block stud pattern and accept the 32tooth cam gear sproket" I tried googling around for said parts I'd think one would need but could only come up with $1,300.00 or so complete kits, but I didn't know which or what parts highlighted and keyworded to search for. But the modification is based on a Lifan 150cc!

See his claims here: Post #22

Already got a answer else-where I guess: http://motoredbikes.com/threads/q-sp...rt-help.49285/

Am I right??? Pitster's basically are the same as Piranha's? MotoCross Dirt designed in mind and lots less street? So would I run into this very same problem "Depends if you running dirt or street. Street use lifan all the way 4th gear is less than 1.00 and the piranha is over 1.00." with the Pitster I had in mind?

Last edited by CriZTiD; 01-29-2017 at 07:52 PM.
Old 01-30-2017, 05:15 AM   #6

Ok... I think I know where you are going with this.
I see from the Pagsta adds that they came in 49cc, and 97cc versions.

Why not simply swap out complete engines and go with the 97cc version. That can be modified with a dremel (porting), and basic sprocket changes to make a little powerhouse for as little cash as possible.
Same for the 49cc engine... There is no need, and very little advantage to highly modify these little engines. I'll bet a dollar to a dough-nut that the modified bike you are trying to find info on is no longer running. That's most likely why info is scarce after the initial posts.

Now I used to modify the little honda NC-50 engines that the Lifan is cloned from. They made them in both 2, and 4 stroke versions, and both were little powerhouses that can run forever.
I don't know the other brand you mentioned but I would personally go with a Lifan or an old OEM Honda

The CDI Ignition is just that... The ignition system. That has nothing to do with lighting. The stator/charging coil controls the lighting, and any engine can be adapted for lights. That's not an issue.

Electric start is another thing. If you really want it, then there is no real easy retro fitting one. It's not mandatory in any event.
I run the 50mm big bore kits on the GY6 base engines I have, and I remove the electric start just because the high compression I run taxes the starter too much. Anywhere from 1-3 kicks, and I'm gone...

That comes to my final point. The OEM Lifan 49cc street engine runs 8.5:1 compression.
That can easily be bumped up to 10:1, and add a few torque points. Perhaps the dirt engine is already higher? Fitting lighting to the dirt version is easy enough...

I see your quandary. Which engine should be as easy as what is available cheapest. Then figure anywhere between 100.00, and 300.00 to modify it as much as is reliable, and practical. None of them are burn out screamers but any of them are capable of 50MPH ish, without running nitros or insane cams.
Head work, carbs, and exhausts are your best mods for the money. Gearing dials it in.
If you look up GY6 head porting the same will apply to all these little engines. Forget the exotic stuff (head / cylinder swaps from other brands). Reliability is first on a street engine.
Old 01-30-2017, 06:13 AM   #7

I no longerv have the original 97cc engine, but think I very well will be going with the Lifan 150cc considering its aimed more at street and dirt and since I already paid 440.00 paid in the Piranha all I'd own on it 185 minus the 60 or so I am charging him to set his shop up to be mostly all digital. Something kept telling me to get a newer or performance reaching carb to get more speed, I like the exhaust the way it is, the baffle is taken out and loud mufflers save lifes!

I think I got a mechanic who could wire it right, but I also really want that for key start ignition with electric start RN it's just waiting to be stolen by being kick-start only if I left my helmet hanging on the bars while in a store I feel like someone would or could just hop on and drive right off. HondaTwins helped my old mechanic wire the old Lifan 110 semi with electric start.

As far as theft goes my idea is to get a cheapo motion sensitive alarm system with a horn and GPS tracking sticker hidden somewhere on the bike called StickR only the size of a nickle smartphone accessible and always on GPS status.

Last edited by CriZTiD; 01-31-2017 at 11:52 PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 05:39 PM   #8

Sounds like your on a decent track.

I googled around a little, and found a few scattered threads that deal with those bikes. Mostly older threads on assorted forums but there are some helpful post around. I also think the 150 will really do what you want. It will be physically larger, and a few mods may be needed to the frame but nothing a rocket surgeon can't handle.
If you do need welding, look for a guy with a TIG welder. It makes a much better finish on these chromolly frames.

Something that helps with ride off theft is installing a hidden toggle switch to cut the Ignition coil power or ground wire. Most of these things get stolen with vans or pickup trucks so the idea of a tracker is great.
Gotta love the bigger cities huh?
Old 01-31-2017, 07:22 PM   #9

Oh yes I love my lil Pagsta Choppa or P.O.S. as a few motocross friends called it at first until they realized how much of a lil bad ass it was and could be with the right engine. hahaha! This will be my 3rd Lifan engine and I guess the 3rd time will be a charm, my motocross friend from teenage childhood friendship has already been fine tuning and tweaking out and modding away and jokingly around stealing it away from me when I'm at a girlfriends house in his neighborhood and tightening things up on me for it when they tend to get a lil too loose and rattly, gotta love friends like that, he told me when the new Lifan is in he'll help with rigging up a better engine mount then too!! Everyone was always telling me to get rid of it and I'd just laugh and say naw I need to get rid of the crappy low powered engine. RN On parkways and other 4 lane roads, I can go fast enough to not hold up traffic too much at max speed averaging between 50 to 55mph depending on hills and if brakes don't work fast enough I'm learning already to master downshifting. The 97cc was the am foreign car mechanic he didn't know where to get replacement parts and told me to get a new engine if I could find one so I did and paid for it brought it and the bike down to him then he stupidly put it on with a gun and overtightened the engine casing and CRACK That was a Lifan but with me maintaining the oil leak that damn lil Lifan 110cc won my respect with me driving it 65 or 45 miles (round trip) a day 3 days a week and other small time round the block riding one time I didn't mind the oil and let the leak get too low and the engine locked up on me and I had to call a friend with a pickup truck to help me get home that was a semi-auto(Those trips went on for about 6 to 8 weeks) then I took it to the speciality guy who specializes in small engines, lawn mowers, moped/scooters and motorcycles and have been using him ever since he then got me a unbranded 125cc semi-automatic both those semi's had electric start and IDK I think I accidentally locked it up too one day (No dang oii indicators!! I hate it, but it's teaching me to be mindful and observant haha) then we ordered me the Lifan 125cc pitengine no electric start cdi wiring but nothing to ignite it too as we already tried every which way but loose and now he's got the info on where to get this electric start 150cc Lifan, so Lifan's really have won my respect on how much of a beating and torture those lil fEckers can from, so I'd feel much more comfortable risking it on a brand I already know and have use and yes my motocross friend told me the takegawa mod involves a 32 spoked rear tire chainwheel sprocket, I like it that the Lifan defaultly comes with a 15 toothed engine sprocket as thats whats recommended for best top speed. Guess all thats left for me to hunt and ask around about a good performance racing carb that would work best with this style frame of a bike and that engine then flush out the fuel injection system maybe with some octane booster liquids and what not, then I'll be all set even when the 180/190/201cc big bore head modification comes after 500 miles, that was my only other quirk and concern with those Piranhas and Pitsters them having the narrower more triangular shaped heads, not much room or size to work with on oversized valves with them, unless I got things mixed up in how I'd understand and comprehend that with my declined knowledge of mechanics. haha

Last upgrade to do with maybe would be somehow fitting a lil bit bigger battery in it and a more powerful headlight, maybe one that's led or something.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:40 PM   #10

Are these of any good too?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301818086683

Old 01-31-2017, 11:40 PM   #11

Mine has a handlebar lock key entry only, turn it so far lock it, but I would like to add the hidden dead grounding switch and the hidden GSP StickR tracking tag, maybe even the throttle brake lock lever, it also sort of protected when key only ignition works, leave it in 1st while parked with the steering locked and maybe the throttle brake lock, be impossible to move and roll off with UNLESS 2 or 3 of them really picked it up, and carried it into whatever.
Old 02-01-2017, 07:07 AM   #12

On carbs is the larger the better and faster or the smaller? I've seen 24mm all the way up to I wanna say 32mm

Okay yup the 32mm would allow for maxium gas flow but I'd prolly be gulping down gas more than a slurpee then!! RN On the 125cc it averages out to around 115 miles per full drum and it's a 3 gallon one which I averaged out to be 38 miles per gallon, so I wonder how much of a difference that would be to a 150cc and a 32mm'er carb. Hrmmmmm!!!!

Last edited by CriZTiD; 02-01-2017 at 08:10 AM.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:12 AM   #13

You sure know how to pack a lot of punch in your posts. Kind of reminds me of someone...

You certainly have quite a history w/ your bike as well.
I'll start from the bottom up.
Carb size on the 150cc is usually around 24mm. That's a good balance of flow volume, and flow speed or velocity. As a general rule velocity is your friend. The faster the charge flows the better the atomization of the fuel, and the quicker the throttle response.
Faster velocity is accomplished by a smaller carb bore. Asa you modify things like the exhaust (open baffle) or intake filter (K&N type) or head porting/valve work you also have to increase the volume of the intake charge. That equals a larger diameter carb.

For example... Open the exhaust baffle=26mm. Exhaust, and air filter=28mm. Exhaust, air filter, ported head =28mm. Just sort of a general way of looking at it.

Those Lifans use a flange type mount that is cast onto the carb for mounting. That makes the carbs a little more expensive BUT, there are adapters available that allow you to mount a flange on the engine, and rubber couple any (OKO, Mikuni, CVK clones, whatever) after market carb. That is the route I would take.
I think Benji at TreatlandTV.com has those adapters. He's a great guy, and really knows these engines. Tell him Zombie sent you, and you'll be golden...

The anti theft stuff... I used to carry a 1/2" chain on my bikes when I lived where people stole bikes. I ran it from wheel to wheel. There was no rolling that.
With the world today, and SOOOO MANY thieves around it's a tough call. GPS is probably your best bet. I mean you go to the mall, and your shit is gone. I guess you could say I'm more of a "Dirty Harry" fan than I am a "It takes a Thief" fan.
More people need their arses blasted today than ever before. Just the way it is...

Anyway... I'd spend a few hours camped out on Ebay looking up Lifan. There is a TON of after market stuff, and you'll find practically everything you will need at the best cost.
Then once you find the parts you need, call Benji (Treatland), and see what he can do on pricing. He's still passionate about these small bikes, and is very willing to help a bro out.

OIL< OIL< OIL!!! Every day, and every two months...
Check it every day, and change it every two months. Full synthetic is what I use (after breakin), and it's so cheap for these little bikes that there is no reason not to change it often.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CriZTiD View Post
On carbs is the larger the better and faster or the smaller? I've seen 24mm all the way up to I wanna say 32mm

Okay yup the 32mm would allow for maxium gas flow but I'd prolly be gulping down gas more than a slurpee then!! RN On the 125cc it averages out to around 115 miles per full drum and it's a 3 gallon one which I averaged out to be 38 miles per gallon, so I wonder how much of a difference that would be to a 150cc and a 32mm'er carb. Hrmmmmm!!!!
32mm is way to large for a 150cc 4 stroke.
I would stay at or below 28mm.
For a bone stock 150cc 24-26 is good. For a slightly modified intake/exhaust 26-28mm.
For a drag bike with a lumpy cam, and 10k rpm... 30 is as large as I would go.
I'm building a 150cc GY6, and doing some fairly solid mods. I'll run a 28 on mine but it will be a CVK type carb (vacuum controlled).
Id say on a Lifan, and some minor mods (even w/ a big bore kit) 26mm OKO flatslide will be all you need.
Solid throttle response, and decent fuel economy... (40-60 something???MPG)

A whole forum worth of people, and it looks like it's just you/me/and this guy http://scootdawg.net/album.php?albumid=59&pictureid=325
Old 02-03-2017, 08:16 PM   #15

Right I hate when good sites with potential die down and off from inactivity...

Any other info about the CVK Carb? Or would I just use the search keywords CVK 28mm 150cc Carb(orator)?

Good to know though I was worried about going to large and just flooding TF outta it more than anything cause of that and economical fueling.