Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 50cc - 124cc

Old 05-20-2013, 05:19 AM   #1

Send a message via MSN to lykos23 Send a message via Skype™ to lykos23
Three Variator Weights?

Original Post:
Quote:
I've been reading up on variator weights for helpful hints and tips at finding the perfect combination and I stumbled on one post where someone only used 3 of 6 weights in their variator. So far my 4g sliders are on the way and I've been playing around with my 9g and 6g, even mixing them to test what would happen. No matter what, my 9g rollers make it so I can't go over 25mph uphill, and I lose 1mph topend because I can't accelerate fast enough to reach my top speed.

So I was wondering if I could possibly utilize only 3 of my 9g roller weights to achieve a 4.5g equivalent just to toy around with. Will this damage my variator? If there's any risk of damage I'll just wait for my 4g sliders to combine with my 9gs in order to attain a 6.5g, which is 5.5g roller equivalent.
Update:
I hope nobody thinks I forgot to update here

I got my 38 idle jet, v slides, and all my weights now and I think I'm going to have to re test all my speeds since I'm now able to take the tape off of my filter without bogging out my idle.

Starting with all 4g weights, at 267lbs on a 2009 peace sports 50, 63cc scooter, only now with an unrestricted freeflow filter.

4g:
35mph uphill, 33mph GPS

40mph flat terrain, 36mph GPS

45mph downhill, 39mph GPS

Three 4g and three 9g:

32mph uphill, 28mph GPS

40mph flat terrain, 37mph GPS

50mph downhill, 43mph GPS

Six 9g:

30mph up hill, 25mph GPS

40mph flat terrain, 38mph GPS

47mph downhill, 40mph GPS

Three 4g sliders and Three 6.5g rollers:

33mph uphill,

~40mph flat terrain, 37mph GPS

48mph downhill,

I've finished the first phase of testing!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Last edited by lykos23; 06-03-2013 at 08:02 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:54 AM   #2

I tried and holy hell is there a difference!

30+ uphill, 37+ on flat terrain, 50mph downhill! Not to mention the incredible takeoff.

I can't wait to get my 4g sliders
Old 05-20-2013, 12:30 PM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to techie610
Lighter Weights make for fast take off and accl.
Heavier weights have more top speed.
Most of the time, anyways. But if you tweak you CVT, there are too many possibilities to count. not to mention, different bike, rider and bike weights, and environmental changes.

Sliders also have a different effect than rollers, even at the same weight.
Keep us posted with your findings.
68 ( GPS Verified )
76 MPG
Few Mods, Lots-O-Tweaks

2003 Vento Zip R3i TurboCam
50cc 2T
8,500+ Mi.
62mph ( GPS Verified )
90 MPG
Seriously Modded

Check out the new group for the Mountain Area!
http://www.scootdawg.net/group.php?groupid=4

Old 05-20-2013, 12:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by techie610 View Post
Lighter Weights make for fast take off and accl.
Heavier weights have more top speed.
Most of the time, anyways. But if you tweak you CVT, there are too many possibilities to count. not to mention, different bike, rider and bike weights, and environmental changes.

Sliders also have a different effect than rollers, even at the same weight.
Keep us posted with your findings.
Well, after some searching through google and other forums, I've found other scooter riders that have tried using only 3 weights in their variator as opposed to the usual six, and what it seems to do is simply divide the weight in half while doubling the speed in which they wear out. Since I'll only be using 3 weights for less than a week I'm not worried about wearing them out, especially since I only need 3 of them and I have another 3 in my pack.

Right now I'm using dr. pulley 9g sliders, and I'm only using 3 of them inside my variator. Doing so has increased my speed and takeoff dramatically.

With six 6.5g rollers my top speed is about 45mph downhill (though I've hit 50mph in a few instances), my flat terrain speed is about 35mph, and uphill I go around 29-30mph.

With six 9g sliders my takeoff is slow, my flat terrain speed is barely 34mph (because I can't go higher between stopsigns or stoplights), my uphill speed is barely 25mph, and downhill I can barely go 44mph.

With 3 6.5g rollers and 3 9g sliders my speed is a bit better, I can go around 25mph uphill, 35 on flat terrain, and about 44-45mph downhill. It's very similar to just using six 9g sliders.

Now I'm using just three 9g sliders (which should be equivalent to 6 4.5g sliders) and everything is dramatically faster. I can almost hit 40mph on flat terrain, I go 30-35mph uphill, and I can hit 50mph downhill with ease.

When my 4g sliders arrive I plan on mixing them with my 9g to attain a 6.5g slider combination, this is equal in weight to my 6.5g rollers which should mean it is equivalent to 5.5g rollers which will increase my takeoff by a bit, and since they're dr. pulley my topend should be higher despite being lighter than stock. It is incredible the difference these small tweaks do.

I'll update once I finally get my 4g sliders in the mail.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:06 PM   #5

The way the weights are spread out is not symmetrical. I don't advise running like that. It causes uneven pressure on the belt and excess vibration that doesn't seem bad at first but that can cause severe damage should any parts fail catastrophically.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:07 PM   #6

The optimum people usually run with stock variators are 5-6 gram rollers or 6 gram sliders.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:26 AM   #7

Well, if the weights are evenly spaced, then it would be symmetrical..
The weight of choosing depends on the riders weight and location.

I am running, in a GY6 150, 3 14.5 Sliders, and 3 17 Rollers.
Started out as just a test, but worked out great for me.
68 ( GPS Verified )
76 MPG
Few Mods, Lots-O-Tweaks

50cc 2T
8,500+ Mi.
62mph ( GPS Verified )
90 MPG
Seriously Modded

Old 05-21-2013, 02:37 AM   #8

Now I'm just confused. Will running sans 3 weights for less than a week ruin my parts or no? It seems symmetrical to me, and it appears to not have extra vibration, but I'm no expert.

I've seen a lot of different posts by a lot of different people with a lot of different weight variations. Most of the posts I read the person utilized 4g roller weights in order to sacrifice some topend for acceleration. With a technical 4.5g weight combination currently my setup is ALMOST satisfactory.

I weigh around 250lbs, so figuring out the best weight combination is perplexing to me. Too heavy and I can't go up hills and my acceleration is incredibly slow, too light and I lose my topend. According to what I've experienced, 5.5g rollers or 6.5g sliders would seemingly be my personal best bet.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:12 AM   #9

You may not feel the vibration but it does do it, the majority of engine vibrations are damped by the rubber suspension bushings. The big problem is it putting uneven pressure on the variator this can lead to very quick wear on the belt, especially if you're still running a stock belt. Definitely get a gates or bando. It's the number one recommendation on the first part to replace. The belt is nearly impossible to replace on the road so if it breaks you're stranded. That's why you shouldn't run with three weights.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertydude View Post
You may not feel the vibration but it does do it, the majority of engine vibrations are damped by the rubber suspension bushings. The big problem is it putting uneven pressure on the variator this can lead to very quick wear on the belt, especially if you're still running a stock belt. Definitely get a gates or bando. It's the number one recommendation on the first part to replace. The belt is nearly impossible to replace on the road so if it breaks you're stranded. That's why you shouldn't run with three weights.
Well, I took out the three weights as per your advice and replaced them with my six stock rollers.

I'm back to my old speeds and all is boring once again... -sigh-
Old 05-21-2013, 01:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by lykos23 View Post
Well, I took out the three weights as per your advice and replaced them with my six stock rollers.

I'm back to my old speeds and all is boring once again... -sigh-
If the 3 weights are in every other channel, then the varo will spin evenly..
Yes, they will wear faster, but not in a weeks time. And I see no evidence that it will hurt your bike.
However, since you have the opportune moment, why not test it?
Lets us know what happens, so we don't have to guess.

Also, are you using a rubber or Kevlar?
Kevlar belts last longer, and react better, without the slippage that rubbers have.
68 ( GPS Verified )
76 MPG
Few Mods, Lots-O-Tweaks

50cc 2T
8,500+ Mi.
62mph ( GPS Verified )
90 MPG
Seriously Modded

Old 05-21-2013, 01:38 PM   #12

Quote:
If the 3 weights are in every other channel, then the varo will spin evenly..
Yes, they will wear faster, but not in a weeks time. And I see no evidence that it will hurt your bike.
However, since you have the opportune moment, why not test it?
Lets us know what happens, so we don't have to guess.

Also, are you using a rubber or Kevlar?
Kevlar belts last longer, and react better, without the slippage that rubbers have.
I felt it was common sense to space the sliders apart so the weight distribution was even, and I think you're right.

I just came back from the store, and I think I'm going to go back to having 3 weights temporarily. There's just an incredible speed difference between my rollers and sliders. If my variator breaks, well I planned on getting a racing variator anyway. If my belt breaks then that will be surprising because it's not even a thousand miles old. I have a Gates Powerlink belt, and driving around all day with three weights didn't seem to do any immediate damage to anything.

However, I have a new problem. I'm missing just one of my variator v slides. I don't know how long it has been missing, but I just noticed it. I immediately ordered new ones from Absolutely Scooters since they're located only an hour away (only slightly too far to drive on my scooter, argh!) but I'm not even sure if it's safe to drive without them. I've apparently been driving without it for a while now.

I'm going to lay off of driving for a while without that slide, and if any damage occurs I won't know if it's from using 3 weights or from missing a v slide.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:52 PM   #13

Running the weights is fine, but I wouldn't run without that V-Slide.
But you can get them cheap.
About half way down the list :
http://www.scrappydogscooters.com/Re...ent_Parts.html
68 ( GPS Verified )
76 MPG
Few Mods, Lots-O-Tweaks

50cc 2T
8,500+ Mi.
62mph ( GPS Verified )
90 MPG
Seriously Modded

Old 05-21-2013, 06:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Running the weights is fine, but I wouldn't run without that V-Slide.
But you can get them cheap.
About half way down the list :
http://www.scrappydogscooters.com/Re...ent_Parts.html

Thanks, but I already ordered them for $3 from Absolutely-Scooters in Elgin. They're located only an hour from me, so I should get the v slides tomorrow.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:47 AM   #15

perhaps the vario spit the v-glider out since they're not pushed evenly against the plate while decelerating. i'd run it with three rollers for a week, but not with only three sliders since they tend to flip if you run only half of them. and anyway, engineers know better, so i'd wait for the 6 x 4g
50cc 139QMB, 7g sliders, manual petcock w/ transparent lines, Naraku CDI, Naraku belt, high output racing coil, 18.4mm CVK clone w/ #85 mj and #38 idle, needle @ leanest, OEM pipe mod, Kenda tires, NGK Iridium, lots of LED mods, 2.61L/100km (90 MPG)