Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > General > New Member Introductions

Old 01-03-2019, 07:39 PM   #1

2000 Zuma

Hello all, great to be here! New to this site, looking for anyone who can give me some insight on my 2000 Yamaha Zuma. Parts, repair & maintenance. Specifically replacing steering stem race, bearings ect?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 01-04-2019, 12:29 AM   #2

I have a 98 Zuma. I rescued it from a barn with 2200 miles on it. Also had to replace the headset bearings and races. Get a service manual for it from Yamaha. Nothing on it is hard to do. My factory carb is so rotted out. It works but I can no longer open it for servicing. Im gonna do a Malossi cast iron bbk with a Wild Lion exhaust, 17.5 carb, Malossi variator and tuning parts. My pre-bug is super mint, hence the reason I have ridden it over 3000 miles so far still bone stock at 38mph max! ZumaForums has been kinda dead but you may be able to get help there also.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:39 PM   #3

Thanks for reply, i just ordered all new race balls and covers. The factory Yamaha ball bearings are $1.50 each X 88, which is absurd so I found generic
3/16 stainless steel ball bearings on ebay $3.98 for 100. Did you replace with factory Yamaha ball bearings? Also I'd like to switch to an aftermarket air filter as mine is missing. I additionally need a new seat cover. Any ideas? Thanbks again for your help!

Old 01-05-2019, 12:20 PM   #4

I just recieved a aftermarket air box from Scoot Tuning.ca. Its a stock replacement but it has a clear cover with a red filter. Was around $25 if I recall. Looks cool till it gets dirty! The stock seat was always to soft for me. I ordered a Corbin seat. Scooter Swap Shop has OEM style replacement seats for $100. From what I hear the quality is very good. I did taper style headset bearings from All Balls. Meant for a bug-eye Zuma but made them work. Steers super solid and smooth now.
Old 04-28-2019, 03:39 PM   #5

Curious to specific taper style bearing you used. I'm having a problem keeping the bearings in as I believe my steering shaft is a little bent. What tapered bearing worked?

Old 04-29-2019, 10:35 AM   #6

Scooter Tuning.ca is were I got mine from. Not sure of the taper/size as I just put 'em in. Direct fit as they have never given me any issues. I think All Balls makes/made true taper bearings for the pre-bug but I coulnt find them at the time, so I just went with round bearings again. My races are not in the best shape either. I used Super Lube grease as it has been bullet proof in my beach cruiser bicycle. A new steer tube is not that much money for the disc brake models. Pattern replacements at a fraction of the OEM price. NOTE: I stated All Balls tapered for my pre-bug, but they were for my old bug-eye. Got the 2 mixed up, sorry. Now only have the pre-bug.