Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Media :: Reviews :: Classifieds :: General > General Scooter Discussion

Old 05-24-2014, 11:23 AM   #1

Rollers/Sliders?

This has prolly been asked before but what if any are the differences between rollers and sliders for your variator

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-24-2014, 01:34 PM   #2

Rollers are round, Sliders are not. I don't know really, I think that since sliders are already not round they work longer, since rollers get flat spots and stop rolling at some point. I'm switching to sliders. My scooter has over 6000 miles on it and I think the rollers have developed flat spots. Sometimes it will delay up shifting and sometimes gets stuck in "high gear" if you will from a stop.
Old 05-24-2014, 01:52 PM   #3

+1 Everybody says sliders are better and last longer...

https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=66...tion=USA&add=1

Old 05-24-2014, 02:57 PM   #4

I think I read somewhere that rollers don't really roll either which is why they get flat spots. I replaced my rollers at 21,000 miles but they were still within specification but just barely.
Old 05-24-2014, 07:25 PM   #5

I know they pretty much do the same thing just was curious as to if one is better than the other? Will go to the scoot shop on Tuesday as see what they reccomend. I'm thinking heavier cause I would like some more mph.

Old 05-25-2014, 02:23 AM   #6

Hi
I use sliders in all my scoots
They last longer give better low end aceleration and a higher top end speed

I'm partial to Dr pulleys and have had great results with them
Take care and ride safely
Yours Hank
Old 05-25-2014, 05:24 PM   #7

I would be careful about using sliders/rollers that do what Dr. Pulley shows in their video above. What the video does not show is that it eats into the safety margin that keeps the belt from flying off the pulleys.

Here is a video presumably with factory rollers. Notice how close to the maximum diameter of both the front and rear pulleys the belt gets. If the Dr. Pulley system can squeeze the front faces together more as they show to get higher speed, the belt would be close to exceeding the diameter of the front pulleys on the bike in this video. The same is true if the front faces can move farther apart giving a lower, low end. The belt on the rear pulley then would get nearer to the maximum diameter of the pulley.

The Dr. Pulley system can work fine so long as the pulleys are large enough in diameter that the belt cannot come off. The problem for Dr. Pulley is that they cannot know just how close the scooter manufacturers safety margin is but you can check it just like in the video below.

Old 05-26-2014, 01:03 AM   #8

Don't go too heavy on weights. I've done it and it makes your scooter accelerate slowly, because its "up shifts" too early and takes the motor out of its power band.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:12 PM   #9

I've been ridng on sliders for a very long time, through several bikes, they are not unsafe and are perfectly reliable, and they make a nice take-off gains.

4T 150cc 157 qmj

24mm carb w 115 main jet and paper cone air filter

Manual petcock w Tygon fuel lines

Scrappy Dog Scooters Retro-slash stainless straight-thru exhaust

RED spring clutch

Adjustable CDI (brand unknown, it's blue and red and works great!)

KOSO high performance variator w 12g sliders

Gates Powerlink 835-20-30 belt

GPS verified 65mph on flats.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnc View Post
I would be careful about using sliders/rollers that do what Dr. Pulley shows in their video above. What the video does not show is that it eats into the safety margin that keeps the belt from flying off the pulleys.

Here is a video presumably with factory rollers. Notice how close to the maximum diameter of both the front and rear pulleys the belt gets. If the Dr. Pulley system can squeeze the front faces together more as they show to get higher speed, the belt would be close to exceeding the diameter of the front pulleys on the bike in this video. The same is true if the front faces can move farther apart giving a lower, low end. The belt on the rear pulley then would get nearer to the maximum diameter of the pulley.

The Dr. Pulley system can work fine so long as the pulleys are large enough in diameter that the belt cannot come off. The problem for Dr. Pulley is that they cannot know just how close the scooter manufacturers safety margin is but you can check it just like in the video below.

So far, I've found the gy6 157 115mm steep-ramp CVTs to be very much standardized, making the condition you describe extremely improbable to outright completely impossible.

The dimensions and ramp-angles on the KOSO, Dr Pulley and Mallossi 115 large-sized gy6 Variators are extremely similar, and in the case of KOSO and Mallossi exactly the same.

I also find it ridiculous to state that Dr Pulley would not have knowledge of the gy6 150cc margins and parameters as it is arguably the most numerous and common engine on Earth.

4T 150cc 157 qmj

RED spring clutch

Old 05-28-2014, 04:01 AM   #11

Do a video and show us how high the belt rides with their pulleys then.

Quote:
I also find it ridiculous to state that Dr Pulley would not have knowledge of the gy6 150cc margins and parameters as it is arguably the most numerous and common engine on Earth
There was no reference to any particular make or model. The video was to illustrate how high standard rollers can cause the belt to ride up near the edge of the pulley.

Quote:
The problem for Dr. Pulley is that they cannot know just how close the scooter manufacturers safety margin is but you can check it just like in the video below

Last edited by bnc; 05-28-2014 at 03:57 PM.
Old 05-30-2014, 07:57 AM   #12

No, I'm not going to take off a belt-cover and run a bike to prove something that only BNC believes, it's very bad plan to run with the cover off.

I also point out that with the cover installed, the belt CANNOT jump the variator, as there is not enough space inside the cover.

9 out of 10 times the belts simply shred from old age, or poor construction. My basement is a full shop now, and I have never seen someone jump or throw a belt from a variator, and I've changed dozens, if not hundreds in the last ten years.

Lastly, I do not believe the video to be relevant in any way in regards to the effectiveness of mechanical safety of a Dr Pulley variator, or any variator for that matter.

4T 150cc 157 qmj

RED spring clutch

Old 05-30-2014, 08:02 AM   #13

Also, the video is Not how to check where your belt rides. It is MUCH safer to simply mark the variator with a Sharpie marker and then re-assemble the CVT, INCLUDING belt cover, run the bike for a few, and then disassemble the CVT and check you mark.

Though, most of the time, a variator will have shiny surface where the belt rides, which can be easily used to determine the belt-ride height.

4T 150cc 157 qmj

RED spring clutch