Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 250cc +

Old 04-19-2020, 01:54 PM   #1

Exclamation Piaggio X9 Evolution vs Kymco Xciting / Which one?

So I found two scooters that I want to look at and possibly buy. My Genuine Buddy 125cc was stolen a couple of weeks ago. It was found by the police but it was a wreak. So much so that the insurance company declared it totaled. Thus I find myself in the market for a new scooter... well, new to me anyways. I had the Buddy for three years. I think I am ready for a little more power so I can enjoy riding further distances especially on the highway. I would look at motorcycles but I rather focus on driving. There will be a learning curve with shifting gears that I rather avoid. Now I am just wondering which of the two scooters I have found to focus on. I am hoping you all can advise me. So without further adieu, here is what I know of these two scooters.

(1) The Piaggio X9 Evolution. It is a 2005 with 11,000 miles on it. 500cc. It will come with two helmets and two filters. The owner states that it has been very well taken care of, all the fluids changed on time. Clean title. The owner just rode it the other day. The asking price is $1300.

versus

(2) The Kymco Xciting. It is a 2009 with 7,344 miles. 500cc. It also comes with helmet. Seller states he doesn't use it like it should be used. He just drives it around the neighborhood. He lives on a golf course. It is just too much scooter for him and he needs the room in his garage. He works at a car dealership. Swears he has kept up on the maintenance. Drove it around just yesterday. The asking price is $1200.

I am leaning towards the Kymco Xciting due to the year and mileage. But it may be that the Piaggio Evolution has been better maintained. I like the color of the Kymco a bit more than the Piaggio but I probably should not make a decision based on that. LOL So to my mind they are pretty much even which doesn't help me to choose.

I would love to hear everyone's thoughts on this. Which is the better bike to get all things being relatively equal?

Cheers,
Keightley

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-19-2020, 10:53 PM   #2

Neither model is still being imported into the US anymore, but don't let that be an issue. The Piaggio is a nice scooter. Mirrors are CRAZY expensive! Also, make sure it has the master key! Missing master key is a bad sign. Servicing is also expensive and parts are a tad bit more complicated to get in a hurry. Great, fast and fun scooter though.

The Kymco is also very nice. Kymco was constantly changing models around in the US market. I think Kymco has the edge in parts support, but you might get stuck ordering online as well. I also feel the Kymco may have the edge in servicing it yourself with fewer cuss words vs. the Piaggio. Again, the Kymco is a fast and fun scooter.

Modern Vespa forum never has anyone mention the X9. The Kymco forum is all but dead last I checked. Not sure how hard it is to get a physical service manual for either one, but you may prefer a download one.

Sit on both for fit. Can you test ride either of them? The price seems good on both. Oh, go read up on each model on Motor Scooter Guide. Both are listed. My wife and I almost bought a X9 but it was missing the master key and the right mirror was damaged from being dropped. I have a PIaggio Liberty 150 and its been a great scooter. I've also owned a Kymco People 250, the ugly first generation. It was a flat out little tank! Good luck in your choice!
Old 07-19-2021, 07:58 PM   #3

wow I am a newbie that has been doing research and looking what is available within 100 mi of pittsburgh PA . The only Kymco xciting 500 available here is a 2012 priced at 4k though it looks pristine and only has 5k mi on it.
The market is very tight here, I think you are in a good spot with the selections you have available.
Good luck.

Login or Register to Remove Ads