Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 125cc - 249cc

Old 10-07-2017, 08:50 PM   #1

Hi Roscoe Today I pulled the cylinder head to inspect the valves. They were OK, but the Timing Chain Guides were ragged and the Top one that is bolted in the crankcase was rubbing against the side of the chain; somewhat dislocated. I am aware of your suggestions. The engine may have suffered mis-timing as the automatic chain tensioner was pushing against the upper chain guide that was out of position. The chain itself is fine. This is a severely abused machine and every time I remove any part to inspect it...almost every part needs repair or replacement. For example...the O Ring on the Intake manifold was shrunken and dry rotted providing no sealing benefits whatsoever on the cylinder head. No bent valves, no broken timing chain; but severely worn and partially damaged chain guides along with a damaged drive belt were found on it today. The O Ring on the Intake manifold was suspect for quite some time. This is a 2014 scoot with many miles on it.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Last edited by GrouchyOle'Man; 10-19-2017 at 08:15 AM.
Old 10-09-2017, 01:59 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrouchyOle'Man View Post
Hi Roscoe Today I pulled the cylinder head to inspect the valves. They were OK, but the Timing Chain Guides were ragged and the bottom one that is bolted in the crankcase was rubbing against the side of the chain; somewhat dislocated. I am aware of your suggestions. The engine may have suffered mis-timing as the automatic chain tensioner was pushing against the upper chain guide that was out of position. The chain itself is fine. This is a severely abused machine greatand every time I remove any part to inspect it...almost every part needs repair or replacement. For example...the O Ring on the Intake manifold was shrunken and dry rotted providing no sealing benefits whatsoever on the cylinder head. No bent valves, no broken timing chain; but severely worn and partially damaged chain guides along with a damaged drive belt were found on it today. The O Ring on the Intake manifold was suspect for quite some time. This is a 2014 scoot with many miles on it.
Age doesn't hurt as long as preventative maintenance is followed. I have a 2006 & it runs great! Irish
Old 11-24-2017, 12:03 PM   #3

Hi Guys, The "Starving For Fuel" problem was due to a weak vacuum on the Intake manifold caused because it was not completely sealed. A new manifold fixed THAT problem. Still playing with engine timing as engine seems sooooo temperamental. It was running yesterday some on the stand, but not quite right as the airbox wasn't on the carb.

Login or Register to Remove Ads