Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 50cc - 124cc

Old 04-01-2014, 10:29 AM   #1

No! No! No! No! Taotao Already Going 'Put'??

I've been having issues with my scooter the last couple days. I finally found out what was draining the battery and fixed it, and drove it around for the day.

While driving, I noticed it would no longer make it up the hill, and that when I released the throttle, it lost power too quickly, and I would need to twerk the throttle while waiting at lights to keep it from dying.

About half-way through the day, I saw I was down to half a tank. I thought this was sudden, and kept riding, later on to see I was almost on 'E', then on 'E'.

I got some more gas and went home to bed, only to wake up last night and try to start it. The tank still had a full tank of gas, but wouldn't start, only turning over and not catching.

Then I smelled gas. When I looked down, I saw gas streaming from the chain drive or belt drive. It was pouring out the side bottom of it.

What have I done?? Was my unknown failure to check the valves responsible for busting the fuselage? Is there anything I can do, or is my new scooter literally falling apart before my eyes!! It ran so well for a day, I hate to think I'd lose all that money on a lemon, and I need this scooter, it isn't just for fun! Does anyone have any thoughts on what I need to check, or what I need to do to get it running again?

Thanks!

Ride like your life depends on it!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Last edited by Luked; 04-02-2014 at 03:31 AM. Reason: corrected than to then, removed superfluous commas.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:45 PM   #2

On the bottom of the carb there is a drain hose there is a screw that goes in or out to drain the carb bowl. If its loose it will leak gas. That would explain it. It might only be slightly open. Allowing only a small amount to excape so it was still driving. But sputtering when it got low.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:50 PM   #3

Here is a picture of what I am talking about. http://www.scootusa.com/150_connections.htm

Old 04-01-2014, 06:01 PM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to techie610
If the float in the bottom of the Carb. is stuck open, it will allow gas to enter the carb. Having no way to get in the engine, it will run out the airbox.
68 ( GPS Verified )
76 MPG
Few Mods, Lots-O-Tweaks

2003 Vento Zip R3i TurboCam
50cc 2T
8,500+ Mi.
62mph ( GPS Verified )
90 MPG
Seriously Modded

Check out the new group for the Mountain Area!
http://www.scootdawg.net/group.php?groupid=4
Old 04-02-2014, 03:24 AM   #5

Thank you for the exceptional diagram Rhompin! I'll look when I get home, and see what I can tell.

Techie, I'm sorry, I don't know what you mean. By float, do you mean the bobble that measures how full your tank is? How can that be stuck open, and how do I check? I'm sorry, I probably sound ignorant, but I haven't really worked on bikes before.

OH! I just thought of a couple things I did, and wonder if either of them could've affected the gas line? When I recharged the battery, at first it wouldn't start. I opened the seat, and took off a cover to a cylindrical device below it, and a spring popped out. I retrieved the spring, and ensured there was no dust on it and put it back in. After that, the bike started. (?)

The second thing is that after that, I decided to check the oil, and began looking for the dipstick. On a line that runs to the chain/belt drive, there is a little cap that looks like a dipstick. It looks somewhat like an air valve cover, except it seems to clamp on, rather than screw. There is a tension wire clamp around the base where it fastens into the rubber that holds it on more securely. I was trying to figure out how to get that off to check the oil, but now I can see it must be the fuel line. It didn't seem like I even budged or affected it, but could either of those two tamperings be related to the newest issue I'm having?

I appreciate the feedback, thank you!

-Luked

Old 04-02-2014, 10:44 AM   #6

I think the second thing you are talking about is a vaccum line but the first thing I'm not sure. The top of the carb has a spring in it I'm not sure of the name of that though. What techie was talking about the float is inside the carb. It works like a swamp cooler. Basically it's a shut off for the fuel to the inside of the carb. Ill try to find another diagram. Nothing against Chinese scoots but by owning one you will be forced to learn about small motors if you don't plan on taking it some where. When I first got mine I didn't know much at all but I had a friend help me out. I got the basics down but there is always more to learn. Just don't get discouraged with it. It can be kinda fun. Although I realise it can be fustrating expesialy if its your main transportation.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:06 AM   #7

Keep in mind it will be a little different but the same basic idea
Old 04-02-2014, 12:06 PM   #8

Thank you Rhompin! I do think it was the carb with the spring, it was in the engine under the seat, and a light weight spring popped out of the center of the cylinder, but was re-secured when I screwed the cover for it back in. If the float is in the carb, maybe I did screw it up? Doesn't seem like the vac line should do that, and it didn't seem to get disturbed. I understand I'll need to learn about small engines, but I"m afraid I'm too newb, and will take it apart, but won't know how to put it back together. I really need to find someone in Denver to work on it with. I'm afraid I also don't have the electric tools you're supposed to use to tighten the bolts and stuff.

I'm going to locate the bolt underneath, and try to tighten, then take the carb out, and put it back in, make sure the vac line isn't disturbed, and try starting it on empty.

I can understand how it might've been mis-spraying, but don't know why the entire tank would leak out through the chain drive after I turned it off if something wasn't stuck open.. *Ugh*, I guess I may as well break it some more on my way to fixing it-

Cheers!

Old 04-02-2014, 02:13 PM   #9

Hi
Ive found this manual to be of invaluable help for 4stroke scoots
http://www.chinesescooterreference.c...hop_manual.pdf
Hope this helps
Take care and drive safely
Yours Hank
Old 04-02-2014, 03:12 PM   #10

Also YouTube my friend helps a lot. Just type in gy6 oil change or gy6 carb clean. There are hundreds of videos on these things. the 50cc and 150cc are very simalar. Also most of the tools for these are just basic hand tools. Outside of that get a feeler gauge from an auto store just ask they will know what it is you need that to check the valves. They are under 10$
Old 04-03-2014, 05:22 PM   #11

Thanks for the manual! I've needed something like that, mine did not come with one.

I will purchase a feeler, there's a store right next to me. I appreciate the advice about youtube. Sometimes it's harder than it looks on the video though.. I'll just have to practice.

I went to tighten that bolt, and check the float today, but was unable to find the right parts of the scooter to do so. I think for the carb, I didn't take enough of it apart, but when I tried to, I kept losing parts, and bent the pin that goes down into the carb trying to figure out how to reassemble it when it all popped apart. I'm telling you, that part of my brain doesn't work yet!

I did notice a loose screw on a clamp which fastened it to the (motor?) directly above my chain drive. I'm not sure what it is, but it's a piece of accordion (flexible) shaped rubber tubing. I tightened it, and the cycle started again, but I'm not sure if that was what was leaking.

Here is a picture. I circled the tube. The silver band is the clamp I tightened. It actually runs into the box on top, not the one the kickstand comes out of. Did that fix it? I know I'll still have to feel out the valves. Afraid to ride too much till I get that done! Did bending the pin jeopardize my bike in any way?

Here's the pic:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg taotao.jpg (20.8 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by Luked; 04-03-2014 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Corrected Ut to It, accordian to accordion.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:20 PM   #12

No that thing is for air circulation to the cvt my cracked in half and I just took that plastic/ rubber hose off. The easiest way to get to the carb is pull all of the plastics off there are only like 6 bolts and the whole seat and plastic bucket the seat is attached to with a hinge come off the rest just snapps in and out on the floor board
Old 04-04-2014, 11:09 PM   #13

Sounds like to had the top off the carb off which has the needle a diaphragm . The floats and jets are on the bottom inside of the bowl .

The CVT should have an air inlet tubing to allow air to cool the belt as heat will damage and shorten its life .

Scooters have an automatic pecock and if it is stuck open it can flood out the carb and it should drain out of the overflow tube . Motorcycles have a manual valve pecock that is turned to the off position while parked to prevent flooding . The other cool thing about a manual valve is reserve as it can be your best friend if you run low on gas while riding .Many motorcycles lack having a fuel gauge for some silly reason
Old 04-04-2014, 11:13 PM   #14

Send a message via Skype™ to NickDH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luked View Post
Thanks for the manual! I've needed something like that, mine did not come with one.

I will purchase a feeler, there's a store right next to me. I appreciate the advice about youtube. Sometimes it's harder than it looks on the video though.. I'll just have to practice.

I went to tighten that bolt, and check the float today, but was unable to find the right parts of the scooter to do so. I think for the carb, I didn't take enough of it apart, but when I tried to, I kept losing parts, and bent the pin that goes down into the carb trying to figure out how to reassemble it when it all popped apart. I'm telling you, that part of my brain doesn't work yet!

I did notice a loose screw on a clamp which fastened it to the (motor?) directly above my chain drive. I'm not sure what it is, but it's a piece of accordion (flexible) shaped rubber tubing. I tightened it, and the cycle started again, but I'm not sure if that was what was leaking.

Here is a picture. I circled the tube. The silver band is the clamp I tightened. It actually runs into the box on top, not the one the kickstand comes out of. Did that fix it? I know I'll still have to feel out the valves. Afraid to ride too much till I get that done! Did bending the pin jeopardize my bike in any way?

Here's the pic:

Oh boy.
The pin you're talking about is the needle of your diaphgram. If the needle is placed incorrectly, you may either have not enough gas going to your engine for it to run, or too much gas going to the engine.
That needle is delicate, REALLY delicate. Make sure the thing is placed back correctly. The thing above the carb is the diaphgram itself.

EDIT: Skuttadawg replied just as I was writing mine...
Old 04-05-2014, 12:50 AM   #15

Does any one know if that needle is fixed or adjustable?