Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Media :: Reviews :: Classifieds :: General > General Scooter Discussion

Old 07-13-2014, 11:33 PM   #1

Tao Tao Lancer 150cc

So I am going to buy a tao tao lancer 150cc. I have ridden motorcycles in the past but this will be my first scooter. I used a scooter on a cruise this year and it was just FUN. I didnt have the back pain or stress I would have with my Yamaha R6.

So not much info on any forums for the Lancer 150. Mechanically all the 150cc are just the same and different skins for each bike? I picked the Lancer because it is 240lbs dry weight and not so bulky looking, so riding in NYC it will be easier between the cars.

I understand fully about the PDI. Does the Evo PDI also work with the Lancer one? At 2014, do I still need to change all the hoses?

Thanks for all the advice and help!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-14-2014, 08:29 AM   #2

Many of these PDI points are open to discussion. I have a 2008 Eagle Milano 150 which is really a Peace (Bashan) Biella. It has all original hoses, original tire valves and is all original except for the battery and cylinder head which I stupidly broke. There is merit in changing to better hoses but I don't think it's necessary. Double checking the nuts and bolts for tightness is always a good idea and changing the oils is a must. From what I hear the newer models are better than even a few years ago. Lest you think I'm a loose cannon in this discussion my Bashan just turned 8,300 miles and runs like new. The most important thing to remember is that you're buying a $1200, 150cc scooter. If you try to use it like a $3500 Honda or $5000 Vespa it won't last. Keeping it at 45 mph will ensure a long life. Changing the oil at 1,000 miles and keeping up on valve adjustments is a definite need. See my signature for how long a Chinese bike lasts and the numbers keep rising.
2009 MC-114 50cc Cub Clone- 4,317 miles
twowheeler.yolasite.com/

That's 30,049 China Scootin miles and Counting.

Last edited by kz1000st; 10-02-2014 at 08:26 AM.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:33 PM   #3

Thanks for your input. What about the valve stems?

I am actually getting this bike for around $920 online including shipping. Will probably take me the whole day to lock tight the whole bike together.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:21 AM   #4

In 2008 everybody was yelling how bad the valve stems were, how they had them blow out of the wheels and suddenly go flat. From the beginning I have taken Armor All wipes once a season and wiped them down. Mine aren't cracked, hold fine and work. My contention is that all Chinese scooters, except from Sunny Sports, are fairly well outfitted. I wouldn't take a SunL, Massimo, Sunny or anything else Scooter Depot sells as a gift. Everyone else sells fairly decent stuff.

Here's what I know for a fact. My Bashan came from GS Motorworks with all the good stuff, including a Japanese carburetor. A few years ago GS was bought by Tao Tao, before they sold scooters, to both distribute their scooters and advise on what should be in them. John Sanchez was their parts department head and we talked at length about it. John told me constantly that the Prime Directive at GS was not to sell anything that caused warranty headaches. That's why, even today, GS has a limited line of scooters. I would take a Tao Tao in a heartbeat. I have heard many good things about them.
twowheeler.yolasite.com/

Old 07-15-2014, 10:36 AM   #5

Hmm so basically keep the rubber moist and it wont crack. Makes sense. I was thinking of getting the scooter from KillerMotorSports. They seem to be the cheapest for the Tao Tao Lancer 150.

I am glad that the reputation is getting better! Makes me feel a little better when I go on a highway with one.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:56 PM   #6

Someone elsewhere, bought a Tao Tao from Killer. He gave it a good PDI and is having a ball with it. You should be more than alright.
twowheeler.yolasite.com/

Old 07-15-2014, 06:52 PM   #7

bluebrolly...nice to see another Tao Tao buyer! I got my Tao Tao Roman 150 from Scootermadness.com....it will arrive tomorrow! I have all my upgrade stuff ready to go and have googled every PDI procedure I could find....I'm psyched! Too bad the title, etc doesn't come with them when they ship....that's ANOTHER 7-10 days out after I get it tomorrow. But that will give me time to do the PDI slowly and thoroughly and get the motorcycle endorsement. Good luck with yours!
Old 08-08-2014, 11:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwscooterboy View Post
bluebrolly...nice to see another Tao Tao buyer! I got my Tao Tao Roman 150 from Scootermadness.com....it will arrive tomorrow! I have all my upgrade stuff ready to go and have googled every PDI procedure I could find....I'm psyched! Too bad the title, etc doesn't come with them when they ship....that's ANOTHER 7-10 days out after I get it tomorrow. But that will give me time to do the PDI slowly and thoroughly and get the motorcycle endorsement. Good luck with yours!
How did it go? I bought mine and waiting for it to come in on Wed. I called the warehouse and they said not to really worry about most PDI that I see because the rubber and parts that come stock now are much better than 2008+ models and will stand the test of time.

I already have my M endorsement but I agree, waiting for the title sucks.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:23 AM   #9

Howdy bluebrolly. How are liking the Lancer? I recently purchased a Lancer 150 from Killer as well. So far so good for me but I haven't been able to put many miles on it yet, seems like as soon as I got it titled and licensed it decided to rain daily :(

I'm not totally wild about the head lights not exactly what I was expecting but I'm not sure what options are out there to upgrade them.

I don't think you need to replace the hoses but do check their connections.... seems like all of my were barely connected ad clips weren't over the barbs. I just pulled them all off and re-seated the lot...

Killer seemed pretty solid as a dealer, They are little difficult when it comes to communication, but they got me what needed and shipping was supafast. Bikes showed up with minor defects (I ordered an ATM50 as well) a burned out turn signal bulb and a cut in the seat, replacements showed up 2 days after I emailed them... Ha but I never got the email with the tracking number....