Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Media :: Reviews :: Classifieds :: General > General Scooter Discussion

Old 07-11-2015, 02:59 PM   #1

Scooter Article From Chicago

Greg Deluca, 28, of Edgewater, said he has been logging about 150 miles a week on his 125cc Havana Classic. “I drive my scooter for fun — around the city, go for lunch,” he said.
(Jose M. Osorio, Chicago Tribune)
By David Herbling Chicago Tribune

Millennials, especially women, have driven sales of smaller scooters
Amber Kerrigan rides her scooter about 10 miles each day for work — picking up groceries, meeting friends — and for a dash of romance.
"I have no shame in showing up to a date on my scooter and offering a romantic ride seat to someone."
The 24-year-old Lincoln Park resident hails her 50cc silver Vespa, which she named "BusScooty," for providing "a miniadventure each time I hop on."
"The wind in my hair, scooting in and out of parking spaces, tight binds and traffic jams — freedom in my mode of transportation and fun at the same time," said the Groupon sales representative.
Light commutes and recreation have emerged as the main drivers of scooter sales, dealers say, as gas prices have tumbled to about $2.70 a gallon, according to GasBuddy, a Maryland-based firm that tracks gasoline prices. Scooter sales in the U.S. tanked 2.9 percent last year, the second consecutive drop, to 67,000 units.
When gas prices spiked in 2008 to more than $4 a gallon, consumers bought 228,000 scooters, a record. Scooters make sense on a tight budget since some can travel up to 100 miles on a gallon of gas.
Mitch Fields, owner of Arlington Motorsports, said millennials, especially women, have sparked sales of scooters ranging from 50cc to 150cc.
"We have already sold 11 scooters in the last three days," he said, adding that sales have been steady the last three years.
Last year, Fields said, he sold about 125 scooters, a little more than half the sales volume he had in 2008.
Other dealers say they're also riding high.
"This looks to be our biggest year ever," said Vincent Lococo Jr., who owns Vespa Downers Grove, which sells scooter models such as Vespa, Piaggio and Genuine. He said his goal is to sell more than 200 scooters this year.
"It's like a toy," he said of the machines. "It's fun, cheap to fuel and requires minimum maintenance."
Kaitlin Fergus, 29, shares a 2014 Lance Cali Classic 150 cc with her partner. "We both own cars. It's for fun," said Fergus who handles claims at the insurance firm Travelers.
Milan Vujnovic, general manager at Motoworks Chicago, said scooter sales have been flat the last three years, the result of the drop in gas prices.
Still, customers young and old buy flashy scooters in the 150cc range — which cost about $4,799 — for light transport, as well as for recreational purposes, he said.
"People are willing to pay a little more for vintage looks and amazing finishes," Vujnovic said. Vespa models, known for their retro styling, account for 90 percent of his annual sales.
Scooter enthusiasts fork out an extra $1,000 or more for metallic finishes and "cool" colors such as midnight blue, pink or yellow, Vujnovic said. He cited the 150cc Vespa, which sells for $4,799, because of its design and color offerings, compared with a Piaggio with the same engine size that costs $2,999.
Scooters in the 50cc range retail for about $3,600, Vujnovic said. He said he sold about 100 scooters last year, a quarter of the number the firm sold in 2007.
Greg Deluca, 28, of Edgewater, said he has been logging about 150 miles a week on his 125cc Havana Classic.
"I drive my scooter for fun — around the city, go for lunch," said the information technology professional, adding that it is faster and cheaper than public transportation.
2009 MC-114 50cc Cub Clone- 4,317 miles
twowheeler.yolasite.com/

That's 30,049 China Scootin miles and Counting.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-12-2015, 12:51 PM   #2

I'll have to ask my millennial (wife) what her opinion of that article is! Since we've been married (50yrs) I've called her a lot of things but never a millennial! Irish
Old 07-13-2015, 07:54 PM   #3

Great to see scooters get some pub in the windy city. Its extraordinary that people buy scooters in areas that have such short summers and long winters.

Login or Register to Remove Ads