Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Media :: Reviews :: Classifieds :: General > General Scooter Discussion

Old 06-23-2016, 08:28 AM   #1

Grin Ordered TaoTao New Speed 50 - Questions

Howdy,

New here. I have always ridden motorcycles - but just ordered a TaoTao New Speed 50 from Scooter Madness. Questions:

1) Anyone else out there have a new speed 50? If so, any feedback on it?

2) I think this has the same engine as the ATM50-a1. Is this what they call the GY6 engine?

Thanks,

- Woody

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-23-2016, 01:51 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum, Woody.
I don't have the 50, but the engines are basically the same ... and yes, GY6.
I've had my TaoTao, 150 for a year now and have about 1,700 miles on it. With good maintenance, break-in, and moderate riding habits, it should operate well for quite some time.

If you haven't already seen them, there are a series of videos on Youtube about performing the Post Delivery Inspection (PDI). I found them very helpful and a great source of information. Below is the link for the first video.

Old 06-23-2016, 08:12 PM   #3

Thanks Gene. Right - aware of the PDI step. Have started watching videos on final assembly. Just got a tube of Locktite today.

Old 06-24-2016, 07:03 AM   #4

Gene563 said...."With good maintenance, break-in, and moderate riding habits, it should operate well for quite some time."

Words of wisdom right there..... Gene has his ducks in a row

Old 06-30-2016, 11:31 PM   #5

Hey, you got the sexier version of my scooter!

Loads of fun to roll around with. I've got just a hair over 2,500 miles if memory serves. I decided to amp mine up to 88cc for that extra kick with a big bore kit, slap on a new exhaust for pure aesthetic reasons, and will someday wire up a digital readout for the scooter and accessory electrical ports for voltage meter.

The only special thing I've done is frequent oil changes (be sure to use conventional oil during the break-in period). Given I beat the poor thing as I drag it across town at full throttle all the time, it's the least I can do. You might wanna get a battery tender too, just to be safe (if you don't have one already! Hellishly useful little electronic).

Let us know how everything goes! And welcome to the forum!
- 12v Li-Ion Battery
- NGK Spark Plug Sticker (adds .01HP)

Finally able to overcome wind resistance and keep up with city traffic.

Last edited by ForCom5; 06-30-2016 at 11:34 PM. Reason: e: a word
Old 07-01-2016, 08:06 PM   #6

Thanks guys. I did get the New Speed 50 on Thursday. In general I really like it. I had a couple problems but this was related to a couple mistakes I made when assembling the scooter. I omitted to install the axle spacer on the front axle. I am also getting some slight vibration from the steering column - I looked again at the assembly video and re-installed the steering column bolt - and this time installed the locking bolt at the far end of the bolt - which is pretty hard to get at unless you remove the front plastic. I barely had enough room to install the bolt - but did. Short story, if I had look at the assembly video more carefully I would not have had to install the front wheel and steering column bolt twice. It's fun. I got up to 35 mph bone stock. (Speedo read 40 - so in real speed is probably around 35.
Old 09-22-2016, 11:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody_in_MN View Post
Howdy,

New here. I have always ridden motorcycles - but just ordered a TaoTao New Speed 50 from Scooter Madness. Questions:

1) Anyone else out there have a new speed 50? If so, any feedback on it?

2) I think this has the same engine as the ATM50-a1. Is this what they call the GY6 engine?

Thanks,

- Woody
I also had always ridden & raced motorcycles. I was used to power. I bought a new 250cc & was very unhappy with it! I needed a trike because of a leg problem. I ended up turning in the 250 & getting a used 2006 Sportster 1200 with a Trike kit & made some modifications. I have also been riding since I was 15. I'm now 72. I hope that you're happy with the 50. I's a big change! Good Luck! Irish
P.S. I also ran two motorcycle repair & customizing shops in NH. That also explains being used to power!
Old 09-23-2016, 07:27 AM   #8

I get the feeling that 50cc Chinese GY6s are slowly making a name for themselves. As I showed in my post about scooters at work all the rental fleets in Myrtle Beach are using them and the owners are quite happy. If they can stand up to the flogging of renters a conscientious owner should be able to go years on one.
2009 MC-114 50cc Cub Clone- 4,317 miles
twowheeler.yolasite.com/

That's 30,049 China Scootin miles and Counting.

Tags
new speed 50, taotao