Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 125cc - 249cc

Old 09-17-2014, 04:24 AM   #1

Genuine Buddy 150 running lights help

Hey all. New to scooters. I'm fairly mechanical given proper instruction and can hopefully follow electrical advice as well. I got my scooter used off CL. My scooter has aftermarket USA front signal lights. The stock signal lights have been wired to run as running lights. I have a whole bunch of questions.
1. Should I switch these to LED's to put less drain on the battery?

2. If so, what are the bulbs that I need? I'm pretty sure they are #1156, but there seems to be a bunch of different looking LED's with that number.

3. Do I need to add a voltage regulator designed for the LED's?

4. Ideally, I would like to use the rear signal lights as running lights as well. I noticed on Youtube that Voodoo Scooter Parts has a front-to-rear wiring harness kit for this purpose, but when I went to their site it says it is closed indefinitely. Any suggestions?

5. I think I need some sort of Universal Relay as well (?) to make the rear lights work as both running lights and signal lights?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to help me out. Much appreciated.

Peace to all.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-18-2014, 07:39 PM   #2

My Buddy has front turn signal lights that are attached to the bottom of the handle bars and they came from the factory that way. The signal lights in the bodywork are usually called dead lights. Many countries require that the signals be mounted within the body work. In the US, they want the signals mounted higher and further from the centerline of the scoot.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:49 PM   #3

The rear lights you want, will be set up just as your stop/tail light is now. No special relay....just one wire from tail light power, and one from turn signal, and of course an 1157 type bulb and socket. 1157's (2 filament), and 1156's (1 filament) are available in LED form.
I installed an 1157 LED bulb in my stop/tail light because they pull less juice.....when I decided I wanted a second set of rear turn signals...I put bullet lights on the grab rail, and pulled the standard bulbs in favor of 1156 LED's. Left the original turn signals alone...so I didn't have to change flasher.

Login or Register to Remove Ads