Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 50cc - 124cc

Old 07-16-2016, 08:26 PM   #1

Question brake light not working

I have a Tao Tao VIP 50cc. I have found that my brake light isn't working unless you hold the right handle just right. My left brake handle will not light the brake light at all. I don't know how long I have been driving around like that, although it explains some of the honks I have received. I found out that the starter locks out when the light isn't lit, which also explains why I have a hard time starting it. So I need to know which wires (color) should go to where. On both left and right brake handles. And why it could be that the right handle will work if held it in that sweet spot(not fully squeased) Any info or ideas?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-16-2016, 11:32 PM   #2

The brake switch on the right side is well on its way out. It will eventually stop working completely.

As for the left side, it is an electrical issue of some sort, but you will need to do some electrical diagnostics to find out what exactly is at fault. It could be a break in the wire, or at the switch connector, or it could be that the switch itself is dead. I can tell you that the problem with the right brake switch is not causing the left brake switch to be unresponsive, both switches are usually wired in parallel on a Chinese scooter.

As for the starter lockout, that is by design. You aren't supposed to be able to crank the motor over unless you have the brakes applied. Otherwise, you run the risk of falling and/or dropping the bike. This ensures that you already have at least one hand on the handlebar, covering the brake.

Most bikes use the brake lamp system to detect this. When you hold in the brake, it energizes the tail light, which also energizes the engine start button. If the brake switches are toast (or not activated), the start button (and starter relay, and starter motor) will not activate.

The fix is to repair whatever's wrong with the brake lamp system, not override the starter. It's a safety issue.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:34 AM   #3

Your green wires are component (individual)grounds. Switch failure happens 98% of the time because of a loose ground, which causes switches to heat up, and become damaged. So first, give your bike a good once-over and make sure all green and black wires are nice and tight.

Then, replace BOTH brake light switches, there is one on each brake lever.

4T 150cc 157 qmj

24mm carb w 115 main jet and paper cone air filter

Manual petcock w Tygon fuel lines

Scrappy Dog Scooters Retro-slash stainless straight-thru exhaust

RED spring clutch

Adjustable CDI (brand unknown, it's blue and red and works great!)

KOSO high performance variator w 12g sliders

Gates Powerlink 835-20-30 belt

GPS verified 65mph on flats.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Tags
brake lights, starter lock out, taotao