Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Media :: Reviews :: Classifieds :: General > General Scooter Discussion

Old 11-25-2014, 10:03 PM   #16

If you like working on them, get a scoot. If you like riding, get a motorcycle. IMHO

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-26-2014, 09:21 AM   #17

Really enjoy the treads. Love MCs & scooters. Both certainly have their place. I have 2 of each. But - really love riding the scooters a couple of miles to the grocery store. I can put groceries under the seat, in the trunk, and a sack between my legs - even in the cooler weather, for a couple of miles. I can't get over how the 50cc automatic get around side streets. It scoots about as fast as cars do. And, my 150cc that's got an upgrade clutch, electrics, and muffler, really gets with it on secondary roads. I love my Rebels, and my scooters. I just like 2 wheels - especially with motors, ha. Happy, vigilant motoring everyone.
Old 12-23-2014, 02:04 PM   #18

Scooters more fun than motorcycles?

I have been riding motorcycles since 1959/60. I think that it mostly depends on what kind of lifestyle that you are looking for! There are a--holes in every group. When you have ridden as long as I have , you gravitate towards the same kind of people. To answer your question-Riding motorcycles or scooters just depends on what you make of it. It also depends on what you are used to. I just relocated to Fla & bought a 250cc Road Warrior. Already the engine seems to small because i'm used to racing & building Bikes with a bigger engine & more power! Irish

Old 01-06-2015, 02:14 PM   #19

Which is more fun: MC or Scooter?

Maxiscoots have diminished the difference but if you like to shift gears, acceleerate fast, and go off road, motorcycles are more fun.

I traded for a scooter after I retired because my wife and daughters did not want me to buy a motorcycle. They thought a scooter might be less dangerous. I rode motorcycles for 30 years (1960-1990).

I started with a 150cc and then bought a 400cc. I now ride a 650cc Suzuki Burgman which rides much cooler than a motorcycle (engine heat is ducted under the rider), with a driver backrest it is more comfortable, and with a T-box can carry twice the load.

The step through frame makes it easier for an to mount and is almost a necessity if you have a backrest and T-box.

In the city, scooters are just as much fun and usually more comfortable and convenient.

Old 01-17-2015, 08:46 PM   #20

Hello everyone, I will give you all a little back story before I respond to this post, a couple years back I bought a brand new 150cc Chinese scooter, I rode the piss out of that little thing! I rode it even a great deal through a Wisconsin winter, I didn't care it was fun. Any ways a series of irresponsible financial decisions.... Long story short I had to pawn it for $600 to pay a power bill . when I finally got back on my feet I decided to get a motorcycle (first ever) so I picked up 1982 yamaha xs400, very nice clean bike, rode it a year solid, again through a winter (not every day mind you), I eventually traded it for my current bike a 1977 kawasaki KZ750 twin. It is nice to be able to put my wife on the back and hit the interstate and cruse at 80mph,but I must admit I miss my little scooter, it had a fun factor, but more then that it was the absolute perfect vehicle for a warm summer day, if all you wanted was a quiet relaxing ride! I would littarally ride that scooter all day on a nice summer Sunday, that's a feeling I cannot recapture with my motorcycle! I prefer to use my motorcycle to commute as my rout involves interstate travel to work, but I will soon hopefully get onother scooter, definitely a 150cc for me that was the perfect size. Be safe out there, Nathan.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:58 PM   #21

Heck Nate, if looking for a scoot in that range I'd suggest take a peek at the SYM HD200. I bop around on one of these a lot these days & I think it's the best bang for the buck. They tend to hold up a bit better than the Chinese scoots as well, & are about as easy to work on.
Beyond that if you need to be on the superslab there are more than a few scoots in that category. from the big ones, Burgman 650, Kymco Myroad 700 etc to the BV350 & people 300GTI. Those appeal to me since Seattle traffic can feature a lot of stop & go even on the freeway.
Overall I see the lines blurring these days in terms of the more practical applications, particularly with what Honda's doing with their 700c platform & the DCT
Old 01-20-2015, 06:53 AM   #22

I just find getting $600 for a used Chinese scooter from a pawn shop amazing.
2009 MC-114 50cc Cub Clone- 4,317 miles
twowheeler.yolasite.com/

That's 30,049 China Scootin miles and Counting.
Old 05-15-2015, 10:43 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwscooterboy View Post
I have limited experience riding scooters and/or motorcycles but I've always had this perception that scooters are just, well...more fun! I have absolutely nothing to base this on but when I sit and analyze it I think it's based on a couple things. When I think of warm, tropical places to vacation to I always seem to see scooters/mopeds for rent. And who doesn't like bopping around on a scooter while at the beach? I think the other reason is the ease of riding them. Of course with a little practice shifting gears on a motorcycle isn't really that tough but the whole "twist & go" feature that most scooters have reduces the learning curve for most newbies.

Or maybe scooters are more "social"? That many folks that ride motorcycles often do alone but a lot of people that ride scooters do it together? (I'm grasping at straws here, lol).

For those of you that have been riding both longer then I have (which is pretty much everyone on here) what do you think? And why?
You don't need a Motorcycle license for most scooters/mopeds. I assume that's why you see them for rent. John (head up his Butt ) probably couldn't shift anything anyway! Irish
Old 05-15-2015, 12:31 PM   #24

Nathan, Thumbs up on the KZ750. The only motorcycle I ever bought new was a 76 KZ750. Rode that for 10 years. Great all around street and hiway bike..
Old 05-25-2015, 11:42 AM   #25

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by majbett View Post
Maxiscoots have diminished the difference but if you like to shift gears, acceleerate fast, and go off road, motorcycles are more fun.

I traded for a scooter after I retired because my wife and daughters did not want me to buy a motorcycle. They thought a scooter might be less dangerous. I rode motorcycles for 30 years (1960-1990).

I started with a 150cc and then bought a 400cc. I now ride a 650cc Suzuki Burgman which rides much cooler than a motorcycle (engine heat is ducted under the rider), with a driver backrest it is more comfortable, and with a T-box can carry twice the load.

The step through frame makes it easier for an to mount and is almost a necessity if you have a backrest and T-box.

In the city, scooters are just as much fun and usually more comfortable and convenient.

Just for your information , Mustang makes a seat that has an adjustable backrest (it is also removable ) I have one & it is great. I don't have a step-thru frame but I had some steps (footpegs ) fabricated to help me in mounting (game leg ) Irish
P.S. I have a 2006 Sportster 1200cc w/ a Trike Kit.