Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 125cc - 249cc

Old 09-09-2017, 08:49 AM   #1

Info on touring 150cc's

Ok, so i bought the jonway, and my girl friend tried it out and loves it. She wants me to get a larger for myself, and give her the jonway. So here is the thing, i have been looking at the larger touring 150's since i heard the250 scoots are being discontinued and being new to scooters i am trying to get a descent one to last. What i am looking at is a Roketa 150, which claims to hit 65. This is a descent speed, but I am interested in taking it on the interstate since it replaces my bike. The specs says it has a speed limiter and i am not sure which type. I know many have a washer in the variator and others have small jets and CDI boxes that are restricted. If a change these items and add variator roller upgrades, all of which should eliminate the speed limiter possibilities, can anyone tell me what the speed increase should be, or if it would even be interstate worthy, or capable. And i know that i do need more experience on actual scoots before entering the interstates.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-09-2017, 01:58 PM   #2

Just my opinions.....A 150cc scooter has no business on an interstate highway. If you do get one to actually run 65 mph....it won't be long before engine is trashed. You need a motorcycle, or at least a 250 scooter. Before I'd buy a 250 scooter....I'd be taking a really hard look at several motorcycles with, or near that engine size.

As you can see from my signature, I have a Jonway 150....I'm very fond of it, and so far, it has been 100% reliable (13,000 miles). Wouldn't dream of taking it out on the interstate. I have rides much better suited to that kind of work.

If you're going to run the big roads.....you'll be money ahead to buy a more capable machine to start with.

Old 09-09-2017, 03:39 PM   #3

I go along with rks I have a few 300 cc trikes been on the highway once that's it for me. I was do 70 on flat stretch when a couple of rigs blew by me it change my mine for sure. My back roads 55 is great for my wife and I love living the live to the fullest.

Old 09-09-2017, 11:24 PM   #4

I just recently purchased a Roketa MC-06-150 and i'm lucky to hit 50mph at full throttle on a flat stretch or 55mph briefly going downhill. It definitely won't hit the 65mph claims and I wouldn't even consider taking it out on the highway. As the others have mentioned I would consider going with 250cc or greater at a minimum if highway driving is something you plan to do regularly.

Last edited by JeffSGeorge; 09-14-2017 at 12:52 AM.
Old 09-10-2017, 04:29 PM   #5

I use a 200cc Suzuki Burgman for my main transportation. I have used it for long trips, local running around and 2 up most of the time. Great scooter minus a small transmission issue. Will run a solid 70mph, hit 80 max and return around 73mpg's. Before the Burgman I had a 300cc SYM CityCom. Would have bought another one but the lack of parts supply said no. Also had a 125cc Genuine Buddy that I have taken on song crazy long trips and it never missed a beat. Thats my 2 cents.

Old 09-28-2017, 12:23 AM   #6

Now that I have had the Roketa for a while now and it is a bit more broken in, the top end has opened up a bit. Currently has around 750 miles on it. On a normal day, on a flat stretch with moderate wind resistance, I can cruise at 55mph at WOT, at around 8k rpms. On a good day, on a flat stretch with little wind resistance, I can cruise at 60mph at WOT, at around 8.5k to 9k rpms. I have hit around 65mph going downhill, but that doesn't happen frequently. It's been reliable so far, so I cant really complain. Definitely sufficient for commuting back and forth to work and for running errands around town, but for highway driving I still think 250cc would be a minimum.
Old 09-28-2017, 08:07 PM   #7

I bought one of those orange CDIs for my scoot, RAM. It is advertised as having a quicker spark advance and no rev limiter. My scoot is more responsive now, but top end speed didn't really change. I previously installed a performance exhaust and re-jetted carb.
-I may try a hotter coil. They don't cost much. I have considered a taller rear tire to increase my effective gear ratio. I may try sliders too.
-It is much more difficult to increase top speed than acceleration.
-As mentioned above, any top speed increases you attain should only be used for brief periods, like for passing. Revving your engine beyond the design limit continuously will eventually cause a catastrophic failure.
Old 10-27-2017, 06:40 PM   #8

RAM, stay off the interstate with a 150cc no matter who builds it. I am considering big boring my Tao Tao Lancer 150 to become a 170 cc which should reach 65mph, but still she will never see the highway.