Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 125cc - 249cc

Old 09-06-2017, 03:10 PM   #1

Gy6 150cc only starts when cranking fast please help

Never ending problems and I'm sure this one is probably out there somewhere. Scooter will not start unless it is hooked up to 200amp fast start charger. Here's the story, scooter ran great parked it came out next morning and would not start. Everything done to scooter is brand new rebuild (didn't need it but that's what happens when you buy a pos compression gauge). New spark plug, new electric choke. Valves are adjusted properly. So when I came out next morning and would not start messed with it and eventually replaced electric choke and started ran good. Now back to square one. It will only start if I turn battery charger on to 200amp and get it cranking good. When running runs great but will die without giving any gas. Only has 1500 miles. Cdi box? Not sure what to try next. Like I said it does run when cranking over really fast. Has spark and has gas. Not sure if power is getting to the electric choke put volt meter on and shows nothing.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-06-2017, 03:52 PM   #2

So I started it on 200amp fast start and started up and warmed it up good idled good. Then reved it up again and idled down and died. Tried starting and won't start normally even when warmed up so idk if it is the choke. Idk what else to try.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:18 PM   #3

Sound like a starter problem start looking at all wires making sure all are tight when you try cranking touch wires see if starter getting hot if so starter draw is a problem. by you adding 200 amps sounds like you fried Fields inside bet if you took apart and smelt it it will smell burnt but good.

Old 09-06-2017, 10:37 PM   #4

The starter works great and cranks over fine just when I hook it up to 200amp to crank it fast it will start. Last time I had to add a little starting fluid. But it's not like something led up to this problem. It ran and started great parked it over night and next morning it would not start. Valves are adjusted. Has good compression (runs great and does 60mph no prob). Can't be carb adjustment cause it runs great. Maybe something to do with cold starting? Maybe spark isn't strong enough so it needs to be turned over fast to get a lot of spark? Spark plug is new so cdi box?
Old 09-07-2017, 07:20 AM   #5

What I'd do. I'd probably start by giving it a shot of carb cleaner in the throat of the carb with only the scooter battery. If it starts it's fuel related. If it doesn't then starter/ignition problems. If the scooter battery is good and the starter is good check the cables to the starter and ground wires. The cold enrichment only works when the engine is running and the O ring on it must seal it when installed. I'd be using a multimeter and determine voltages between different points while trying to start it and find why the starter/battery aren't enough to start it. CDIs are really cheap, easy to replace and it doesn't hurt to have a spare around. The petcock requires vacuum from the engine to open and allow gas to flow to the carb and some scooters use a pulse vacuum fuel pump so leave the throttle closed when trying to start it. So check your vacuum lines and vacuum when starting.

Old 09-07-2017, 01:24 PM   #6

Again starter draw is between 25 to 35 max and you are putting 200 to it what do you think you are doing to you electric system? If you jump off a car they tell you do not run engine hum wonder why think maybe to many amps when running If you haven't did it in yet you lucky. Have you looked at how thin the wires are on your scooter starter relay is rated at 35 amps max.
Old 09-07-2017, 03:46 PM   #7

Will start trying the stuff above thanks and 200amp didn't hurt nothing have done it before on other scooters. It's not on long enough to hurt anything. Thanks for helping though. Will let you know if I find anything out.
Old 09-07-2017, 04:30 PM   #8

Runs ok when giving it throttle, but dies when throttle is backed off.....Sure sounds like your pilot jet sucked up some crap....and is now plugged. Pull that carb, thoroughly clean those jets, stop with the ether, and the 200 amp charger.

Old 09-10-2017, 08:38 PM   #9

Not a carb problem. Bought a new one same thing going on. Old one had a sealed bowl couldn't get into it. Buying a cdi box now gonna see if it's not giving it good spark?
Old 09-13-2017, 07:27 PM   #10

Not cdi. Still starts and runs great on 200amp start. Not sure what the problem is?
Old 09-14-2017, 07:49 AM   #11

What I'd do ... and did, .. with one of my old scooters was remove the starter and take it apart. Mine was oil soaked and a winding on the armature was burned. The starter wasn't worth trying to repair, I got a new starter and that worked for me. Something like this could be the cause of hard starting with your GY6. The extra amps could be enough to over come the bad starter. If the battery is good and the starter is good and the cables and connections are good, it ought to at least start without jumping it. Why does it not stay running? Vacuum leaks, idle mixture adjustment, valve clearance adjustment. By the way, you can cut slots in the sealed carburetor screws holding the bowl on and remove them with a screw driver.
Old 09-14-2017, 02:33 PM   #12

Will look into it. I just don't get it, ran great started great. Parked it overnight came out next morning and it's doing this. I don't get how stuff like that can happen from just sitting there overnight. When trying to start with just battery it sounds normal. Also only have 1500miles on it.
Old 12-16-2017, 06:07 PM   #13

This thread is great. Another one where we were not informed of the true culprit or the outcome.
Old 12-17-2017, 02:24 PM   #14

We do good work... when it's finally fixed, no returns !
Old 12-21-2017, 04:58 PM   #15

Try a S/P that is known to be good. I once rebuilt a Triumph motorcycle engine & it would not start! I have done enough of them that I knew that it had to be something simple. Even tho the plugs were new , I changed them & it started right up! Irish