Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 50cc - 124cc

Old 10-17-2017, 11:39 AM   #16

do you have any idea as to why the start button may not work? I have put a new kill switch - start button on it and a new starter relay and still the button wont work. I still have to jump the relay to engage the starter.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-18-2017, 03:40 PM   #17

Did I just read you sucked the old gas out with shop vac? I'd suggest not doing that and I'll do most anything.
I'd be checking for vacuum leaks and make sure the gasoline is making it to the carburetor when cranking. Use a multi meter to track down the bad spot in the starting circuit. You said the brakes don't work but you'll still have to depress one of the brake handles to allow the starter circuit to energize. NKG spark plugs aren't much at autozone by the way. Less than 2.50 when I got a couple.
I think my 50cc scooter must have been sitting since 2008 since it had less than 500 miles showing when I got it home at the start of summer. I've put about 400 more on it now. It's my favorite now, the big bore kit made it much more enjoyable.
Old 10-18-2017, 11:20 PM   #18

ok so my new cdi and new coil and spark plug came today.. i put all that on and still have no spark! after all this i think the problem must be the magneto.

Old 10-18-2017, 11:25 PM   #19

New Parts I Have Put On So Far - new start/stop switch , new starter relay, new cdi, new coil, new spark plug, new carburetor, new air filter, new battery.

With all those new parts my start button does not work. the only way i can get the starter to engage is to jump the relay with a screw driver.

The only other thing i know of to try is the magneto and the voltage regulator.

Let me know what you guys think.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:07 AM   #20

I'd use a multimeter and diagnose where the problem is. Here ya go... https://www.buggydepot.com/tech-cent...uide-no-spark/ might as well learn now as later, it's good stuff.

Old 10-19-2017, 01:06 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
I'd use a multimeter and diagnose where the problem is. Here ya go... https://www.buggydepot.com/tech-cent...uide-no-spark/ might as well learn now as later, it's good stuff.
Very Helpful.. Will order me a multimeter next week and get to work

Ordered the Magnito this mourning so that will take care of all the parts that could be faulty as far as it getting no spark.
Old 10-19-2017, 01:22 PM   #22

ordered these

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Magneto-8-P...72.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/27mm-24mm-M...72.m2749.l2649
Old 10-20-2017, 10:05 PM   #23

Alright, lets get this out of the way. You said it started, so I highly doubt the sator or the coil is the issue. When you pull the brake levers (either one) with the key in the on position, does the brake light come on? While either brake lever is pulled in what happens when you press the starter button? Nothing? Did you check the fuse in the battery compartment? I have only had one starter button fail and it took almost 30,000 miles on a SYM CityCom. Also, have only had one stator fail, on a Genuine Buddy 125 with almost 15,000 miles. I know the parts are kinda cheap but there is no point swapping out good parts. The problem will still be there. Go on Scrappy Dog Scooters website and look for the Tech Talk with MO! section. Great advice that is easy to understand. I still think its something simple.
Old 10-21-2017, 11:00 PM   #24

i got the scooter running pretty good today.... i got it started and warmed up and rode it for a good while around the house and took it around the block.. i think the problem was the fact that it hadn't been ran in so long. i did have to rig up a wire to start it but will be wiring in a start button soon. Just happy that i was finally successful at getting it running. I will be putting the brakes on it soon as well. probally start with the back brakes first.
Old 10-22-2017, 12:38 PM   #25

Alright! Now you got it running! A friend is going thru the same thing with a Buddy 125 (Genuine brand) that has been sitting forever and he is having the same issues as you. Difference is I use to own the Buddy and he's close enough that I can get over there and help him. His mechanical ability is very limited but he's willing to learn. Scooters and bikes that have been sitting is not good because the new ethanol added into the gas is causing problems because it hygroscopic, and water does not burn in a fuel system.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:15 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc00ter View Post
Alright! Now you got it running! A friend is going thru the same thing with a Buddy 125 (Genuine brand) that has been sitting forever and he is having the same issues as you. Difference is I use to own the Buddy and he's close enough that I can get over there and help him. His mechanical ability is very limited but he's willing to learn. Scooters and bikes that have been sitting is not good because the new ethanol added into the gas is causing problems because it hygroscopic, and water does not burn in a fuel system.
i went ahead and put the ethanol free gas in it to get it going. i read that its better for the carburetor any ways and it don't take much gas to fill it up so i don't really mind paying for premium gas to put in it.