Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 50cc - 124cc

Old 11-27-2015, 02:43 PM   #1

Razz 82cc "Hoca BBK" on '13 TaoTao Upgrades and Help

Here's my mods.... as of right now! Anything that has a "*", is already done. Anything that has a "-" hasn't been done YET. Anything that has an "X" will NOT be done!!!

I'm running around 43-45mph (GPS Verified)... It's pretty quick up to about 30-35, but then takes a few to get up to "TOP SPEED". Who can help me get to 50mph?!?!

2013 TaoTao 50cc Scooter

Mod List:

* Hoca 50mm (82cc) Big Bore Kit
* Hoca Performance Head
- Cheap, Digital RPM Gauge (7500RPMS MAX!)
* Lighter Performance Cooling Fan
- Kevlar Belt
- Performance roller weights (5 g's in stock variator now - Buy Roller Tuning Kit - 5 & 7's seem "average" for a BBK)
* Performance carb (Jet Size(s)?)
- Carburetor Main Jet Tuning Kit (#88 Main Jet "recommended" for BBK)
* Direct air intake (Add hose for CAI)
- Iridium spark plug
* Performance CDI (Moved "trigger pick-up" to advance timing curve)
- Performance coil (Ground directly to engine block instead of through the wiring harness)
- Performance exhaust (port and polish stock pipe, check exhaust port for any blockage and modify muffler or swap for "Briggs and Stratton Sausage Muffler")
- 1.5k RPM Clutch Spring(s)
- Shave drive boss down to 36mm(+-) (AFTER CHECKING RPM's and PERFORMANCE!)

What y'all think about the 5 gram rollers? I'm about 185-90 lbs and it averages about 43mph. Do I need heavier weights and also what size Clutch SPRINGS and what size MAIN Clutch SPRING?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-28-2015, 06:32 PM   #2

Bump.... need help with the 5g Rollers! What should I be using for my weight?
Old 11-29-2015, 02:02 AM   #3

Choosing the right weight rollers or sliders is not simply use this or that weight. it is an influence on the complete performance picture including take off, mid range and top speed.

As such you need to have an assortment of them, and tune it to the preferences you desire. You should also tune the clutch variator at the same time, or you will end up doing it all over again when you tune the clutch variator.

Before you do that, according to what you stated above something is not right with your setup. a good running 63cc can achieve those road speeds and has the same midrange power plateau.

Old 11-30-2015, 01:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bull View Post
Choosing the right weight rollers or sliders is not simply use this or that weight. it is an influence on the complete performance picture including take off, mid range and top speed.

As such you need to have an assortment of them, and tune it to the preferences you desire. You should also tune the clutch variator at the same time, or you will end up doing it all over again when you tune the clutch variator.

Before you do that, according to what you stated above something is not right with your setup. a good running 63cc can achieve those road speeds and has the same midrange power plateau.
*Not sure what your last Sentence meant? I have the 82cc Hoca BBK ("CALLED" 100cc BBK). What are you referring to, when u say, " you can achieve those road speeds and has the same midrange power plateau."?*

Scooter has PLENTY of power for me at the low end... I'm willing to sacrifice low end, just to get to about 48-50 mph! I'm pretty sure it's all in the CVT Tuning now! I was just wondering what everyone recommended for those types of top speeds... from contra spring, to clutch springs to what weight rollers?

Well, I found 2-3 things that were/are posssibly holding me back! Like I said, bike runs great up to about 30 mph and then takes a while to get to full speed (43-44ish). Here are the culprits:

A. Front rim is just SLIGHTLY bent and the brake caliper was grabbing the rotor a little. I pulled everything off, bled the system and lightly sanded the brake pads down some. This seems to have helped A LOT, as far as getting up that "momentum".

B. Tires were semi flat, I'm 180-90lbs and it was really making this motor struggle!!

C. Belt/Rollers/(other CVT stuff). I believe my belt is starting to wear out, as it will, with the BBK. Usually equals lower top speed and acceleration, if I'm not mistaken. I also ordered a set of 6-7 Gram Rollers, because I think THAT IS another problem with my top end. 5G Rollers, on a STOCK CVT and a BBK?! I believe their getting me up to the 43ish MPH and then just can't move any further (or it takes a helluva longer time!). Hoping 6G Rollers will be right around my "sweet spot".

Now, that said... I did a plug chop and the plug looks AMAZING! I did it on all "3 Stages", 3 new plugs. First time it was at idle for about 10 mins, plug looked perfect. Then I did a "half throttle" ride for about 10 mins, again, plug looked great. And last but def not least, I went out and dogged the mess out of her, plug looked absolutely PERFECT (and yes, I killed the motor while still riding on the middle and up top "jetting") So, the A/F Ratio is dead on, IMO!
Old 11-30-2015, 02:39 PM   #5

My primary testing scooter was a 2009 Peace model 811 (originally thought it was an 803) that had a hidden factory 63cc. With lots of personal tuning, I was able to get it to the same capability as your BBK 100 (82).

It had great acceleration, mid range plateau, top level speed of about 38, downhill about 44 or 45. all gps verified of course.

I knew it extremely well, and could tell very quickly IF something I tried worked or not-- I don't have it anymore, someone borrowed it at nite.

Now, I am learning a new setup that is very impressive and has no mid range problems. Hopefully I can take it to a new level of performance.

Old 11-30-2015, 08:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bull View Post
My primary testing scooter was a 2009 Peace model 811 (originally thought it was an 803) that had a hidden factory 63cc. With lots of personal tuning, I was able to get it to the same capability as your BBK 100 (82).

It had great acceleration, mid range plateau, top level speed of about 38, downhill about 44 or 45. all gps verified of course.

I knew it extremely well, and could tell very quickly IF something I tried worked or not-- I don't have it anymore, someone borrowed it at nite.

Now, I am learning a new setup that is very impressive and has no mid range problems. Hopefully I can take it to a new level of performance.
I'm installing a 1500RPM Contra Spring, New 89mm Variator (along with some heavier roller experimenting), a new front rim/tire/brake caliper, a new rear tire (getting bad around the "edges"), roughen up the clutch pads some and check how that's doing... and THEN see how she runs then. The belt is still in pretty good condition as far as I can see.

What's happened is that someone installed a very nice BBK and then left the rest of the bike "stock", other than the 5 Gram Rollers in the stock 87mm variator! The a/f Ratio is dead on right now... so it's ALL in the "tuning of the CVT" now. Hopefully I can CRUISE at around 45ish and "max out" at around 50mph. I'd be super happy!

My old Metropolitan would've RAPED this thing... lol