Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 50cc - 124cc

Old Yesterday, 11:47 AM   #1

Electrical Issue on 50cc Chinese Scooter

My little 50cc Chinese scooter will not charge the battery. It kick starts just fine and runs just fine, but the battery will not charge. I disconnected all my wiring, installed a new regulator and started my scooter. The output of the regulator was reading around 14-15 volts. Once I started plugging in my other components the voltage output from the regulator went to 0. I believe it burned the regulator out as it was very high when I took it out. I disconnected all my wiring again, installed the old regulator and started the scooter. The regulator was putting out only around 11 volts, 12 max, with high RPMs. I then plugged my other wiring back in and the output of the regulator dropped to 7 volts. I check the stator output and it reads about 20-30 volts at idle and 40-60 volts at high RPMs. Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be? Is my stator just undersized to power all my accessories and charge the battery, or is there maybe a short somewhere?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old Today, 10:59 AM   #2

I'll tell you a funny story. I had a Yamaha Zuma 125, the newer EFI model. I bought some heated grips, I forgot the brand, but they had a "confirmed fitment" for my scooter on the manufacturers website. Oxford, that was the brand! Anyways, they fit just fine BUT if I had them on the high setting and came to idle the scooter would stall and NOT restart. It turns out I was supposed to turn the grips down when coming to a stop as the stator didn't put out enough power at idle to power them on the high setting.

I quit using heated grips after that B.S. and now use heated gloves instead. There is a way to measure the stator output (I saw a how-to on YouTube) and then you multiply that with the draw of you accessories. You can put a larger output stator on, and I've know a few people who have successfully done this.

Does you scooter have a inline fuse going to the battery? I had one blow on a Zuma 50cc and never knew there was a fuse there. Everything worked but the battery was constantly dying after being charged. Check the fuse and make sure it the correct fuse.