Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 125cc - 249cc

Old 12-18-2014, 07:40 PM   #1

Stalling Issue - floor mounted tank and petcock, runs up to carb?

Hi guys. I'm trying not to be "that guy", but I'm new to anything with less than 4 wheels, and all the research I've done for the last few weeks has not prepared me for what I found. I'll give the run down, attach some pictures, and later on a video.

It starts up, seems to idle ok to me, but the second you give it throttle it stalls. Most of the time after a few seconds it'll stall without even giving any throttle. I pinched off the vac hose to the petcock, and it ran much longer, but still stalled on throttle. Since I pinched it off and let it run that way for a little bit it has a much longer sustained idle before stalling. I plan to replace hoses, adjust valves, and all that good stuff this weekend. The guy I bought it from had already replaced the carb, and the plug with no result.

What's got me confused is what I talked about in the title. The petcock is mounted low on the frame, the vacuum lines are split for what I can only assume is one of those intake emissions boxes, and the fuel line runs up from the petcock to the filter, then even further up to the carb. Notice the moisture on the kickstand spring, and the low mounting of the petcock.

Then there's this thing. I have no idea what it is. Could be I'm brain dead from working a lot this week, but I don't recall seeing it mentioned anywhere.

Here's how much fuel is sitting in the filter.

I also noticed that the rubber surround around the engine is broken underneath. I figured that probably wouldn't cause a problem, but figured as long as I'm playing the new guy it would be worth bringing up. Any help is INSANELY appreciated.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 12-19-2014, 04:46 AM   #2

That isn't a petcock, it's a fuel pump. You will probably get results from changing the fuel and vacuum lines. Did he let it sit for a long time? You could have crud in the carb that will require cleaning or treatment with Seafoam.
2009 MC-114 50cc Cub Clone- 4,317 miles
twowheeler.yolasite.com/

That's 30,049 China Scootin miles and Counting.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:35 AM   #3

Thanks! The carb is pretty much brand new, but if calibrating the valves doesn't do the job I'll be checking to make sure there's no crap in there from the factory.

Login or Register to Remove Ads