Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   ScootDawg Forums > Performance :: Maintenance :: Technical > 50cc - 124cc

Old 08-06-2019, 08:00 PM   #1

So decided not to remove carb after consulting several shops. But I did call ScooterWest.com and after telling me "Dude, shut up and listen"LOL, I was told that the Piaggio Typhoons all come with a charcoal cannister for CA EPA emission standards and that many have the same problem as myself due to overfilling the tank and the cannister causes vapor lock in the carb float. He said to remove the cannister, or put holes in it and I spoke to the shop that I'm taking it to tomorrow about that and they said its possible and they would remove it for me if that was the issue. While I'm swallowing my Doityourself Scootdawg pride by taking it to a shop for the first time since being a proud member, I admit defeat! Chinese scoots are much easier, yet I don't miss my Quinqui 50cc, cause I was working on it all the time. My Piaggio never ran better than today with the new plug, rollers etc.(that I did myself) but this fuel issue is a real stumper!!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-07-2019, 10:30 AM   #2

I've yet to overfill a scooter to the point were the fuel goes into the emission canister. I know Piaggio BV350's are prone to that issue and I believe my LIberty 150 is prone to as well. Now the way I understand it is the fuel will burn off and everything will be back to normal after a few miles. Im not testing this theory on my Liberty! Trail Tech is the CHT reader I use. You remove the ring from the spark plug then slip the CHT ring base around the spark plug and mount the gauge to a place you can watch it. Order a extension cord for it, stock one is short. My CHT ring finally broke and replacements are overpriced, plus I sold my last 2 stroke so I no longer need it. Great item to have on hand for trouble shooting so I guess I have to order extra rings though. Still wondering why you even had transmission issues at such low miles to begin with. Post your solution when you get it.